Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Drinks Question

My surgeon wants me to drink Glucerna, Boost Glucose Control and Atkins shakes for my Protein. They taste good and are from 10 to 16gr per shake and I am to drink three a day which seems like a lot to me and I have only been able to get two a day down so far. I am still the liquids stage of this since I was only sleeved 9 days ago.

Also I know my BS is going to be all over for a while but this afternoon when I checked it after a Boost shake it was really high and I had to take an insulin dose to cover myself. Now I'm kinda afraid to "eat" anymore tonight,

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Areyou diabetic to begin with?

I was told not to drink those drinks, but i would still ask your dr again

Yes I am Diabetic and the doctor is the one who told me to drink them

i know you need 60 to 80 grams of Protein a day.plus all the other fluids they want you to have.But if your dr is telling you this then i would follow his advice,he knows you rmedical history best

First off: I am not nor have ever been diabetic, so I would always encourage you to listen to your doctor. That being said, bug him like crazy and ask why that happened. Also, search this forum and others like ObesityHelp to see what others did during the liquid phase. Personally, my doctor would not let me use any of those products. He's not a fan of the ready-made drinks because most are made with whey concentrate which is inferior to whey isolate. Eh, but it's better than nothing - right?

Most WL surgeons will encourage you by your second week to be hitting 60-70g of Protein daily. Then in your fourth-fifth week aiming for 70-90g of Protein. Which shakes work best with blood sugar levels, will need some research. I personally used Syntrax nectar, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, and Healthwise products in the liquid phase. I still use them now to supplement between meals.

Also, don't be afraid to get a second opinion. Not all doctors "know it all" and you should be your best advocate for your health.

I am a diabetic and I was not sent home on any Protein Drinks my drs. group did not recommend them at first and did not even push Protein drinks. Since I was a diabetic the nut. said I must get at least 50gms of carbs which I got by drinking 1/2 strength apple juice mixed with Water. When I started the Protein Drink about 2 weeks out I got muscle milk light which has 100cal. and 30 gms. protein and 6 carbs. The last day I had to take insulin and pills for diabetes was the day I left hospital 15weeks ago. Best to talk to Dr. or his nutritionist. Good luck!