Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Placed Band In The Wrong Place

I told you a few weeks ago that I had a severe episode of chest pains and went to the hospital. I truly thought that I was having a heart attack. After an agonizing night in the ER, X-rays showed that my band was to low. I said I would share the doctor's name if I found out that it was put in the wrong place and had not slipped. Well, I had my original surgery with Dr. Wood at the Cori Center in Warren, MI. According to the original X-ray he placed the band in the wrong place and now I have to have it repaired. I am going to Dr. Behsania in Port Huron on Monday and am scheduled for a surgery again on Friday, July 7th with him in Port Huron. I pray that he can replace the band but there is no guarentee. He said that it is a high risk surgery. I have had to wait for a few weeks because he was going to be gone and he didn't want to leave after he did my surgery.

I had to wait four days before I could get in to see Dr. Wood but I wanted to give him a chance to help me. I called the office the day I was released from the hospital and tried to get some direction on what I could eat until my appointment and I couldn't get anyone to even talk to me. The office manager wouldn't come to the phone and said I should do what they told me in my discharge instructions which was to contact my doctor for direction as to diet. I called back twice and finally the dietician talked to me. I don't think she knew what was going on.

When I got there I had to wait in the lobby for over an hour and another hour in the treatment room. I asked to speak to his P.A. but she wouldn't come in to talk to me. Dr Behsania wanted me to give Dr. Wood a chance to help me but all he said was that it didn't look to bad and I should stay on liquids for 2 or 3 weeks and get back with him. I didn't argue but I knew I wouldn't be back.

Dr. Behsania is a lifesaver. I was so afraid that I would not be able to get him to help me.

Let me say that I live 25 minutes from Port Huron and almost 2 hours from Cori in Warren. My stupid Blue Cross told me that P.H. was not an approved bariatric center and they wouldn't approve the surgery there. I have since found out that is just not true. I knew that the Port Huron doctors had done over 1000 lapbands. I asked at Cori and was told that Dr. Wood had done over 3000. Well, he has done over 3000 bariatric surgeries but not Lapbands. I feel terrible because I really liked him but I am really mad that they lied to me about the number of surgeries he has done.

Needless to say, I really don't look forward to doing this all over again. But there isn't a question in my mind that I still want it. I only hope that Dr. B can replace it and do it laproscopically and not an open procedure. I hope this makes sense. It has been a truly frusterating experience.

Wow... are you going to go after any kind of compensation from Dr. Wood, or is insurance at least paying for all of this?

I hope that you feel better soon and that your surgery next week goes well!

WOw! I am so sorry to hear about the problems your surgeon has caused. I am also sorry (and somewhat pissed) to hear about how you were treated after your discharge. Where are the ethics???? My prayers are with you as you get your new band or your old one repositioned. I don't understand why the surgery would be high risk now? Did they explain? It isn't considered high risk initially? Keep us posted, ok?

That sounds terrible! If I were you, I'd get a lawyer while your waiting for the second surgery, get everything documented, and sue the guy for malpractice. I don't care how nice the guy is. What if he does another lap band surgery on some one else and injures them as well?! And not only that, after the mistake was discovered his office treated you like YOU had done something wrong....and thats just not the case...I would strongly advice getting a lawyer or patient advocate involved on your behalf.

hi

I feel so frustrated when I read this.Your band is to low and mine is just to high,no pouch....my esophagus houses everything I eat when I have restriction.But neither dr's want to take responsibility....

The issue I have with this is that they get away with it and someone else might end up with the same amount of trouble and pain I have had over the past year...(and still have mind you.)..and I cannot do anything about that......

I hope you can do something that I didnt manage......

Im angry at Dr Wood.

I cant believe he didnt try to fix his wrong. Like you, I would be advertsing about this. Shame shame shame on him.

I would imagine that taking legal action would be a little difficult, but its an avenue that is certainly open.

At the very least, I would contact INAMED and file a complaint against this surgeon (if you need that info, just ask).

Maybe someone could explain it, but WHY is the repair surgery going to be "high-risk"?

Good luck and God bless you.

Unless it is because he may have to do an open procedure. There is always the threat that the stomach could be punctured I guess. I should know more on Monday.

I don't think that there is enough there for med malpractice. So far there is no permanent injury. I guess it's no big deal that I haven't been able to eat since 3/30 and I throw up daily. Not to mention the chest pain.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all of your comments.

Mary

there does not have to be enough for malpractice, however, you do have punitive damages...... loss work, another surgery cost and mental cost. However, you will only have a case if you have the surgery and it is fixed and your problems go away..... then GO GET HIM.

Where is he located? I talked to an attorney that we have used in the past and he let me give him all of the details then advised me that he is friends with the Doctor. I was pretty ticked that he let me go on. I haven't had any luck in talking to anyone else.

Thanks.

I hope you're recovering well and pray that the next surgery goes well.

Wow, I'm really sorry this happened to you. It is upsetting that your doctor wouldn't take responsibility for his own wrong doings, shame shame on him.

I'm really glad you found another doctor to help, let us know how you make out and again, I feel bad you had this happen.

:)

where are you located? I can find you some one where you are?

My friend is in Atlanta. However I work for 150,000 attorneys nationwide.