Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, is it really THAT bad in Juarez? Has anyone had the VSG done there?

I'm self pay due to an exclusion, and there is a surgeon in my state who does VSG for right at 10k, which is super reasonable.

That said, I only have about $5k right now, so I'm thinking of going through BeLite and financing the remainder, which wouldn't be too much.

I know you can go to Tijuana instead of Juarez if you want, but I've seen some great pictures of the Juarez hospital.

Have you not even considered Dr. Aceves in Mexicali? For 8750 you could have surgery by one of the most experienced sleeve surgeons around, and stay 3 days in a wonderful hospital.

i went to Garcia in Tijuana for $5000 through Successfully Slimmer. I don't regret it. I had a great experience and never felt unsafe(i went alone). remember that pics don't tell the whole story. do a lot of research and choose a surgeon you feel comfortable with.

I went to Juarez in July 2008 when I had my lap-band with dr. Rod. I also went through be-lite weight (Jessica espina was my facilitator). I do agree that they have some gorgeous hospitals, and I have no complaints with dr rod or staff. I chose Tijuana (w/ dr ponce) because I felt Tijuana was safer (even though I didn't have plans wondering around at either destination). The hospital in Tijuana that I was at (INT Hospital), was very small, but very clean, and nice. And i actually am glad it was a smaller size because it brought fellow sleevers together (i met great people there!)I traveled by myself this time and I was extra happy with my choice in dr/facilitator this go around as well. My facilitator, Trish, was wonderful! She was there to great me at the hospital at almost midnight (my flight was seriously delayed). She came to see me every day, and once I was out of the hospital she took me to get my hair done & spent time with me :) unless things have changed with be-lite weight, when I went, I never met Jessica, and really didn't speak much to her on the phone until I was leaving. So basically in my opinion, you would be "safe" at either place, but if you are traveling alone, I personally recommend Tijuana :)

I considered all of those surgeons, but I need in house financing for the remainder.

I have $5k period, so I'd need part of that out for a flight if the package wasn't all inclusive with air (most aren't).

My credit is pretty terrible so obtaining another type of loan is unlikely.

Some of the surgeons in Mexico would cost almost $9k with airfare, but I have a surgeon in my home state that charges $9600. If I had that much cash, I'd just go see him since he covers a year of complications.

I could probably come up with a total of $10k by January/February, but I'd really like my health to start get better now! I have a higher BMI than typical (50-59 range) so I have thought about this a lot and am ready to get the ball rolling.

Another thing to consider since you are higher BMI is that a lot of surgeons charge additional fee. I know a few that charge $500 on top of surgery costs for the higher BMI, so you might want to verify with whatever doctor it is that you choose so that you can save that extra money as well. Good luck on your journey!

I had my revision surgery at Star Medica with Dr. Rodriguez in april.

I was quite a bit aprehensive about going to Juarez. From where I live now, Juarez is only about a 4 hour drive away. TJ would have been 14 hours or more in the car or a plane trip. I didn't think I would be up for that on the return trip. I believe that Dr Rod does surgery in TJ only once a month so there was more availability in Juarez.

I felt very safe with our driver (Sergio) and in the hospital. Sergio picked us up at the El Paso airport. My friend and I stayed in the hospital the entire time. I arrived on Thursday and was scheduled to stay until Sunday. We ended up leaving a day early which was Saturday evening. We were both ready to be home.

Star Medica Hospital was great. Clean and Modern. Aside from the spoken language, it was almost like any hospital I have been in here in the US.

Gilly

HI!! I just had my surgery with Dr Rodriguez in Juarez June 29th. I was soooo apprehensive because of the news coverage and just the uncertainty! I chose to go through Belite for the exact same reasons! I am self employed so I had a hard time getting financed and I had the $4K down so I could do the surgery without having to save for another 6 months! OK, so I'll give you the good bad and the ugly about my Juarez experience!! First, when we got to El Paso we waited for a few minutes for our Amigo Taxi to pick us up. I traveled with my husband and my daughter. El Paso is great, sandy and empty but good =) After we went through the border I freaked a little because of the outskirts of Juarez! Very poor area, and that doesn't even describe it well! I was very relieved when we got to the hospital and it was super nice! All of the employees wear the same crisp uniforms, the nurses still wear white uniforms with little nurse hats lol Most everyone spoke some level of English which made it easier. After pre op I was admitted and my room was like a spa hotel room! leather couches, plasma tv's, hardwood floors, sooo nice =) I met Dr Rodriguez that same day and he was so informative. He sat down with me and my family for about 30 min and went over the details of the surgery and how everything would play out over the next couple of days. He recommended a restaurant next door for my last dinner before surgery and it was great! The area we were in was very safe and we felt comfortable enough to walk around without worry. My mom and daughter went to the mall across the street the next day (yes, my mother came to visit me as well lol) I met with the entire bariatric team the next morning, surgery day, and they all answered any questions any of us had. I had my freak out moment and thought about backing out LOL but so happy I didn't! I had the best experience ever and all of the apprehension seems so silly now that I look back. We didn't even have any trouble getting across the border, I was concerned because I chose the date and didn't have time to get passports for the 3 of us much less the $$, so we used our birth certificates and drivers licenses. They worked with absolutely no issues!!

If you want my advice, I would say go for it! I loved the hospital, the staff, and especially the doctors! My incisions look great, I have no complications, no nausea, no pain etc. I had a great experience and would recommend Belite, Star Medica, and Dr Rod any time =) Dr Calderon was amazing too, he was my go to Dr whenever I needed anything! He even got everything together to get my mom across the border so she could come visit for 2 days without having to drive her car across. Great guy!

I could go on and on but won't! If you have any questions just shoot me a message and I'll answer as best as I can =) Good luck on your journey and don't think twice about going to Juarez, you will be great!

HI!! I just had my surgery with Dr Rodriguez in Juarez June 29th. I was soooo apprehensive because of the news coverage and just the uncertainty! I chose to go through Belite for the exact same reasons! I am self employed so I had a hard time getting financed and I had the $4K down so I could do the surgery without having to save for another 6 months! OK, so I'll give you the good bad and the ugly about my Juarez experience!! First, when we got to El Paso we waited for a few minutes for our Amigo Taxi to pick us up. I traveled with my husband and my daughter. El Paso is great, sandy and empty but good =) After we went through the border I freaked a little because of the outskirts of Juarez! Very poor area, and that doesn't even describe it well! I was very relieved when we got to the hospital and it was super nice! All of the employees wear the same crisp uniforms, the nurses still wear white uniforms with little nurse hats lol Most everyone spoke some level of English which made it easier. After pre op I was admitted and my room was like a spa hotel room! leather couches, plasma tv's, hardwood floors, sooo nice =) I met Dr Rodriguez that same day and he was so informative. He sat down with me and my family for about 30 min and went over the details of the surgery and how everything would play out over the next couple of days. He recommended a restaurant next door for my last dinner before surgery and it was great! The area we were in was very safe and we felt comfortable enough to walk around without worry. My mom and daughter went to the mall across the street the next day (yes, my mother came to visit me as well lol) I met with the entire bariatric team the next morning, surgery day, and they all answered any questions any of us had. I had my freak out moment and thought about backing out LOL but so happy I didn't! I had the best experience ever and all of the apprehension seems so silly now that I look back. We didn't even have any trouble getting across the border, I was concerned because I chose the date and didn't have time to get passports for the 3 of us much less the $$, so we used our birth certificates and drivers licenses. They worked with absolutely no issues!!

If you want my advice, I would say go for it! I loved the hospital, the staff, and especially the doctors! My incisions look great, I have no complications, no nausea, no pain etc. I had a great experience and would recommend Belite, Star Medica, and Dr Rod any time =) Dr Calderon was amazing too, he was my go to Dr whenever I needed anything! He even got everything together to get my mom across the border so she could come visit for 2 days without having to drive her car across. Great guy!

I could go on and on but won't! If you have any questions just shoot me a message and I'll answer as best as I can =) Good luck on your journey and don't think twice about going to Juarez, you will be great!

Wow! That makes me feel a lot more comfortable. I'm going to message you! :)

Benin,

When do u plan on having ur surgery? I'm n the process of setting my date with dr rod n Juarez. I believe I'm going to do it early sept. I choose him for the same reasons.