Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

(Vsg) Prove Them Wrong! - Where Does Yours Apply?

Hello VST,

When I first thought about having my surgery, it was about "health". First, in my mind I had to convince myself that I could do this. You know, change the diet -- stick to the plan..etc. I have gone down from 227lbs to 185 thus far. My goal...135-145lbs.

When I began this journey, and read all the stories about "Who did you tell..." I knew, that I would not tell many people. I'm a private person. But, I did tell 1 of my sisters. Her comment, "Well, I know a few people who did that and though they lost weight -- they didn't loose that much." How much are you thinking about loosing?

My response, it's not about the numbers, it's about my health! I had high blood pressure -- bordering on kidney failure, etc. I knew though I was althetic and have been for 20+ years, I still had to make a change. My diet was not right for the years that I was approaching. (Of course not! I was working out and still a size 16. No matter what I did -- the weight would not drop.)

Sooo, bringing us to the future -- I had my surger back in Sept '11. It is now 4 months later and I am down 40+lbs and several more to go. I have went down to a size 12 in bottom and M's in tops. I recently spoke to my sister (who has lost weight the regular way and struggling to hold onto her 12's); she asked me what size was I trying to be? I told her I will maintain between 4-8. Maybe a 6 would be good to me. We'll see since I've never been a size 6 before.

Her response -- you can't get that small! It's not in your family genes. I told her -- this surgery will allow me to do things I have never done before. It's not really about the clothes size, it's about the weight loss! I am RUNNING AWAY from my high blood pressure and issues with a fast vengence! Soooo whatever size I end up -- I will be.

I have all the confidence in the world that it will happen-- so I know that I will get\be smaller. I mean really - Its' only been 4 months for me. I go home in April of this year, and can't wait for her to see my changes! Yesterday, when I walked in my gym I had someone tell me "Don't lose too much weight -- you are starting to get skinny"...lol Talk about great feeling!

(Excuse the long letter..lol), but I must ask -- What has someone said\or did to you, where you've had to prove them wrong?

Well, Sleeve2B, I was told that I either had to lose weight or I'd die, by my doctors. I'm not quite out of the danger zone, according to my surgeon, but I'm very close. I want to live past 46, past 50, past 56 (the age my mother died). I'd like to live long enough for my kids and grandkids to call me a senile old lady...or a spicy one, I don't care! :)

Good for you for doing this for your health and for your self-esteem in general!! :) I can't wait to see your goal pictures!! :)

I basically had to surgery because I was diabetic and I was scare of what diabetsis does to us. It's in remission, however my A1C is still at a 6. No worries it will go down. I love the loss of weight. I am wearing sizes I never thought possible. And, I love it! I hope to go down to a size 6. I'm 5'6" and weight 163, but bouncing a couple of pounds. I am at a stall since Xmas. But I will get out of this stall soon. Yes, friends and families get really threatened by our weight loss and our beautiful bodies getting more healthier. Who would of thought that this is us? LOVE IT! Congrats! Keep rockin that sleeve! ;)

HaHaHaHa! when I read this I picture the person who told me I would never be a size 6. And that's why I am laughing. I am a size 6. I am very comfortable in my skin. I am loving my body, life, and myself on a whole other level.

Hello VST,

When I first thought about having my surgery, it was about "health". First, in my mind I had to convince myself that I could do this. You know, change the diet -- stick to the plan..etc. I have gone down from 227lbs to 185 thus far. My goal...135-145lbs.

When I began this journey, and read all the stories about "Who did you tell..." I knew, that I would not tell many people. I'm a private person. But, I did tell 1 of my sisters. Her comment, "Well, I know a few people who did that and though they lost weight -- they didn't loose that much." How much are you thinking about loosing?

My response, it's not about the numbers, it's about my health! I had high blood pressure -- bordering on kidney failure, etc. I knew though I was althetic and have been for 20+ years, I still had to make a change. My diet was not right for the years that I was approaching. (Of course not! I was working out and still a size 16. No matter what I did -- the weight would not drop.)

Sooo, bringing us to the future -- I had my surger back in Sept '11. It is now 4 months later and I am down 40+lbs and several more to go. I have went down to a size 12 in bottom and M's in tops. I recently spoke to my sister (who has lost weight the regular way and struggling to hold onto her 12's); she asked me what size was I trying to be? I told her I will maintain between 4-8. Maybe a 6 would be good to me. We'll see since I've never been a size 6 before.

Her response -- you can't get that small! It's not in your family genes. I told her -- this surgery will allow me to do things I have never done before. It's not really about the clothes size, it's about the weight loss! I am RUNNING AWAY from my high blood pressure and issues with a fast vengence! Soooo whatever size I end up -- I will be.

I have all the confidence in the world that it will happen-- so I know that I will get\be smaller. I mean really - Its' only been 4 months for me. I go home in April of this year, and can't wait for her to see my changes! Yesterday, when I walked in my gym I had someone tell me "Don't lose too much weight -- you are starting to get skinny"...lol Talk about great feeling!

(Excuse the long letter..lol), but I must ask -- What has someone said\or did to you, where you've had to prove them wrong?

Nobody dared say anything negitive to me really, but I am certain there are those that are waiting for me to fail. I am wearing a size four jeans. Size FOUR!!! Seriously, I hold them up and still think 'NO WAY' and sure 'nuff, they fit. Mom always told me I was big boned. Who knew, she was wrong!!! I am not. I'm not a tiny, petite, little thing, but I am healthy at a size 4 jeans and a medium top, some times a small. It is shocking, still, after a year, when somebody says "You're so tiny" or somebody calls me skinny. This surgery is forced Portion Control, that is what I needed. Of course we can make bad choices, but a little common sense, and this is a miracle in my book! I eat like a naturally thin person I think. I don't do without anything except carbonated drinks, that's it!!!

Enjoy and the nay sayers will be asking you questions and may jump on our bandwagon!!! :)

Oh gosh, I didn't tell a lot of people but it was like everyone bigger in my life was just determined that it was their job to "soften the blow" and remind me (repeatedly) that I might never make it smaller than a 12/14 or that I'd never reach my goal of 135 pounds.

On one hand, I'm sure that nobody could actually picture me any smaller than that, because I spent more than a decade with a 12 being as small as I could get. And yes, I heard the lines about how my family is just made of bigger people and it was unrealistic to expect to be a small person.

Well, I started my journey for health, too. And my goal of 135 might sound small to my overweight friends and family, but if I gain just 2 pounds I'm in the overweight category on the BMI chart! There's nothing unreasonable about a goal like that, now is there?

I'm a size S/6 and I never in a million years thought I'd be this small. I believed what I heard from other people even as I scoffed at them. I really expected to have to find a way to be happy as a size ten or so.

It took me a long time to get to goal but I'm here and I'm never gaining the weight back again. You just keep on working your sleeve until you get to where your body is happy and you're happy with your body.

~Cheri

My sister lives in Arizona, and I live in Michigan. She has been asking for pictures of me to see my weight loss, so I posted one to Facebook.< /p>

In less than a minute, I had a ton of likes and about 17 comments.

In less than 5 minutes, my sister-in-law was instant messaging asking me if I was done losing weight. I said no, and I planned to lose between 30 to 50 more pounds. She told me I'd be skin and bones and that I shouldn't lose any more.

My sister, however, was thrilled to see my loss, and she is excited for me. She is overweight and has never dieted. She is starting to talk to her doctor about weight-loss. She isn't ready for a surgery since she'd never even tried to lose before, but she is hoping to start dieting with some success.

I had a few people who thought it was their job to tell me not to expect too much and especially not to expect to get into a 8 since I have had 4 kids. Even in the local support group I had heard from a few of the RNYers that I shouldn't expect nearly as much loss as with the RNY. HA! I proved them ALL wrong. I had hit my goal of weighing 150 lbs and in a size 8 in 6 1/2 months. Now here I sit at a size 2 and maintaining between 125-128 lbs ha! Childish but I enjoy getting all dressed up to go to the support group to show the few nay-sayers just how much I have lost and how different I look now ;)

There is one person in particular who was my closest friend (or so I thought) who bailed within a month of my surgery. Apparently she couldn't hack knowing she wouldn't be the skinny friend :/ Well I kind of hope she still sees my youtube vids just so she can see how far I have come lol.

I absolutely love this thread!

I haven't had many nay sayers but.... the looks I get from former friends who told me not to do it and the rumors they started are really crazy! They started one telling everyone that I was on drugs. Wasn't that nice of them. There was another one that I was dieing. Real sweet too. But I hold my head up and know that I did the right thing for me and my family. I really don't care what people say and if they are my friends they know what I have done and why I did it.

I actually had one of my long time guy friends almost punch another guy because he was repeating one of those rumors. I love Scott. He's the best.

Wow! Julie, that is amazing.

I too had someone ask me if I were sick; is everything OK...lol. all because of my weight loss. Not congrats, or Noyce look good, etc. Amazing what jealousy can do to a person.

Now I am sure many are waiting for us to gain it back...lolol NEVER!