Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux With Sleeve?

I had my band put in in Cancun by Dr verboonen in July 2010. (They were great by the way.) At first it went well, and I have a good local doctor for fills and I lost about 80 pounds. But then I started getting terrible reflux, and it went on and on, and Prilosec and then Nexium were not working. I had an endoscopy last fall they found a couple of ulcerations in my esophagus. So I had to drain my fills. I'm on omeprazole now but still get reflux several times a week and still have to sleep propped up. It's nowhere near as bad as before, but still an issue. My weight loss has stopped. Thankfully I only gained 8 pounds after the "un-fill" and have stuck there. But I don't see how I will ever get another fill, if I still have reflux on 40mg of omeprazole and zero fill. So the band to me is just something I want out.

I am considering revision with dr. verboonen. But the one thing about the band is that it is reversible. A sleeve is not. If I'm still going to suffer from reflux then there's no point.

I would really appreciate anyone's experiences with reflux and the sleeve.

Thanks!

I had reflux and heartburn pre-sleeve, though I didn't think it was that bad. After the sleeve was a different story. 2 weeks after surgery I was unable to eat or drink anything due to severe pain and was hospitalized. I am currently on Carafate (liquid) 4x a day and Protonix 40m 2x a day. I guess the doc thought I would be okay after finishing off my carafate, but 2 days later I was having the same issues so I am back on carafate for who knows how long. (I'll take it the rest of my life if need be to avoid that pain.)

This is something I was worried about myself. I have carafate and Omeprazole - 40 mg 2'x a day prior to sleeve. I seriously hope it doesn't get worse after sleeve.

Why don't you call and find out if you can continue taking it post-sleeve? I know none of us want to be on meds, but I truly believe for those with reflux and stomach/esophageal erosion it's necessary.

They can give you the omeprazole through your iv so you don't have to swallow it and the carafate is liquid. I also take 3 or so gas x strips after I eat anything. That combo works for me really well. My pcp listened to my belly a couple weeks ago and couldn't hear a thing, which has always been unusual for me.

i had never heard of carafate until reading it here - what is it? The weird thing is that when I had my surgery they found I had a huge hiatal hernia (which they fixed). I never knew I had it and never had reflux before my surgery so never would have known. So I no longer have the hernia and now I have all the reflux.

My doctor would probably up my dosage to 40mg twice a day of omeprazole if I asked, but just not sure about doing that much PPI long term. I already showed reduced Vitamin D and B12 and have to take supplements.

I have been on Omeprazole for about 6 years, it doesn't seem to cause me problems, it makes me feel much better. The Carafate is a liquid form and it works when I do have a bad issue.

My surgeon said that if I had severe reflux and/or heartburn, he wouldn't recommend the sleeve because it can make those things worse.

I know every doctor is different though, so I don't know if the surgeon you're considering would feel the same way.

I was just sleeved on Monday so I don't have much experience right now. I am taking Prilosec OTC twice a day now, but that is actually standard for every patient of my surgeon for at least 30 days after surgery to decrease acid to help heal. I'm not sure if I will have to use it after the first 30 days or not yet.

I am experiencing this myself. I never had symptoms of GERD, but I was told prior to surgery that my UGI showed minor Acid Reflux. Now, after surgery, I am experiencing symptoms. Today was the worse, so I picked up a pack of Prevacid. I hope it works or else I will be calling my surgeons office.

I had acid reflux prior to surgery (1 month out) and am taking Ranitidine (not sure if I am spelling this correctly) twice a day and so far so good thank goodness. He said that it might make it worse but that a lot of people are ok. Sometimes the weight loss will cure it. He also said that worst case scenario (which I would hate but still..) if I developed such a bad case of reflux that it was causing damage, he could convert my sleeve to a gastric bypass which is in effect the cure for acid reflux.

I am glad that you asked about this topic. I was a former band patient who suffered a slip. In my year and a half that I had the band, I never got off Nexium and had to sleep sitting up at times and burped a lot. After the band, I went back to normal - no reflux at all. I'm hoping that the sleeve is a good option for me... My surgeon thinks it is.

I am a band revision and also had reflux if my band was filled but didn't if it wasn't. I've also had my hiatal hernia repaired twice.

Right after my revision, my doctor had me on medicine to prevent reflux, but after I got home from the hospital I ran out and reflux returned, but only at night when I tried to sleep. I was even sleeping in a recliner to try and prevent it.

My doctor put me on Prilosec 2xday and after it took effect a few days later my reflux went away. I'm not sure if it's completely the Prilosec or a combination of that and my stomach healing and the swelling going down. My doctor said that post-op swelling can cause reflux, and it may go away after the swelling goes down. I'm suppose to continue the Prilosec for another month and then see if my reflux is gone.

I've read that reflux can get worse or better when someone is sleeved. It's an individual thing.

I didn't have reflux before sleeve, but do now. I am almost 6 wks postop. I was taking 20 mg of prilosec 2x/day as a precaution. About 2 wks ago, I felt I had a lump in my throat, it hurt to eat or drink. I woke up in the night coughing with bitter taste and pain. I had to sit up. I was sure something serious was wrong. They told me to double the prilosec to 40 mg 2x/day which I did, and within a couple days, I was feeling better. If it comes back, I'll be looking for a second drug or a switch. I don't wish that on anyone!