Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suggestions For Eating?

I just went to to soft foods and I'm having a hard time eating slowly. I know eating should take me about 30 minutes or so but I dont know how to make a meal last. Any suggestions on how to slow down and eat evenly across 30 min?

Try using baby forks and spoons and putting them down between each bite.

It's funny how they used to tell you to stop and pay attention to your meals so you didn't eat "blindly" more than you needed and could pay attention to when you're full. But then after the surgery, I found that to be incredibly hard to do for the reason you just said: It's a small amount over 30 minutes.

I will prep my shake or food then work on the computer or do housework and take a bite every few minutes. Watching a TV is great at night because I can pace my meal by where we are in the show. Eating out is the hardest because they expect you to woof it down and the wait staff tend to check on you a lot when it looks like you're not eating much. We tend to tip higher because we're sitting at the table longer than we normally would be :wacko:

All the suggestions above are good advice. However, as humans, we tend to forget good advice and do what we've always done....wolf it down. When I hit the mushy stage I tended to eat too fast even with baby spoons, but once I got that awful pain just below my sternum I learned really quick. I suspect you will learn this way also...it's part of the sleeve experience.

I counted as I chewed I was told to chew at least 25 times if is already real soft I counted maybe swallowed sooner but continued to count till times up and put the spoon down often too. Its not easy to count if you r with others but it does help keep you from finishing a meal way before everyone else. But really does it take 30min. to eat 1/3C.!

My NUT actually had me do the take a bite, put utensil down, chew, swallow, wait a minute and then repeat pre-op to become accustomed to it. I found it was easy to do if I was alone, but if I was at the table with my family I wanted to be social and it was difficult. I bought an egg timer (one of those little "sands in an hourglass" things) and found that made it (and still makes it) easier to do the right thing.

I struggle with this too, especially if I am not at home. But when at home I use my iPhone to guide me. I downloaded a Timer program and I saved two timers - one called "Take Time to Eat" and that is for 20 mins); the other is named "Wait to Drink" and that is for 60 mins. Adjust the times based on what your nut or Dr. recommends. So when I start eating I press the first timer; and as soon as I'm done I press the second one. I have not done as well lately getting in the 100 oz of Water my Dr. wants me to have daily so I find this helpful to remind me.

Hope this helps.

I struggle with this too' date=' especially if I am not at home. But when at home I use my iPhone to guide me. I downloaded a Timer program and I saved two timers - one called "Take Time to Eat" and that is for 20 mins); the other is named "Wait to Drink" and that is for 60 mins. Adjust the times based on what your nut or Dr. recommends. So when I start eating I press the first timer; and as soon as I'm done I press the second one. I have not done as well lately getting in the 100 oz of Water my Dr. wants me to have daily so I find this helpful to remind me.

Hope this helps.[/quote']

What is the name of your Timer program?

I'm curious as to the name of your program as well. I hate the time that is built into the Iphone.

The Timer program I use is called Timer+. Search for it in the AppStore - it's free. It allows you to set up any number of timers and name them. I use it for all kinds of things.

All the suggestions above are good advice. However, as humans, we tend to forget good advice and do what we've always done....wolf it down. When I hit the mushy stage I tended to eat too fast even with baby spoons, but once I got that awful pain just below my sternum I learned really quick. I suspect you will learn this way also...it's part of the sleeve experience.

I have finally hit stage 3...I was supposed to do two weeks of stage 2 and my dr said I was healing well and could slowly start bringing in mushy foods. I was getting that feeling you were describing constantly, like with every small nibble of mashed potato. I waited a bit and am actually starting again at the begining of my 3rd week, but I am still having such uncofortable pains! still with really mushy foods. It's driving me nuts.

(sorry I know this was off the topic but I'm just glad I found someone else who was having the same issue!)