Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Undecided On Which Surgery, Looking For Advice, And Info.

Hi. I have been researching WLS for some time now. I originally wanted the RNY, but have been considering the sleeve more, due to everything internally is left the same, just the removal of a LARGE part of the stomach, which is something I am still wrapping my head around. Anywho, I have been considering the band, Rny, sleeve, and recently DS, but narrowed it down mainly to the sleeve and bypass. Can anyone provide me with a link that compares the two (bypass, and sleeve) with as much information as possible. Also can someone tell me what are all the negatve side effects. I know that with the rny there is the dumping, more chance of hypoglycemia, etc. I read that dumping is possible, and heart burn is something that happens with the sleeve. I'd especially like information on the heartburn, etc. Thanks.

I had the sleeve last year and my friend had the Gastric Bypass. Both of us are losing. She ended up back in the hospital with complications and wishes she'd done the sleeve too. It's probably not fair to compare though, I'm 15 years younger and had less to lose.

SLEEVE HANDS DOWN. LESS RISKS OF COMPLICATIONS AN IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH YOUR RESULTS YOU CAN ALWAYS GO BACK FOR THE COMPLETE RNY. IF YOU DO THE RNY THERE IS NO CHANGING IT!!

I fought for the sleeve vs the RNY for 3 main reasons:

1. I need to take NSAIDs post-op for osteoarthritis, and with RNY you cannot take NSAIDs ever again.

2. The sleeve just seemed so much simpler and involved less messing around with my insides. I can understand the concern about wanting to make damn sure that this surgery works and you lose the weight. Originally I was considering the DS, because the stats made it sound like way more of a sure bet, until the surgeon's PA talked me out of it, citing all sorts of problems. The outcomes for the sleeve are turning out to be pretty comparable to other forms of WLS, but like any procedure, it's possible to "eat around" the sleeve (or eat around a RNY pouch, too) and not lose enough or (horrors) gain back weight.

3. I knew my own personal food demons involved eating too large a quantity of food at one sitting. I didn't make bad food choices, I just ate too damn much. I longed to be satisfied with small portions. I felt the sleeve was the answer for me.

I had the lapband first and I do not miss it at all. The constant vomiting when things would not go through was not fun as I hate to vomit.

Now for the decicion of the sleeve vs RNY. First I never even considered the RNY. I knew several people that had the surgery and the weight loss is so much faster that you have a greater chance of having excess skin everywhere as you body does not have time to compensate for this as you are losing at a rapid rate. Also I was not really happy after readying about the dumping syndrome. I do not eat a lot of sugars anyway. I did know a couple of people that had this surgery and they had increased the amount of food that they were eating that they actually started to gain weight again. Also I did not like all the restrictions regarding medications that you are unable to take but also to the number of supplements, Vitamins etc that you have to take for the rest of your life as this can become costly.

I chose the sleeve as it will allow you eventually to eat most of your favorite food even though the amount that you will be eating will be much less.The weight loss is a little slower allow your skin to react in a more positive way. Not saying that you will not have any sagging skin but not as much as with the bypass. Also I only have to take a Multivitamin, Vit B 12 and my calcuim as far as supplements. This is nice as I do not like to take any more pills than I have to. If you have the sleeve you will be more than happy with the results and the recovery time. It is less time in the hospital. I am 4 weeks post op and have lost 30 pounds. I follow my diet from the doctor and do not cheat and stop when I am full. I want all those staples that created my new stomach to heal well as I do not want any problems that land me back in the hospital. In fact this morning I am still having a chocolate Protein shake for Breakfast.

I hope that you get some other good responses to your post but I for one would go with the sleeve. just my opinion but it was the best choice for me.....one that I will never regret as it has given me a new life.

I choose the Sleeve for me for various reasons and some that others have already posted .

# 1- I am older, have more aches and pains and an artificial shoulder with neck issues (due to an accident) I have painful flare-ups, I do not have constant pain, but when I'm miserable, I want Advil which helps immensely. No ibuprofen at all with RYN.

#2 I did not like the malabsorption piece of RYN, as I have seen many folks in the medical practices I have worked in with the difficulties of not getting the Vitamins and nutrients they need. One poor woman could not recover from a constant out break of herpes on her face. It was almost to the point she needed a mask. It was horrific. Her malnutrition state made her look like a walking skeleton. Nearly bald, lesions all over her face and sickly thin. I have also seen one patient who ate and "drank" past the RYN, who had about 250 lbs to lose, lost 100 and then gained back about 200. Still unsure how that can happen, but alcohol is highly caloric and that was her new addiction.

# 3 In RYN, the portion of the stomach that is left dangling, is incapable of having any testing . Therefore if it gets ulcerous which can lead to cancer, or is diseased in any way, there is no way to test or treat it?

# 4 I am also so fond of my hair and teeth. I was just in fear of the lack of Vitamins and didn't want to live on a ton of replacements. I'm not saying that deficiencies won't happen with the Sleeve, but it's less likely they will be life altering.

# 5 I did not want my plumbing rerouted which is a high risk for leaks, and or risk stretching my pouch like so many have both in the Lap band and RYN.

Unfortunately I lost a dear friend on Jan 3rd to a leak , 3 months post op from RYN. SIgh.

Overall, I had but one choice, I went to the meeting, listened to the information about all three surgeries and had the sleeve not been a choice for me because of insurance or for whatever reason. I would have died fat.

Hope this helps in some way..

ULTIMATELY, IT"S YOUR DECISION AND YOU HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT !!

Good luck with your decision.

Personally, I have a friend that is 10 years post op bypass who really struggles with getting in nutrients. She has to have an IV done weekly and she has problems with her teeth form lack of Calcium. The sleeve has really worked so well for me. Good luck with your decision! I wish you the best.