Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Something nagging me.

I am a vegetarian, I eat eggs and dairy too. There are quite a few Protein sources I use in my diet. Gluten, soy, milk/whey products, nuts, Beans, eggs….I am getting the sleeve in two weeks.

My concerns are:

-That I may become lactose intolerant….or not be able to eat eggs… and reduce my choices by a bunch.

-Many of these choices are high in carbs. I hope I will have success in losing all my over weight, even though my carbs will probably be higher then some of yours.

-Its always easier to eat meat when you eat out to get protein. If I can't eat dairy or eggs…..it will be impossible much of the time to find enough protein. I figure I can have a Protein Drink before going out…

just fussing here….where there is a will there is a way…I REALLY do not want to go back to eating meat because my sleeve is fussy….

Hi, I've not become intolerant to anything I wasn't already intolerant to. I did take it easy in the first weeks though. Yogurt is recommend because people tend to have less reaction to fermented products. FYI Greek yogurt has double the Protein of standard yogurt (9g v 4.5g/100g). In your early days just yogurt or yogurt drink will be easier on you, as Greek yogurt is pretty heavy.

Have you tried lactose free milk? I don't recall hearing of anyone becoming intolerant to eggs, so you should be OK with them

Don't worry about protein too much at the beginning, just concentrate on getting your fluids. All the best for your op! rolleyes.gif

I eat chicken and turkey on occasion before I had my sleeve. No red meat at all though. I don't normally like eggs too much either. I was a little concerned with my Protein as well especially since my kaiser doesn't approve of Protein Shakes. So far chicken sits heavy in my sleeve, when I have done pureed chicken salad, but egg salad pureed was fine. I have had a little milk and did not have any problems. Yogurt and greek yogurt went down easily also. I think that you will do fine. It just takes time to find out what works well for your body.

Most adults are lactose intollerant anyway we just don't realize it. Skin problems, gas, runny nose we dont' associate. Not many of us 30 year olds were meant to be still nursing (much less nursing from a cow) by design. Goat's milk is MUCH easier to tollerate as it is very close to human milk. If you can tollerate goat's milk you can tollerate goat's cheese and usually yogurt is easy on the body. Check out Coconut milk also for fluids. Beans are an excellent source of protien and you may consider adding either foul or fish into your diet. I was a veg head for years in my teens but added back in f&f because I was lacking in protien. You can also put some Peanut Butter in shakes or peanut flour. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Thanks guys, I'm sure I will figure out something if I need to.

Hopefully the carbs won't get me down either...Cheers, K

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches