Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Returned From Mexicali... And Still Smiling!

I just got in from my trip to Mexicali and I can only say I am amazed at how easy this was. I was sleeved by Dr. Aceves on February 28th. I am 57 years old and figured it would be rough because I hate pain and can be a bit of a baby. I expected the worse. I have had no nausea, no real pain- just discomfort, and have felt pretty good under the circumstances. The worst part was the trip home because I am not a big fan of flying. lol

All of the overly positive comments I had read about Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos, the Hospital Almater- it was all true. It was a great experience. I especially want to thank the other patients that I shared the experience with. I hope to keep in touch with you all! I am really excited about moving forward in this journey. The best is yet to come!

Oh, and another round of thanks to everyone on this message board who have posted their stories and questions. This helped me immensely through the process! Thanks to all and best wishes! :)

That is great to hear. I'm scheduled with Dr. Aceves on May 11. Did you have a revision to sleeve or just sleeve surgery? What do you do during the three days in the hospital?

Dr Aceves did my band to sleeve revision about a year ago. Glad you did so wonderfully. Like you I had very little pain and couldn't believe it was so uneventful. I don't mind flying but was really surprised that it was only 3 days after surgery and I felt no pain on the flight and it was from San Diego to FL with a 3 hour layover in Dallas.

Good Luck on your journey.

Congrats! Flying home from San Diego was smooth except when I had to take a small plane from Dallas to the local small airport. Those little planes are so loud and a little scary lol.

I am very happy for you. I didn't personally use Dr. Aceves as my budget wouldn't allow it, but I've heard amazing things about him. I am so glad you haven't had many problems or pain. It makes this journey much better when you don't have to stress about being in pain.

That is great to hear. I'm scheduled with Dr. Aceves on May 11. Did you have a revision to sleeve or just sleeve surgery? What do you do during the three days in the hospital?

I did not have a revision- just a sleeve. I slept alot in the hospital, visited with the other patients, took my computer and played Facebook games and emailed people. Spent alot of time sipping and walking. The time passed quickly. I was kind of sad to leave. It was like a mini vacation and everyone was so nice. I work two jobs so laying around is a treat for me and as I said, I never really felt bad. You will love Dr. Aceves.

I'm glad to hear that you are doing so well! If its not too nosy, did you have an epidural during your surgery?

I'm scheduled w/ Dr. Aceves on March 19 & am soooo excited to be changing the course of my life. I've had back surgery and have a lot of scar tissue over my spine in the area where they usually give an epidural, so I'm doubtful that they'll be able to give me one. I'm curious about post operative pain levels for those w/ no epidural.

Thanks & I'm sure that you'll continue to do well on your journey!

HI,

Feel free to ask me anything, nothing is confidential. Dr Aceves usually does an epidural but I didn't have one. There were 2 others getting sleeved the same day and both of them did. You will be shocked at how much you talk to all of the Dr's before your surgery and when you talk with the Dr that gives the drugs for you in the operating room he will tell you what he exactly what and how he does everything. If I can remember correctly it is the afternoon before surgery.

I was a nervous wreck and they really did make it as pain free and as comfortable as I could have ever been.

Now that I think about it I was told I was going to have the epidural but never asked why I didn't get one. I do remember the Dr saying that he does it AFTER your asleep so you wouldn't feel it.

Good Luck to you and if you need to talk to me PM me your phone number and I will call you.

I've never had an epidural. Nervous about that. They give it after you're asleep?

Hi DanityChai,

I don't want to hijack SmilingGal's positive thread, so I'll start another one about experiences w/ epidurals. One thing that I want to emphasize is that they work wonderfully for the vast majority of those who have them - My experience is because of my specific back problems. And to answer your question - it is my understanding that yes, they do give you the epidural after you are under (if you get one).

I had the epidural and it made a big difference. The anestheisologist was not sure if he would be able to, due to some curvature in my back, but he was able to. I was given a "happy pill", wheeled back to the surgery room and the next thing I remember was waking up in recovery! Several of the girls that were there at the same time did not get epidurals and they were in a little pain the next day, but nothing drastic. You get pain meds so once the effect of the epidural wore off, I had some discomfort but it was quickly relieved by the meds. I had one with my C section as well, many many moons ago. They make sure you are as comfortable as possible. Take a heating pad- I think that helped me alot!!!

Thanks for the tip about the heating pad - I'll add it to my list. I'm glad to hear that they are such pros about handling pain levels for their patients. You've added to my piece of mind (I'm going alone & a bit apprehensive).

Thanks again - I hope that you continue to do well & have a very uneventual recovery (except for those lbs. peeling away, of course!).

Danity, I was scared about the epidural as well. Here is my perspective, I chose to have 2 kids with no epidural or any pain meds that's how I feel about epidural however I've also never had surgery so I was open to it. I had no idea when they were giving it to me. I think the anesthesiologist was the nicest warmest person ever and he will do whatever you want. There was another gal who was there with us (I was there with Smilingal) and she just pretty much slept the day off right after her surgery. Comparatively I (who had the epi) was up walking around and chatty however the 2nd day I was in pain when the epi wore off. The other gal who slept the first day was doing much better on day 2 so basically, it just felt like we switched days. If you get the epi, your pain comes on Day 2 and if you don't you get it Day 1.

Make sense?