Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am Really Struggling 10 Days Before My Surgery.

I've gained 18 lbs since my 6th month weigh in in November.... My surgery date is January 27th.... Im trying to get off at least 10 lbs with my own self imposed pre-op diet since my surgeon doesnt require one at all (just liquids 24 hrs before).... im worried that when i go for my pre-op my PCP dr will tell the surgeon to post pone my surgery because ive gained so much weight in just 2 months.. im trying to eat mostly liquids in these last 10 days hoping that'll help me drop weight before my surgery.... im having such a hard time sticking to it though, WHY IS THIS SO HARD? i feel like im not ready.. but at the same time i feel like I NEED THIS SURGERY or i will continue to gain.. which is why im having it in the first place. My BMI is around 42ish... i dont think my liver is enlarged but then again how would i know? I didnt have any health problems or comorbidities going into this...I know im the only one who can control this but is there any way to make it easier??

LovePink,

first of all, you need to calm down and put things in perspective. The fear of the PCP surgeon not letting you have the surgery because you have gained so much weight should be enough to keep you on that liquid diet. i was going crazy before when i started it the diet, but i'm under control now. By yourself the slimfast/no carb protien shakes and drink 4 of those a day. i've already lost about 5 lbs in one week. that plus Water, sugar free Jello and popsicles is what i'm doing.

You can do this!!!! we are all here for you!!!

Just keep thinking that they won't operate on you if you don't lose those 10 lbs.

My pre op diet was 3 meal replacment shakes and 1 regular Protein no carb meal. I did that for about 4 weeks.. then the last 2 weeks was liquid only. If you do liquid only for a long time.. you may feel really crappy during post op when your tummy can't take anything but liquid.

Your having the "last meal" syndrome. I did that for a while.. I planned to eat everything in site till I got sick of it.. thinking I would not be able to eat this stuff again. Its hard to get control. If it were easy we would not be overweight.

keep trying. Remind yourself this liquid only is temporary, you WILL be able to eat the good foods (not the bad foods) you ate in the past. Your life will be normal once you begin losing the weight.

i went out today and bought akins advantage Protein Shakes, sugar free Jello, sugar free pop sicles, 60 calorie Soups, bottled Water, crystal light etc i'll pretty much be living off of these for the next 10 days. i am so worried, i keep doubting myself...what if i cant stay on track? what if i dont lose the weight? what if they cancel my surgery??

Pink, You have to psyche yourself out with positives instead of negatives. You WILL stay on track. You WILL lose weight. They will NOT cancel your surgery. Why will you stay on track? Because you know that this surgery will make your life infinitely better than it is right now.

I had tons of co-morbidities, and they all jumped on my all at once last summer. I've been big, obese, fat, whatever you want to call it, since I was 23. But, I'd been a "healthy" big, if that is even a term. I was healthy big right up until I got pneumonia, and then I looked the grim reaper in the eye three times in three months. There is no better time than RIGHT NOW to take care of your weight issues and make sure you don't have visit with Mr. Death until you're old and gray.

Pych yourself up! THIS IS HARD, BECAUSE THE BENEFITS YOU WILL RECEIVE ARE SO GREAT! You need to have a very clear vision of the you you want to be when you get to your goal. What are you going to look like? What will you wear? What will you be able to do then that you can't do now? Make the "future you" so real to yourself that it is all you can think about. To get to that person is going to take some serious, hard work. If you want that "future you" bad enough, the hard work will seem easier and you will get through it.

Weight loss surgery is not for the feint of heart or the weak-willed. It is not (contrary to what some non-WLS people say) the EASY way to become a smaller, healthier you.

Good Luck.

Sharon

I think surgeons might not be too surprised at the weight gain over the holidays. Have you called them to ask about it? You might call and express your concern about the weight gain and ask if that's going to slow you down to surgery. Why worry about something you don't even know is an issue?

Let me tell you something crazy. I went in for my pre-op appointment on Thursday and my weight was up a pound and a few ounces from my first appt in September (it was 267.4). I had to do liquids only on Sunday and when I arrive to weigh in at the hospital I weighed 254.6. WTH in four days? The only thing I can think is the liquids helped all the solids pass through my system and then the fasting the night before had me a little low on fluids. When I got home from the hospital I was 268 on my scale which is always a bit lighter than the Dr it seems. This morning I was 250 on my scale... =)

I'm just going to say it: I think it's a little cruel for the doctors to expect us to lose 10% of our body weight BEFORE surgery when the majority of us have tried numerous things to lose weight only to feel like we are trapped in a body that is not our own. Fortunately for me, my doctor was similar to yours and didn't require a pre-op diet - just a fast for a day or two before hand to make sure my stomach was empty. He DID want me to lose 10%, but was flexible with me due to my tight time line (I'm a teacher, so I had a narrow window). As long as I posted some loss, he was good. I'm thankful for that because I don't think I would have ever lost that 10% on my own. That's why we need this tool, right? To help us gain control and begin to build healthy lifelong habits. Don't beat yourself up for your recent gain. Also, don't be too quick to go out and do an extreme diet. Just try to eat until you feel full and try and get a variety of color and Protein in your food choices. Once you have the surgery, you will have the time to take a big breather from food and really focus on your healing and your nutritional education. We all do this to get more healthy and we learn every day from our successes and mistakes. I am so thankful for my sleeve and it's helped me learn so much about myself. I'm still not where I want to be in my health, but I've certainly made major strides with my physical, mental and spiritual health because of it. Believe in yourself. Go through with the surgery. And use the time it gives you in healing to learn more about why you eat and what to eat. All the pieces will fall into place!