Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am new to this site and impressed. I tend to face all my fears alone including the possibility of this surgery, but this site seems to be a good support and resource center.I attended my first information session last night and met the surgeon who would possibly be doing my procedure. I was impressed with the statistics of the hospital in this area. I admit I didnt know much difference between the three major procedures but was leaning toward the sleeve. After last night I am sure the sleeve would be best for me. I have PCOS and the surgeon advised the sleeve has had the most success with women with PCOS and that i should consider getting on birth control right after surgery because he has had several patients get pregnate within 6 months of post op.That was music to my ears!! Not the getting pregnate part, but the success of dealing with PCOS. I feel like if i didnt have that, I might be able to do this alone. However, it is frustrating to eat healthy and exercise and never lose any weight! My question for the people here who have been through or are going through this, how do you deal with people when they tell you your taking the lazy way out? It angers me because I work so much harder than my peers and get poor results. I am anything but LAZY! Also what is the quickest anybody has done this? My insurance covers this and just requires whatever program up to the surgery. I would like to do it in July. Am i setting myself up for disappointment hoping for that month? Thanks you in advance for sharing your wisdom/experience.

Welcome to the site.

"My question for the people here who have been through or are going through this, how do you deal with people when they tell you your taking the lazy way out? It angers me because I work so much harder than my peers and get poor results. I am anything but LAZY! "

As many people have said and will concur, this is anything but easy. It is a tool. You can still make poor or good choices.

Someone on here once said a good response is "so people who have heart disease and have heart surgery are lazy?" "People who have diabetes and take insulin are lazy"

Yes, I personally made poor choices to get me to the weight I was, but it did horrible things to my body that made it almost impossible to lose and keep off weight. It is not a matter of willpower. It is a combination of genetics, upbringing, and damage I have done to my body with too much dieting. My gastrointestinal system isn't working like its supposed to just like someone who has heart disease due to high cholesterol, genetics and lack of exercise. No one tells them they are lazy for getting a stint or having a heart bypass surgery. No one tells them they should just ignore it, eat healthy and exercise. It's too late for that for them. The damage is done. The same is true for my overweight body. The damage is done and this surgery provides me a tool to heal. After heart surgery, people often have to start a new diet, make changes, exercise and quit smoking to keep it healthy. The same for this tool. After VSG, you have to make lots of choices and changes, only now it really is possible. Just as people die from heart disease, I was dying from obesity. Now I have a tool to give me a new beginning.

Hello and welcome!!

I personally do not know what insurance you have, but I have Kaiser and live in N. California. They have a lot of requirements and as fast as you can reach goal weight and get thru your testing, you can have your surgery!!

We are not required in N. Cali to do the 12 weeks of Options Classes like S. Cali is, thank goodness, but we still have to do a lot of stuff. I feel it is great that they make us take classes and meet nuts and learn stuff. That way we are prepared!! We know what is going to happen and how to eat afterwards. No surprises!!

It has taken me a little over 5 months to get thru the program. I am scheduled for May 9th. YAY!! But, it has all been worth it. I have one more class next week to go to and one more test to do and I am done!!

Best of luck to you. You will find answers to everything here and the people are really nice and supportive!!;)

Kelly

Welcome. I've not told anyone other than my DH and parents, so I didn't have to deal with people saying it's the easy way out.

I guess it's something I will get used to. There are some ladis at my job who I think are making comments, however; they are bigger than I am and there weight watchers doesnt seem to be working much. One of the major commenters is near diabetic status and mentioned her medical bills have single handidly affected the rates of our insurance! I wanted to tell her she should attend with me. However I think when I am at a healthy weight and she can see how happy I am will be the best motivator and revenge!

BTW that's funny about WW, the helpders AND the leader at the meeting I went to weren't doing so well LOL!! cool.gif

I guess it's something I will get used to. There are some ladis at my job who I think are making comments, however; they are bigger than I am and there weight watchers doesnt seem to be working much. One of the major commenters is near diabetic status and mentioned her medical bills have single handidly affected the rates of our insurance! I wanted to tell her she should attend with me. However I think when I am at a healthy weight and she can see how happy I am will be the best motivator and revenge!

Thank you for the support I really needed it. During the session last night they had people who were post op speak. They all kinda said the same thing and they all said they were happy. My Dr is Dr. Neddleman at Ohio State University medical center. He has performed over 2400 surgeries and advised he thinks the sleeve has the best chance for no complications. I actually just scheduled my evaluation day for 4/22. I am wondering how to approach HR when I need to activate my short term disability benifits to recover? My friend had the bypass a week before christmas and was back at work on January 3rd. 3rd and thats after having complications with pancreatitis. I have the ability to work from home so I am hoping I can just take a week off. Any thoughts on this?

Welcome to the site.

"My question for the people here who have been through or are going through this, how do you deal with people when they tell you your taking the lazy way out? It angers me because I work so much harder than my peers and get poor results. I am anything but LAZY! "

As many people have said and will concur, this is anything but easy. It is a tool. You can still make poor or good choices.

Someone on here once said a good response is "so people who have heart disease and have heart surgery are lazy?" "People who have diabetes and take insulin are lazy"

Yes, I personally made poor choices to get me to the weight I was, but it did horrible things to my body that made it almost impossible to lose and keep off weight. It is not a matter of willpower. It is a combination of genetics, upbringing, and damage I have done to my body with too much dieting. My gastrointestinal system isn't working like its supposed to just like someone who has heart disease due to high cholesterol, genetics and lack of exercise. No one tells them they are lazy for getting a stint or having a heart bypass surgery. No one tells them they should just ignore it, eat healthy and exercise. It's too late for that for them. The damage is done. The same is true for my overweight body. The damage is done and this surgery provides me a tool to heal. After heart surgery, people often have to start a new diet, make changes, exercise and quit smoking to keep it healthy. The same for this tool. After VSG, you have to make lots of choices and changes, only now it really is possible. Just as people die from heart disease, I was dying from obesity. Now I have a tool to give me a new beginning.

Can't you just tell them you're having surgery? That's all you have to do in the UK, they don't need to know the specifics over here as that stuff's private.

Thank you for the support I really needed it. During the session last night they had people who were post op speak. They all kinda said the same thing and they all said they were happy. My Dr is Dr. Neddleman at Ohio State University medical center. He has performed over 2400 surgeries and advised he thinks the sleeve has the best chance for no complications. I actually just scheduled my evaluation day for 4/22. I am wondering how to approach HR when I need to activate my short term disability benifits to recover? My friend had the bypass a week before christmas and was back at work on January 3rd. 3rd and thats after having complications with pancreatitis. I have the ability to work from home so I am hoping I can just take a week off. Any thoughts on this?

True. THere are laws that protect your privacy and you do not have to give specifics. Just say you are having some medical issues and need to be out for a while. They can not pry. It is against the law.

Hope this helps!

Kelly

Hello and welcome!!

I personally do not know what insurance you have, but I have Kaiser and live in N. California. They have a lot of requirements and as fast as you can reach goal weight and get thru your testing, you can have your surgery!!

We are not required in N. Cali to do the 12 weeks of Options Classes like S. Cali is, thank goodness, but we still have to do a lot of stuff. I feel it is great that they make us take classes and meet nuts and learn stuff. That way we are prepared!! We know what is going to happen and how to eat afterwards. No surprises!!

It has taken me a little over 5 months to get thru the program. I am scheduled for May 9th. YAY!! But, it has all been worth it. I have one more class next week to go to and one more test to do and I am done!!

Best of luck to you. You will find answers to everything here and the people are really nice and supportive!!;) I'm dying over here because I dont' really know what to expect.

Kelly

I have Kaiser in N. Cal, too. I have my first consultation on May 10th and it cannot come fast enough!! So what do I do from there? I don't have to take the 12-week class? So far, I know they weigh me, I have to lose 10%, I have to schedule all the pre-op appts. (did you have to do the swallow and the sleep apnea test?) What else? Share your wealth of knowledge with me. :D lol

I'm typically not a person who lies, but I am telling my boss that I am getting by gallbladder removed. The recovery time is very similar for that and I don't want them to know what I am really having done. (My boss is an extremely judgmental individual.) So that's my plan... hopefully I don't *actually* have to get my gallbladder removed in the next couple years. I don't know what I would say then! lol!! :D

The N. Calif. program is ALOT different than the others. Here is how it worked for me.

I asked my dr. for the surgery, he sent me to a bariatrics overview class. It was a class where i had to watch a video about the different procedures that Kaiser offers. After that, I had to inform him if I still wanted to proceed. He then sent me to orientation at Richmond. This was a 4 hour class where they weigh you, you meet the Nutritionist, Case Manager, and a Surgeon speaks to the entire class about eating, surgery and what to expect. You get a binder and this is you BIBLE. You have to take this with you to every appointment!! At the end of this seminar, they give you your surgeon appointment.

Now, when you meet the surgeon, he will tell you how much you have to lose. AND contrary to what you have heard, it is not always 10%. I weighed 272lbs and had to lose 20. They base it on your weight history and how you carry it.

Then you are on your own to lose it. Once you are within 5lbs of "goal weight" you call and you get your psych appt. When you meet her, she will assess you and if she clears you, you get your case manager appt and that is the one where you get your surgery date.

You will have to do blood tests, EKG, pregnacy test and whatever else the surgeon wants. You then have to take a nutrition and post op class and that is it! You can move as fast or as slow as it takes you to get the weight off that they require.

Just a little advice, if they give you Dr. Fisher, do what he says!! He is STRICT! he is a tell it like it is kinda fella, but that is why i like him. He doesn't mess around!! If you don't do what he says, he will cancel you!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Kelly :D

oh, i also had to do an upper endoscopy as a pre-op test.

it took me about 6 months to go thru the program. i am scheduled to have surgery may 9th. i have seen people do it in 3 monhts tho.

kelly

Thanks, Kelly! That is exactly all the information I have been looking for all compacted into one comment! :) Yikes, I wonder how long it's going to take me to lose 20+/ish pounds. What worked for you. I think I'll hit up the forum and see what other people with PCOS did. I'm thinking low carb/zero processed sugars. I'm not much of a sweet tooth anyway. I am headed over to GNC today to test out some Protein powders and get all that ready.

I am SO glad I came to this forum!! I was so dead set on a lap band. Then started to get weirded out by having a port sticking out of my side. THEN I read all the stories about people getting banded then getting the sleeve. I'm just gonna skip the unnecessary surgery and just go straight for the sleeve! I kinda feel like I dodged a bullet thanks to this forum! woot!!!! lol.

quote name='RHL592' timestamp='1303248903' post='139581']

I have Kaiser in N. Cal, too. I have my first consultation on May 10th and it cannot come fast enough!! So what do I do from there? I don't have to take the 12-week class? So far, I know they weigh me, I have to lose 10%, I have to schedule all the pre-op appts. (did you have to do the swallow and the sleep apnea test?) What else? Share your wealth of knowledge with me. :D lol

It seems to me that people with conditions like PCOS that make i hard to lose weight should have a lower requirement- if you could lose the weight that easily you would not need surgery!

The little devil in me thinks you could to what the manipulators on Biggest Loser do - push the Water intensely before your first weigh in so your weight is artificially high... ;-P