Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Second Thoughts Now

I am really feeling fustrated and discouraged! Everything is taking so long! I've been at this a long time going to my first seminar in February. It seems like my whole life this year has been about getting this surgery.

I have gone through so much already and now the doctor wants 2 more tests. Upper GI and thyroid panel. I've had so many tests that cost thousands of dollars it's crazy to the point I think they are trying to discourage me from having the surgery. sleep study, endoscope, colonoscopy, various heart tests including a nuclear study, ekg, xrays, labs and more labs, dietian, psychological evaluation "Let's see how much more we can put her through until she gives up." I'm 57 years old so maybe they are extra careful???

Now, I'm starting to doubt if I need the surgery since I am loosing weight on my own. I am penciled in for December 7th for VSG pending the outcome of these lastest tests and insurance approval. I'm not worried about insurance approval since I meet their criteria.

More time off work and more $. This hospital wanted my 20% upfront to do the Upper GI test. They took the money out of my account before I even had the proceedure! Wow, so if you didn't have the $170 up front I guess you wouldn't get the test. I bet the hospital will do the same thing when/if I have the surgery. I've almost reached my maximum out of pocket for the year because of all these tests so I don't have much more to pay out. If it gest pushed into next year I'm not going to have it done.

They don't make you go through all this in Mexico!!

Wow that is crazy, but from what i hear it's normal. . . i was self pay and did all these tests in one day. . .my process was like this. . . seminar in October, doctor visit, psych eval and dietician visit in November in 1 day. . test like yours in 1 day in early December minus the sleep study. . and surgery in late dec. . . very fast, very easy. . and yup had to have all $15,500.00 up front in cash, no ifs, buts, or whatevers. . . .now i've lost all the weight and still have a loan to pay. . hehehe that is funny, the weight beat out the loan. . .

I hear ya - I have been at the process since last spring. I am hoping for just after Jan 1 for me - would kick the year off right! hang in there - you are not alone :)

WOW, you are really at the over kill on the pre-op spectrum, so sorry. I am one week out and so glad mine was so easy. Saw surgeon, got labs, ekg/cardiologist, dietician and that was it. I am 65, a nurse and my husband is a surgeon, but that had nothing to do with it. From what my surgeon said, what I had done is what is required for a certified bariatric procedure. Unless you had some medical issue going in, this is bordering on ridiculous. You have gone thru all this, so I guess see it thru, but you can also ask if the rest is absolutely necessary. Surgeons differ in what they want, I had the basice, yours must what to go a little bit higher and that is not bad, but still ask.Oh yeah, I had psych eval also.

from what I read and experienced, every test you have to have was a requirement form my insurance. I only had a 3 month waiting period with mandatory evaluations (psychologist, nutritionist, blood work, sleep study, Upper GI, 3 monthly surgeon visits, 2 year weight history, primary care Dr. clearance------now that I'm approved, I have to endure the pre-op testing (blood work, ekg and chest xray).

Don't get discouraged. Find out exactly what your insurance requires. I'm sure all is normal and brings you closer to an approval code. Blessings2u--BJ

I had quite a few of the tests you're being asked to go through, except the Upper GI. I also ended up having THREE surgeries just to get the VSG done. I had a stent installed before and removed after. I'd do it all again. It IS worth it.

By doctor, do you mean your surgeon or PCP? Did the doc say why he/wants these tests? Most doctors don't order tests for no reason.

I do understand your frustration, but you have a surgery date and it will be here before you know it. Keep you eye on the prize!

I think I would rather have an overly cautious surgeon than not. I'm sure it's frustrating. But if they push it back to January, you'll bail? All that money you paid out for tests will be wasted and not surgery.......I certainly would re-think that idea. JMO

There is no doubt a cautious doctor is usually a good doctor but I would have questioned the colonoscopy & the nuclear heart tests if you have no heart issues. Most of us do not have those tests done. I requested a sleep study because I had the symptoms and sure enough I have a severe case and it helped me qualify. Some don't have this done either.

Unless you receive really good explanations, I'd be questioning this surgeons expertise & his communication skills. You are in the dark and that is crazy. You know you can switch and not have to start over right?

BettyBoop, I'd have to pay all that money $3,000+ again if it gets pushed into next year. I have a $3,000 max per year out of pocket for 2011 which I have met this year because of all these tests. Next year my max out of pocket goes up to $4,000 so I would end up paying a total out of pocket of $7,000 for this surgery. I could have gone to Mexico and self paid without all these tests.

It's him, not the insurance company. The other doctor said I had taken all the tests he required. Then he left the private practice to go work at Kaiser. I got turned over to this doctor, his partner who has been in private practice for many years. He's the one who wanted more tests. I know this doctor has many years experience and has a good reputation. I can't image what else he could possibly want.

It has to be this year or not at all for me. I'm helping my 29 year old daughter get this surgery in Mexico next Jan-Feb. She doesn't have insurance. What little money I have left that I saved up I'm giving her to help her pay for her surgery. I'm hoping she won't have to live her life like I did by getting her this tool.

I wish you nothing but blessings on your journey. It seems to have been a long road with more to come. Whatever you decide or whatever happens, keep your head up and stay positive. But, if your asking ... I would say it's a bit much to be going thru... and I would be on the next thing smoking to Mexico. Of course, that's just me.