Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I Take Fiber Gummies?

Wondering if I should be taking Fiber chewables? I know we need to work hard at getting our Protein in. Does taking fiber have any benefits? I guess I dont really understand the difference between protein and fiber. anyone know the answer? they obviously do different things, but should I be filling up with fiber??

Fiber helps to keep you from getting constipated by moving things along the digestive tract. Fiber (like in oatmeal) can also help with reducing cholesterol levels, but the kind of fiber found in gummies doesn't do that. If you are exercising, drinking enough Water, and eating high-fiber vegetables like broccoli or snow peas you shouldn't need extra fiber.

We are eating Protein because if we don't eat enough our bodies will break down muscle tissue to get at the amino acids in them. Since cardiac tissue is muscle, you don't want that used. Also, by keeping the muscle we have, metabolism stays higher and burns more calories.

Yes, fiber is very important to your heart and digestive health. Without it, you can get constipated and your body has to work harder at getting rid of waste in the bloodstream. Whereas Protein is an energy source like carbohydrates and sugars, but without the insulin triggers and liver fatigue. That being said, everyone needs fiber in different ways and amounts. I would talk to your doctor or nutritionist first to see what they recommend for you and your diet. Before surgery, I ate flax seed on everything (steel cut oatmeal, yogurt, applesauce) for fiber. Post surgery, my nutritionist recommended adding Benefiber to my Protein Shakes (http://benefiber.com/products/benefiberPowdersPlusHeartHealth.shtml) It's tasteless and gritless. I can add it to my hot tea and never taste it. It's important to get unflavored to save as much as you can on the carbs. Though my doctor said he was not concerned with counting the carbs that come from the Benefiber, though I keep an eye on it. I only have to use it for the first 6-8 weeks until I start working good, low-carb veggies back into my diet that contain fiber.

You will want fiber and Protein. Others have explained it better than I can.

I just want to add that you can read labels and find foods with both. If you like Beans, or can learn to like Beans, and certain grains like quinoa, you can kill two birds with one stone.

I take fiber gummies, doctor recommended. They are beneficial if you are not getting enough fiber in like me. They only vegs I can tolerate is in baby food. Everything also is impossible at the moment. Basically, you have to find what works for you and your sleeve.