Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not doing so well on pre op diet

I posted this in the general forum too and didn't get any responses yet and I thought maybe I posted in the wrong area so I posted it here too.

I am having terrible trouble staying on my preop diet. liquids are just not filling enough. I am doing Protein shakes and am allowed lean meat and veggies. I have been drinking bullion and alot of Water but I have cheated a few times. I have only lost a few lbs and my surgery is this friday.

I am so disappointed in myself!!!

Am I really going to be able to do the band if I can't stay on the pre op diet???

Teresa

One of the wonderful things about the band is the help it provides! When you are not hungry, or are only able to eat 1/4 of what you do now if that much, it makes life much simpler. I did not have a strict pre-op diet, and I managed to only fall off a couple of times, but post op is so much easier!!! Now don't get me wrong, the early stages of all liquid is difficult, and much more important that you follow it, so you can heal. But I found myself filled with new motivation and hope at that point, and survived it!!! Now I am seldom truly hungry, and when I eat it is in small amounts. I still "cheat" but I only need a couple of bites and am happy!! I am much more active with the weight I have lost, so it helps as well. Doing it on your own without the help of the band is damn hard, it was for all of us, or none of us would be here. You are not alone in your worries, just remember after the surgery you will have help with you all the time. And as for emotional help, we are all here, this is a wonderful site!!!

Good Luck on your surgery, I wish for you a smooth and uneventful surgery and recovery!!!

Kat

I am not proud of it, but I didn't even try to do my doctor's pre-op diet, which wasn't even strict (low carb, atkins-type). I did try to eat less during the weeks before surgery, but I went on a cruise the week before my surgery and arrived home on Sunday with surgery scheduled on Wednesday. (I didn't go crazy on the cruise but I certainly ate what I wanted to eat). Tomorrow will be one week since my surgery and I've had what I consider to be a better than average recovery up to this point. I'm still mainly on liquids and plan to ease very gradually into the mushies and eventually into solids over the next 4 weeks or so. I have not been hungry -- that tells me the band is doing its job. I'm doing my part by sticking to the post-op diet and trying to learn how the band is going to help my weight-loss.

BTW, I was about 1 lb less on the day of surgery than when I went to the doctor initially.

i ate a little extra then what my doc wanted me to eat but i think it is really important that the night b4 you have your sergery you drink Clear Liquids , the whole purpose of the pre op diet is to shrink you insides so it will be easier for your doctor to be able to see your organs (stomach) so try not to go over board, and you should be fine, and do the liquid the night b4 sergery. i lost 4 pound pre op

Today was day one of my pre-op diet. My surgery is scheduled for Aug. 16th. My diet consists of one slim fast for Breakfast, one for lunch, another for dinner. Oh....and up to 4 lbs of green veggies a day. Well, today I made it through 2 shakes. I couldn't stomach another one. Couldn't even get the veggies down. I am starving!!! I don't know how I'm going to get through 6 more days of this. I have never been this miserable before. :cry It makes matters worse that I am on my 7th day of no smoking. Between not smoking...and not eating....I just want to hit someone. LOL

I'm sorry you are having problems also....

I was told I could take 2 doses of Metamucil if I am really hungry, so I will go to the store tomorrow and get some to try.

Kirsten

My Doctor did'nt put me on a pre op diet.

Well, consider yourself the lucky one then.

This post was in the "support" section of the board. I think this post was meant to get some support...not the "rub it in" post that YOU didn't have to endure this.

Kirsten,

Sorry I didn't mean to rub it in. We all have our troubles some more than others. It has not been easy but I think in time it will be worth it.

Kirsten,

Sorry if it seemed that I was rubbin it in. I wasn't. just commenting It has'nt been easy But I think in the long run It will be worth it. I thought it strange that I was not put on pre op diet and tried to cut back anyway. I have a lot of weight to lose.

I posted this in the general forum too and didn't get any responses yet and I thought maybe I posted in the wrong area so I posted it here too.

I am having terrible trouble staying on my preop diet. Liquids are just not filling enough. I am doing Protein shakes and am allowed lean meat and veggies. I have been drinking bullion and alot of Water but I have cheated a few times. I have only lost a few lbs and my surgery is this friday.

I am so disappointed in myself!!!

Am I really going to be able to do the band if I can't stay on the pre op diet???

Teresa

Don't be disappointed in yourself, its hard to change from solids to all liquids. I am amazed that you are allowed veggies and lean meat at all! Something you may want to consider.....I know it happens in my case, the bullion....I'd ditch that because its salty and makes you thirsty which eventually makes you hungry. I'd try it without to see if that works for you. Just a thought! Good Luck on Friday!!!:huggie:

Teresa yes you are going to do the band just fine. If we all could stick to a strict diet plan we would not need a band. You said you cheated a few times. You didn't say you just refuse to do the shakes and eat everything in sight. You are trying and you have already lost a few pounds. I did not reach my surgeons desired weight but my understanding is the pre op diet is to help shrink the liver so that it is not "flopping around" in my surgeons words.

Keep doing your shakes and veggies, try a diffrent seasoning on your veggies. Are you preparing them with chicken or beef broth? Have you put them on a George Foreman grill or roasted them....ummmmm. I love the royal chocolate, cappachino and vanilla optima slimfast. Put your slimfast in the freezer a little while before you have it and it is like a shake.

Congratulations and Good Luck Teresa. Stay focused and keep walking.

Kirsten,

Sorry if it seemed that I was rubbin it in. I wasn't. just commenting It has'nt been easy But I think in the long run It will be worth it. I thought it strange that I was not put on pre op diet and tried to cut back anyway. I have a lot of weight to lose.

Sorry I snapped. This pre-op liquid diet is killing me. I have been so bitchy. I think the last line of my original post was that I wanted to hit someone......well, last night I would've gladly hit you! LOL To hear that you didn't have to do the pre-op sent me over the edge.

Ok...off to the kitchen to get my Breakfast....YUMMMMM....Slimfast! :sick

Kirstin, I will start my pre-op diet in two weeks and am really dreading it! I too will be banded my Dr. Ortiz. Is the pre-op diet really bad? I was told that you can eat dinner the night before surgery, is that correct? I'm afraid it will cause more gas problems after surgery, what do you think?

okiegirl

banding Sept 1st

Dr. Ortiz, TJ Mexico

Kristen,

I am on day six of the liquid diet and day six of not smoking. Talk about bitchy:angry The people I work with are ready to kill me!! My husband just tries to stay out of my way and keep the kids out of the range of fire.

This stinks:cry I can't wait till this part of the journey is over.

I've lost eight pounds so far.