Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yoga / Pilates

I love pilates, it is hard work. I do it 3 times a week, but its taken me two months to get to that. the 1st time i did it i was sore for a week. I have the whole set begining to advanced. i am still in the begining stage...

Jen, do you have to be really flexible to do pilates? My body is so ridged and the last time I tried yoga it was a joke !!! I looked and felt like a goober.

Honey, I am 6'2 and 315 lbs. I am not flexable at all..... At least I wasn't when I first started, but now I have noticed that my legs and arms go much higher now. Its more strengh training aganst you own body weight. PM ing you !

I do pilaties, and I love it. I espeically love the ball.

It doesn' matter how flexible you start at, you will gain flexibility with both pilaties and yoga as you work them more.

I have trouble with the Sun Salutation yoga postition, something about rolling down to touch the floor rilly pisses off my band... I've PB's more than once from this position.

of course, your mileage may vary

I tried Pilate's and didn't care for it too much. I did feel like I got a good workout, but it gave me a headache. I still have my Pilate's DVD set. I wonder if I'm allowed to offer them for sale on here? It's the Winsor Pilate's Basic 3 DVD Workout set along with a recipe booklet (they call it a meal plan). If anyone is interested, PM me and if I'm not allowed to do this, please smack my hand and send me to my room. :eek:

:update: DVD's are now sold....thanks to all who were interested!!

Pilates is unbelieveable!! Even with weight training, I feel muscles I never knew I had after using Pilates. You will surely feel it all in your forearms, upper arms, back, legs, butt, everywhere..even ankles.

I am going to start pilates with my personal trainer when I move back to NYC in mid August- by then I'll be 6 weeks and so out from surgery. Anyone have trouble exercising with pilates so close to sugery>

I also have all of the Winsor Pilates DVD's. At first I wasn't really flexible and i was rigid, but within a few weeks I noticed I was more limber and flexible. I don't do it now as often as I did during the first burst of major weight loss, but I hope to get into it again soon. Plus, I also noticed that I was more "at peace" and relaxed the whole day. Where as now I can get a bit tense.

I'd really like to do Pilates, after three babies I think there's no doubt my core could use some strengthening, although overall I"m not in bad shape strengthwise.

But I'm hesitant to use a video, I actually find them too easy, but my DH has had individual Pilates instruction and its way different, those video's are often dumbed down versions, the real thing with the reformers and other pilates equipment is very different and extremely effective. But it was costing him $45 each session (with a rebate from our health insurance) and we could justify it because of his back (which it really helped). And he was doing it near work, its too hard with a 3 year old in tow, sadly.

If you aren't sure about Pilates (or Yoga, for that matter) here's an idea. I found a beginners DVD (was it Pilates for Dummies?) at the library and took it home for a week. Did it (kinda) once and it got a thumbs up. I'm not interested in anything more advanced that what I got on that DVD, I'll tell ya. WHEW! And I'm fairly flexible and strong. I'm no athelete, but, ya know. It was hard but do-able. Good luck!

I've been doing yoga once a week for about a year. The class that I go to is small and the teacher is very observant and will help us to modify poses if need be. I really like yoga. It doesn't have all that jumping around like an aerobic workout and mainly focuses on stretching. It's very calming and relaxing. I think one of the main things to really getting into it is having the right teacher.

You guys should get a GOOD pilates ball...The best ball on the market (in my opinion) is the Fitball.....www.balldynamics.com. The fitball is one of the original pilates balls. It will cost you about $30. Now, you can buy cheaper balls, but the reason you want the Fitball is that it is SAFE. It is made of a special material and if it ruptures or gets a hole, it deflates very slowly, allowing you to get off without falling on your a$$ and breaking something. And, the material is very tough!!! My two Boxers have jumped on me while I am on mine! Cheaper balls, if ruptured or receiving a hole, will collapse quickly, resulting in injury. I have one, and have had it more than two years. I love it, especially just to stretch when I have back pain. As a companion, you can buy a book called "Pilates on the Ball".They also sell it through the above link. DEFINITELY try it!!! The older I get, the less flexible I feel, and the ball helps me to feel like I am going to be a hunched over old lady!!!!!!!

Charlotte