Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

It's my first time on this VSL site. My name is Maribel, I'm 38 years old. Initially, my PCP and I had discussed the Lap Band Surgery but upon meeting my surgeon (who was recommended by my PCP) we decided to go for the VSL. I am at 224 lbs, and I'm only 5'1. This is the heaviest I have ever been; it's 40lbs. over what I weighed when I was at fell term pregancy! I have high blood pressure which I take medication for and I also have sleep apnea which I am using the CPAP machine for. I suffer from other ailments which I prefer not to get into for now but I take medications that cause my metabolism to be slower and Water retention. I have tried to lose weight in the past; the best I could do was 10lbs in a month and I did that by exercising (cardio and weights) regularly and eating healthy and smaller portions. Once I hit the plateau I become discouraged and stopped, but it was also because I had to because I had an ovarian cyst that I needed to be surgically removed and was told to rest until the surgery.

The excess weight for my height is about 100 pounds. As I am writing this here, I am just realizing this horrible reality. I am not really nervouse about surgery, I am looking forward to it so I can begin the process of losing weight. My PCP figures that I will have all the paperwork ready for the insurance company by August. So I am thinking the surgery will be August or September. The wait will be difficult. I really want this because this excess weight is also beginning to affect my mobility. I am much slower when walking, I get winded easily, have dizzy spells or feel out of balance (like if I am going to tip over). I am afraid to go up and down the stairs because I feel like I'm going to fall. I almost feel like my knees can't handle all this weight. I get tired so quickly when I am standing or walking for a while and my feet start to hurt a lot. It is very frautrating because it has affected me in so many ways. My energy level is so low. I just feel so tired all the time. I am a single mother of a pre-teen girl and I feel like this affects her too because I am not able to do more with her and keep up with her. I don't know what I'll do in the summer. I feel guilty about it.

My PCP and surgeon and G.I. doctor all told me this surgery will be life changing and they are all very supportive of me doing this.

I feel lucky to have really great doctors. I have an endoscopy on the 30th that my surgeon wants me to have done because I have a history of acid reflux and ulcers. So far that's it. I have to still make an appt. to see the nutritionist and psychologist which is protocol for surgery. I have begin the process and I just hope that this will work for me and that I wil be able to do everything I have to do to help myself in this process.

I just want to look at it as a day by day thing but it is difficult right now to just have to wait.

Thanks for whoever read this. Please feel free to give any advice.

Oh, btw I am starting to watch what I eat more. I am trying to drink more water and cut out the soda and I am also trying to learn to eat slowly.

Oh, Mari! I could have almost written your post this time last year! Welcome to VST. Your doctors are right; this surgery IS life-changing! I went from barely able to walk from my car to my front door to (now) being able to ride 7 miles plus on the exercise bike in 30 minutes. But, I started out doing 5 and 10 minutes at a time. I'd literally walk up and down my hallway in my apartment right after surgery and now I can walk the length of the mall a couple of times without wanting to sit down every 10 feet.

You will be amazed at your increased energy level and at how quickly the weight comes off your body! Starting now to drink more Water and get in the 70 grams of Protein a day will put you ahead of the game for post-op recovery!

Good luck and here's hoping you're sleeved by my anniversary date, which is August 30! :)

I can relate to a lot of what you are talking about. I think the waiting right now is the hardest part. I just want to start the new me already. Actually, you will find coming here and preparing yourself for the surgery and post-op you begin to change before the surgery. I have really been doing a lot of thinking and trying to change my behaviors. It's like a light switch is finally turning on for me. :) Good luck. My date is May 14th, only one month away now! woohooo!

Mari - congratulations on preparing for this journey! It is exciting. I can relate to not be nervous AT ALL before my surgery. I felt as excited as if I were preparing for a cruise. I wish I had found this forum before my surgery. This is so much love, support and fabulous information here. Soak it up and start as soon as you can. My pre-op diet was only 1 change (no sugar or carbs). Try it for a while. It may help you feel better through the summer and it won't be such as shock to your system when you need to give those up for a little while.

WELCOME!!

Hi Lissa,

Thanks for your support. I need all the support I can get! :) I am really looking forward to have increased energy; I cannot go on like this any longer. I really hope the surgery will be in August because my child starts the 8th grade in September and I have to be well enough to make the high school open house rounds with her. I want to be able to take my dog for walks and go to the gym which I enjoy. As for the Water, I was drinking Fruit20 until a couple of days ago when I realized it contains 90mg of sodium. That totally defeats the purpose of the Water pill that is comnied with my blood pressure medication. Here I thought I was doing a good thing. That will change today, I am going out to get some plain H20 and get to drinking. I am clueless when it comes to counting calories and servings sizes by grams and all of that. I seriously need the help of my Nutritionist for that whom I have yet to meet. How do you count grams for Proteins? What exactly is considered Protein aside from meat, fish and chicken?

It seems like you are doing great and I am so glad. It is motivating for me to hear your stories. I suffer from depression and I really need to work hard at keeping a routine and staying motivated no matter what. So this message board is really great and I think that in addition to me really finally being really ready to do this will be helpful.

Thanks again Lissa. All the best!

Hi Raven,

Thanks for your support. Yes, the wait is tough. May 14th? that's great! I agree, it's important to get in the mindset before surgery so that it won't seem like such a drastic change afterwards. I am also trying to think about it as a permanent lifestyle change and nt trying to fall into the "last meal syndrome" lol I read that somewhere on another site. The last thing I want to do is put on more weight before surgery and besides, my insurance requires that I attempt losing weight before surgery. So I try to focus on that and just taking it day by day really watching what I eat.

Thanks again Raven! Good Luck with your surgery. I can't wait to hear how it went! :)

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for your support. Yes, I know this surgery will be a good thing for me. I'm the caregiver type; always thinking of and helping others and not myself. To be doing this for me for once is a strange but good feeling. I feel very luck to have really great doctors 2 of which I know for several years. I've been under the care of my PCP about 20 years. He is excellent and he recommended my surgeon so I know they are colleagues and I trust his recommendation. My Gastrointestinal doctor also know both my PCP and surgeon and I've know her for about 6 years. To have them all now each other makes me feel so much more at ease. All three doctors agree that type of surgery is the best for me and I am so glad and grateful that they are being so supportive. Staying away from sugars will be tough as I LOVE LOVE chocolate but I know I can do this. I am also big on carbs but I figure it's a process and a matter of just getting used to the change in eating habits.

How are you feeling? I just noticed your surgery date was the day before I met my surgeon. Wow, that's recent! Are you still on liquid diet or is it mushy foods now? I'd love to hear how it's going for you. I hope you're feeling good.

Thanks Again and the best of luck on your journey! :)

Staying away from sugars will be tough as I LOVE LOVE chocolate but I know I can do this. I am also big on carbs but I figure it's a process and a matter of just getting used to the change in eating habits.

How are you feeling? I just noticed your surgery date was the day before I met my surgeon. Wow, that's recent! Are you still on liquid diet or is it mushy foods now? I'd love to hear how it's going for you. I hope you're feeling good.

Thanks Again and the best of luck on your journey! :)

Hi Mari,

I know what you mean about LOVING sugar and carbs. I regularly referred (past tense) to myself as a Carb-Aholic! Breads -OHHHHH I love them, any time of the day. I once told my friend, "I love bread with coffee, bread with tea, bread with BREAD - LOL. I know how it feels. But the body needs fuel, and I found that I was fueling my body with carbs, unfortunately I wasn't burning the excess carbs so they turned into fat. Now, what I've learned is that if you rob your body of carbs, you body says well...I need SOMETHING to burn so it has two choices: Fat or Muscle. This is important, if you give your body plenty of Protein (like 100grams) then your body is forced to burn fat. This is putting your body into a state of KETOSIS. It's not healthy to totally cut carbs out of your life forever, but it's a great way to get started. I want so much for you to feel better this summer for your daughter, this may help without being TOO restrictive. When I followed this diet, I did not, at the beginning, limit my meats. So, I was actually eating more, being full and satisfied and I still lost some weight.

Look up Ketosis sometime. I think there are some good threads on this Forum about it too. Of course, ultimately, you'll get your surgery and move right back into a healthy balanced diet made up of all foods (Protein first, carbs last) and you'll find more success than you can imagine.

So far I've lost about 25 pounds. I'm now on to mushy food and my surgeon has me on this stage for a total of 6 weeks. So about Mid-May I will be back into the world of eating normally again. My recovery has been great. I only had 1 rough day and 1 rough night at the hospital, but I was walking 2 miles and riding my bike by day 8 post-op. I'm really loving life and have absolutely NO regrets.

Good luck to you!

Nancy,

Wow, thanks so much for this valuable advice. It really helps A LOT. Like I said, I have to being learning all of these changes because I need to get started. I feel like time flies and August will be here before I know it. I have to do major renovations in my apartment before my daughter starts school next September plus I have to fit in the time to take her to her summer activities and have some fun with her. I really need the energy.

25 pounds is amazing! I will definitely read about Ketosis. Thanks so much for the tips.