Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Interesting article on BMI

Thanks for sharing mini-me, even though we know this by now it's reassuring to read it! My surgeon said not to worry about my BMI, when I said mine wasn't normal yet he said not to worry, his isn't "normal" either, and I can tell you that he is not fat at ALL, quite good looking and fit actually :rolleyes:

I was having lunch with a group of coworkers recently, and the topic turned to weight loss, so naturally my sleeve experiences interested them (I don't hide the fact that I had WLS). One of the guys I work with is VERY fit, trim and relatively muscular (not bodybuilder level, but just in shape); I've seen him in the locker room at the gym in our building. He told me that according to his doc's BMI charts, he's overweight and needs to lose weight.

Moral of the story; if people like that are "fat" then... well... the whole scale is suspect, to me. I think I'll focus on being healthy and feeling good.

BMI is easily skewed by muscle and bones mass, really it's a joke...

I do know one thing though I am a lot happier that mine is in the 30's and not the 70's any more

According to the BMI charts most American football players and pro wrestlers are obese if not morbidly obese. Yeah, just call one of them a "fat ass" and wake up in the hospital. That's probably the extreme but I've always taken BMI recommendations with a grain of salt. Problem is you can be denied insurance or have higher rates because of them.

When I drop below 200 I look thin, really painfully thin. I look good at 220. So when I reach that I am going to consider it a compete success. If I drop lower and don't look like skeletor that's great, otherwise I will be happy. Pre-surgery I was asked to pick a goal weight between the limits on the BMI chart for a six footer male, 160 to 190 - so I choose 180 as an arbitrary goal. 190 was probably more realistic.

Here is a BAI calculator... it throws me from an overweight status (bmi) into a healthy status (BAI)biggrin.gif

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches