Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous About Test Results

Met with surgeon today. Got the results of all of the previous tests. Low in Iron (count was 15, normal between 25 and 150), Vitamin d, and B12. Need to see hematology as a result.

EKG a little abnormal. Surgeon almost ignored it, but then decided to send me to a cardiac consult anyway.

Little bit low oxygen saturation in blood. Need sleep study and pulmnologist. (sp?) High cholesterol (225). I have the endoscopy scheduled for March 6, with a tentative surgery date of 6/20.

Any medical people out there? I have not had results like these and I'm kind of freaking out.... Am I ridiculous?

Crickets. I guess I am alone? I think the lack of response is making me more nervous.

Ugh...

sorry no help just hang in there.(((hugs)))

Yep, no help from me, either. I didn't have to do the same type of workups as I self-paid. Best of luck to you, and I'll have my fingers crossed that it all works out and you can proceed with surgery soon.

~Cheri

Is this pre-op testing? Well I'll admit that my surgeon did not seem to do the kind of extensive testing you're having. Maybe this just means you have a really careful surgeon!! To me that's a good thing. I would bet that any one of us who is significantly overweight would show up similar results if we were thoroughly tested. A lot of us have had things wrong we didn't even know about simply b/c we weren't tested for it . And those things were then cured by the weight loss without us even knowing.

I'm going to be thinking of you and looking for an update!

Is this pre-op testing? Well I'll admit that my surgeon did not seem to do the kind of extensive testing you're having. Maybe this just means you have a really careful surgeon!! To me that's a good thing. I would bet that any one of us who is significantly overweight would show up similar results if we were thoroughly tested. A lot of us have had things wrong we didn't even know about simply b/c we weren't tested for it . And those things were then cured by the weight loss without us even knowing.

I'm going to be thinking of you and looking for an update!

Yes, Holly, this was pre-op testing. It is required. They took 14 vials of blood, chest x ray, total abdominal ultrasound, EKG, and blood gas test. This is standard with my surgeon Also, I had to attend a two hour nutrition class, and see a psychologist. I have the mandatory endoscopy scheduled.

My surgeon said they need to have all information so they can have a safe surgery.

Is everyone's pre-op testing more or less extensive than this?

Mine was about the same as yours...I didn't have an ultrasound...nor as many vials of blood...Hope everything goes well for you! Blessings~Melanie:)

Hi - I was nervous when I got my test results too because things were wrong with me that I had no idea were wrong like sleep apnea. I told myself that it was ok because by getting the surgery I would be correcting these things and be much healthier in the end.

Hi - I was nervous when I got my test results too because things were wrong with me that I had no idea were wrong like sleep apnea. I told myself that it was ok because by getting the surgery I would be correcting these things and be much healthier in the end.

This is what I am telling myself also. How did you find out about the sleep apnea? Was your pulse ox a little low, like mine?

No, my doctor makes everyone take the sleep study. I hate that cpap machine and can't sleep with it on but I will make myself use it after surgery when it's mandatory.

It's mandatory after surgery? I thought the surgery and weight loss stopped the apnea. Also, I thought that after surgery you weren't allowed to use the machine because all of the forced air could cause a leak. No?

mandatory "before" surgery :D After surgery is when you need it because you are on the pain meds and if you stop breathing you might not start again without it.

I had blood drawn on my original consult ( can't remember how many). Then my surgeon's office ordered an EKG, Echo, and a Barium Swallow which I had 2 weeks later. All of the tests came back normal. They found out that I had a VERY small hiatal hernia which was repaired during surgery. I am anemic so my Iron was low as well as Vitamin D. I was already on a Vit D supplement but they had me to increase it leading up to surgery. I had a chest Xray and more blood drawn at my hospital pre-op which was 5 days before surgery. That was it for me for pre-op testing.

I wore my CPap way too soon after surgery. The forced air causd the rupture. CPap's should not be used for atleast 4 weeks after surgery from what I am told.

This was on a thread about leaks?