Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My husband and I decided a long time ago that for our health and happiness, we would both undergo weight loss surgery. My husband was going to go through our insurance, and I would be self-pay because my BMI was too low for insurance to cover the cost. My husband embarked on a 6 month monitored and documented eating plan with our PCP to satisfy our insurance and I researched doctors and the type of surgery that I would want. In June, I had VSG surgery with Dr. Ortiz of OCC in Mexico. A couple of weeks later, my husband completed his 6 month supervised diet and was ready to get going with our insurance company. This is where the trouble started.

I've been on a leave of absence from work for 7 months due to depression and anxiety. This resulted in us being dropped from my insurance (Healthnet) on July 15th. We weren't too worried. We switched to his insurance through his place of work (BCBS). We contacted BCBS and found that he met all of the requirements and that the surgery could be covered. Except for one thing. My husband's place of work requires that he be an employee of the company for 5 years and carry the insurance with them for 5 years in order to have the surgery. We were upset, but we still figured we could make it happen. I was scheduled to go back to work on the 30th of this month, so I would attempt to re-enroll with Healthnet so that we could have our original insurance pay for the surgery. If I couldn't re-enroll, we would self-pay the same as we had done for me. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Today, 3 days before I was due to return to work, I received a letter informing me that during my leave of absence my position had been eliminated and I would not be able to return to my job. This changes everything. Not only can we not attempt to use Healthnet, but we can't afford to self-pay if I'm not going to be working. My husband is so upset and I'm completely heart-broken. I don't know what to do for him. I feel so guilty about being the one who managed to have surgery. I feel badly for losing weight, I feel terrible for complaining about my limitations due to the surgery, I feel awful about everything really. We'll work things out as far as managing our basic finances, so I'm not concerned about that. In fact, I'm relieved to not have to go back to that job. It's the reason that I had to go on leave in the first place and it caused me physical illness and pain on top of my mental anguish. I just wish that I could do something for my husband. He is the absolute best person that I know and he's done everything he needed to do in order to have this surgery. I'm sick about the fact that things aren't working out for him.

Things can only get better from here, right?

OMG. I'm so sorry. This is what scares me about our healthcare system. We are held captive by our jobs and the whims of management an HR. Hang in there. My thoughts are with you.

Thanks Terry. We're just pretty sad right now, but I know we'll figure it out.

Honey I understand how you feel. I understand how your husband feels as well. His job requiring him to be employeed with them for five years is crazy. When you find another job then maybe you could look into getting it again. Do you have retirement you could borrow from, or even a credit union they have awesome interest rates. In the mean time just keep reaffirming your husband that this is just bump in the road, and not the end of the course. I'm sorry for all that your family is going through but I know that things will come together again. I'm glad that you've remained positive during all of this because that's sometimes the biggest challenge. It seems like your relationship is solid, so this is nothing you two can't get through together and become even stronger in the end. This will be a testimony that you can help someone else in the future who may be going through the same thing. Keep on shining girly!!

My heart goes out to and your husband, I pray that you know that through tribulation and sorrow a testimony is being birthed from you both. I pray that you know that a setback is only a reason for God to show himself strong in your life and your husband's as well. I stand in agreement with you that you will embark on an entirely new fufilling career and may your husband have favor with the insurance company. I will remember you in my prayers....

I am so sorry! I don't know much about the legal aspect, but where you on a medical leave of some short? I thought when you went on leave of absence, your job would be secured....anyone else hear this?

Im very sorry this is happening to you. Things will work out for the best. Just hang in there :)

You can still elect COBRA - do it, get his surgery and then cancel and only use his!

If she was dropped from insurance during the LOA period, she would have had to elected COBRA then. She's now outside of the eligibilty period to elect COBRA.

Good luck, I hope you're able to find a position that better suits you AND that has insurance that will cover your hubby's surgery.

Are you not considering the fact that you could get a job somewhere else where the health insurance would cover it?

As someone who has also had to take a MLOA due to anxiety and panic issues (from working in an effing backstabbing shark tank FFS), I have to say: You need to let go of the guilt and stress about your husband's surgery. He will get it eventually, you know he will. Just breathe and let go of the guilt.

I can't believe your company made you redundant while you were out ill (actually, I can believe it unfortunately), but you need to still focus on recovering from that. Seriously. That is going to get worse if you don't get your feet back under you.

The sooner you feel better, the sooner you will go find yourself a better job and KICK ASS at it. YOU WILL. Keep your head high. {{{Hugs}}}