Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kinda thought things would be better by now

Well it's been 9 months since surgery and down about 120lbs since then and still no luck in the relationship department. Never been on a date much less had a boyfriend, thought things would get easier. Not. Really thought that before I hit 25 I'd be married, that's not the case. Anybody got any suggestions, I'll take all the help I can get.

Where are you looking? I always had luck at work, or getting set up by friends, or at parties, or on vacation (I do adventure stuff like white-water rafting and scuba diving).

Well I've been looking at other staff at work but that's hard because I work in a men's prison and at the same time you don't want to draw attention to yourself. I live close to the bar district but I am self conscience about going alone. My two closest friends are both married and are not into the bar scene, neither am I. I have been doing ok Cupid for about a year and a half, not getting anywhere with that.

Well I've been looking at other staff at work but that's hard because I work in a men's prison and at the same time you don't want to draw attention to yourself. I live close to the bar district but I am self conscience about going alone. My two closest friends are both married and are not into the bar scene, neither am I. I have been doing ok Cupid for about a year and a half, not getting anywhere with that.

You work surrounded by correctional officers? Start there--find something you have in common, a sport, a band, a book--and invite them to a game or a concert or dinner. Even if it doesn't work out romantically, you might make a friend. I think you need to be a little outgoing, just not around the inmates.

I have had the best luck with Plentyoffish.com. Make sure you post a good head shot and then some other pictures with scenery or whatever.

Try to make an upbeat profile and there is a place you can go for a profile review there.

Well ladies, just want to say thanks. Looks like I got a date next Friday night. Met him on plentyoffish.com, still getting messages from others too. Never thought I meet sOmeone that way but whatever works. Thanks again ladies.

So glad to hear it! Let us know how it goes--

It was bad.. He was really nice but some of the stuff he was taking about made think that he was going to end up in prison, probably as a sex offender. He proceeded to tell me how one of his friends was in a fraternity and they kidnapped this guy and how he himself was walking around in swim shorts and had a rubber duck. It got worse from there not really something that would be appropriate for anyone to read. The entire evening he kept staring at me, it was just a really off evening. Hopefully the next guy I meet won't be so creepy. Just out of curiosity are all guys that use online dating sites weirdoes?

I've always thought if I was single I would check out meetup.com. You can participate in activities with others that like the same things.

http://www.meetup.com/

Being single is hard especially when you have made exciting life changes in your appearance. One of my friends suggested a dating site to me, once I am satisfied with my weight lost....such a singlepeoplemeet, and match.com. She was very successful with these sites, however she advised me to screen them out on the cell phone before I go out with them. Of course if he is a nut, you can block his number ..smile. So don't give up!!!

Sheri

I'd go out to clubs or participate in volunteering in your community. If there is a school near by take a class that you are interested in. Smile a lot and go out as much as possible!

I think I may have met a decent guy. It was an interesting date to say the least, we had coffee out in the dunking donuts parking lot at 11 at night, after he got off work. He was actually good looking and did not creep me out at all. We'll see what happens.

I agree with trying meetup.com . Its a good way to just get yourself out there to meet people in general and start to feel comfortable with yourself. Check out the meetups I your area , I'm sure there's something that suits your interests. And if not you can even start your own group for say... Bariatric patients :) I started a group for people who were new to the city and now there are 70 members! But good luck to whichever path u decide to take!

I've checked the meetups in my area, a couple of nearby cities.......there really isn't anything in this area