Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Artificial sweeteners...

Sign in to follow this  

Is there any possible way to go low carb right after surgery without using artificial sweeteners? I absolutely cannot stand the taste. My family says just start eating the splenda, etc. but I have tried and can't choke it down. I drink regular coke and have forever, and tried to drink diet coke many times, sometimes even for months and it just never works. I would rather not have anything. My sister used to even do "taste tests" with regular Jello and art. sweet. Jello. There is just no way to sneak it in for me. I think my body rejects it. I always get excited when a brand new sweetener comes out...like spenda, then stevia, etc. but then it never works out. Also, someone on here posted how agave nectar is no better than white sugar. sad.gif

I know we have to have lots of jello, popsicles, etc to get in all the liquids. And most of the post-op Protein shakes all have aspartame or some other sweetener and I know I won't be able to drink them. The last thing I need to do is vomit trying to gag it down.

I know sugar can spike your blood sugar and cause cravings, but I have heard the same for artificial sweeteners too.

I know I can do well later on with low carb, when I can have more choices like meat. But until then, when all I can have is broth and popsicles, and jello, it's going to be hard.

Bottom line, I just want to know if real sugar can cause actual harm to my new stomach other than just causing cravings.

Have you tried truvia. I know it is a long stretch but its not suppose to have an aftertaste..Just my thoughts..good luck

Yes, I have tried that and while not NEARLY as bad as aspartame, still the same after taste, to me at least.

I think I will just have to take my chances with the cravings and eat regular Jello and popsicles. And may just try to eat more broth to get my fluids in.

Thanks very much for the suggestion, though!smile.gif

There are some no sugar added Popsicles that are made of fruit juice. They don't have sweeteners. There is no reason you can't have sugar if that is what you choose over artificial sweeteners.

I hate aspartame too and try to avoid artificial sweetner. I would just rather eat real sugar if I am going to have a small treat.

After years of going artificial sweetener free, I broke down and had some sugar-free Jell-o and popsicles - just because the pre-op diet was already overwhelming. After surgery I am going back to either stevia or agave nectar - a few carbs won't hurt.

I buy the lil packets of sugar kool aid and put it in a very big jar of Water, like almost 30 oz. SO that is only 60 calories. That isnt bad. I don't do artificial...personal preference. I haven't been a model sleever, but I've done ok.