Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

I have just been officially denied by my insurance company (my employer has an exclusion due to small size) Im now looking at the Mexico self pay option. Im crossed some doctors off of my list and Dr. Garcia is currently at the top. Mexico is a long way and most of my friends and fam dont have a passport anyway. When you get it done here in the US they tell you to have a support team, someone to pick you up, etc. I definitely wouldnt want nay-sayers bad energy and prefer to tell as little people as possible.

Im wondering if anyone has gone it solo???

Lots of people go alone. I did. I was in the hospital 3 nights and came home on the 4th day post-op. After surgery here in the US, most people are sent home within 24 hours, 48 at most. I would have needed help at home, too, if I had gone home 24 hours after surgery. Four days post-op I was fine getting on the plane, getting home, and taking care of myself, I just got tired easily. You can do it solo if you want. No one other than my doctor knows.

Holy Moly @fox. You didnt tell a single soul? You're superwoman! What did you tell your job out of curiosity? My boss is utterly nosey and Im sure she will repeatedly ask what kind of surgery Im having and announce it at our weekly staff meeting LOL

I will be having surgery with Dr. Garcia the 16th of this month. I am going alone, due to babysitting issues. My mom was going to come with me, however our babysitter backed out on us, so now she is flying here to watch my girls while I go alone. I am still looking forward to this, just a lil nervous being all by myself.

I was MX self pay and the only person I told was my wife. She didn't have a passport and getting it required us to get both certified copies of her birth certificate AND our marriage license. She also has, um, "issues" with hipanics, as in she is frightened of them. So I left her at home and went on the journey myself. I did OK but it would of been nice to have someone to carry my bag on the way back. I purposley did not tell anyone else becasue I didn't want to get a lecture or stupid remarks - like I did when I fessed up afterwards.

You'll more than likely meet up with someone down there, I did. We hung around together for a few days and kept each other company.

Holy Moly @fox. You didnt tell a single soul? You're superwoman! What did you tell your job out of curiosity? My boss is utterly nosey and Im sure she will repeatedly ask what kind of surgery Im having and announce it at our weekly staff meeting LOL

I am fortunate that I am self-employed, so I didn't have a boss to tell and my friends and family have seen me lose weight over and over for years. I didn't tell anyone because I was afraid it might not work for me, I had failed at so many other attempts to lose weight! BTW, you do not have to tell your boss anything by law. If you would like to tell her that's up to you but a fair number of us have a hiatal hernia that is repaired along with the VSG so people say they are having hernia repair. The incisions and healing time are pretty much the same as the VSG.