Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

carnation instant breakfast

I read where someone drank these for their Protein. There are two kinds, one that is no sugar which doesn't have much protein. Or, the regular which has more protein and more sugar!

Anybody drink these?

Yeah I've tried those. They are actually pretty good! I can't recall the sugar amount but I feel they were not as sweet as Slim Fast shakes.< /p>

I did drink the regular ones but hate that there is more carb than protein...blink.gif

I drink the no sugar added which has 5 grams of Protein but an additional 8 when using 2% milk to prepare it. In addition, I add a 1/2 scoop of unflavored Protein Powder (Isopure) at 14.5 grams making my one serving worth 27.5 grams protein total.

I drink the no sugar added version with skim milk and an added scoop of flavored Protein. This gives me 13 grams of Protein from the carnation instant Breakfast and another 20 from the added protein. The carbs are a bit high on these, but they make a great Breakfast on the go, which is what I need most mornings. :)

I sometimes also use these with added protein and some frozen fruit and Greek yogurt to make a smoothie in the morning when I want a different flavor.

I can only find chocolate flavor in my local stores, but I found a vanilla flavor when I went to a specialty store that sells things in bulk. If I am drinking chocolate, I add chocolate-flavored protein powder.< /p>

Thanks for the replies! My surgery is next Friday and wondering about trying these after surgery. Haven't heard many people say they love their Protein Drink so thought this might be a better option.

I have used them on and off for a long time. The SF and regular varieties both have 5g Protein in them (at least the two that I have on the shelf at the moment do,) so they really aren't a substitute for the protein powders, but I do mix them together to make a more palatable shake than just the protein powder itself (to me, at least). I don't need a real big protein boost. so substituting half a scoop of protein powder for half an envelope of IB is a reasonable compromise for me to get a little better nutritional profile that the blend provides. Half and half with a cup of skim milk still provides around 24g protein for when I need it. I've adopted the SF version since surgery - I'm not a carbophobe but the simple sugars should still be minimized and the 70 calorie difference can be put to better use - and for some reason, the SF version has more Fiber than the regular (5g vs. 1g) which should be useful to most of us as it's hard to get enough fiber in with our limited intake.

I read where someone drank these for their Protein. There are two kinds, one that is no sugar which doesn't have much Protein. Or, the regular which has more protein and more sugar!

Anybody drink these?

We were told in our Option's class, NOT to drink them. There isn't enough protein in them. And to much sugar....

In answer to your comment, I must admit that I am really enjoying the Amway chocolate Protein drink. My surgery is next Wed. 10/19 and I've been really good on the pre-op diet (down 12lb. so far). I've ordered some other flavors from Iso-flex (found online a source with no-shipping) to give myself some variation; found an orange cream that I'm looking forward to trying. I ordered some of the Unjury chicken Soup and it's delicious also. The lack of chewing has been a real challenge for me so I've made the Jello wigglers, you know...half the Water, harden in a shallow pan, cut into squares. It's given me something to chew on pre-op that the liquid drinks miss. Oh! And I froze the chocolate drink then cut it up--tastes like a Popsicle and gave me something to chew on also. Hope these comments help! Mary

YES, YES, YES...

I count on the carnation instant breakfast almost every morning...BUT...it must be sugar free.

Like LindaS I mix mine with 16 oz of skim milk and add a scoop of chocalate flavored Protein mix, end up with about 30g of Protein for breakfast.

I usally have a EAS (carb control) mid morning for an additional 17-25g of protein.

I have not tried the unflavored protein yet but have some unjury on order, heard it was pretty good to mix in Soups and stuff...

surgery date: Oct 12, 2011

weight.png

I can't tolerate any artificial sweeteners, Not even Stevia. so my only option has been to go with the Carnation Regular. My doctor has me use double strength milk (1 cup milk with 1/3 cup dry milk powder added), You can buy the variety packs and/or all the different flavors at soap. com and drugstore.com

I drink the sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast once in a while but it seemed high in carbs and low in Protein (in comparison to protein drinks). I never thought of adding more protein and that's a GREAT idea! I'm going to do that tonight! :)

As soon as I drink them, I have an IBS type of reaction. They taste yummy but even pre-sleeve, I couldn't drink them. I never thought of used powdered milk with my shakes. Does it have any aftertaste?

The carnation instant breakfasts are good, but there are alot of different ones, and they are not the only nutritional supplements offered by Nestle.

The Carnation Essentials Breakfast Originals is the drink lower on protien (5g) higher on carb (27g). It isn't unhealthy in general and for many ould be a good kickstart for the day...just not for VGSers...

Carnation Essentuals Breakfast Originals No Sugar Added Ready-to-drink-bottle in Rich chocolate (no other flavors in the ready to mix bottle) have (13g) protien and (16g) carbs. You could add a scoop of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury flavorless to this and add 20g protien and 80 calories. Which would bring the calories to 250, and 33g protien.

I am not a Nut, nor do I play one on TV, but:

The carnation breakfast is different than the almost pure protien drinks supplements - they do have some carbs and a little fat - but compare the labels, they also give you alot of your nutritional needs - the protien drinks do not. I am not an expert on VGS (yet, lol) but I know we cannot have the carbs this includes at first, but later on we are going to need healthy amounts of fat.

Your body does not use any one single nutritional component in a vaccum - they all rely on each other. There are things we need beyond nutrition too - we need daylight for several of our Vitamins to work correctly, and some Vitamins will not be able to work correctly without others vitamina and trace minerals, etc...sleep is so important!

About the protien - I am not seeing this mentioned in alot of places - it is very important we get protien, but if you arent exercising once you can - not (just) cardio, but also muscle retention and or building exercises - that protien is not going to provide the benefits you need it to. You will lose muscle if you do not exercize - and you will lose more hair than you would have otherwise (the last one is just a hypothesis for now but there is clinical evidence to back it up).

I have faught with nutritional issues with my Mom my whole life - she suffered severe head trauma when I was 9 that left her with almost 80% memory loss and among other things it affected her metabolism and soon thereafter she began to have nutritional issues also. To make a long story short I have spent 30 years or so trying to understand my Mom's malnutrition issues. That is also one of the reasons I avoided the full bypass.

My Dr. recommended these after surgery. The sugar free ones are good and they do have other Vitamins and minerals in them. I have never counted carbs only Protein and calories so I don't even know how many carbs are in them. they are good tasting though.