Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sorry my first post is a cry for help

I've been reading your posts for months and the members here are so wise and very encouraging. I need a little of your wisdom now fellow sleevers. I was sleeved June 22, 2010. On Monday I was officially down 50lbs. I wish I would lose faster but am proud that at least it has been consistent. Then Tuesday I had my gallbladder removed. It was a big mess but even though I'm hurting the one thing I am focused on is the fact that I GAINED 5 pounds from the surgery. I am so distraught over this that I feel like a failure. My doctor says it's just fluids from surgery but I haven't shed the pounds yet. Has this happened to anyone else? My husband is also a doctor (and sleeved) and swears it will go away but I just got over a stall. He hid the scale to help me. I think I just want some assurance from people who have had similar experiences that this is not the end of my weight loss, that I have not been permanently derailed. Again, sorry my first post is so whiney.

I have yet to be sleeved, but I ALWAYS gain weight after surgery. They pump so much Fluid in you, it's bound to happen. As a matter of fact, after I had a c-section (delievered an 8lb baby and all that goes with it) I came home and got on the scale because I wanted to see how much weight I lost after having a baby. Much to my dismay, I actually had gained a pound. lol I frantically called my OB/GYN to see what was going on. They said it was due to the surgery and all the fluids. It took a good two weeks before the weight started to go down. So moral of the story is, the weight gain is due to the surgery. Let your body heal :)

I agree that it is entirely from the surgery. You would have had to consume somewhere around 15000 extra calories since removal of your gall bladder...I hardly think with your sleeve that is possible. It is one of those side effects of surgery fluids etc. Just focus on recovering from this other surgery and continue eating your Protein and getting your fluids. It will drop off there before you know it. Don't be caught up in those pounds, though I know it is hard to see them on the scale. Just think logically and you will realize it isn't a true gain. Don't be sorry about your first post being a cry for help. We welcome you and congrats on your success thus far and welcome to the site!

Totally Water weight from the gb surgery. I came out from gb removal in February and had gained 7-9lbs. I lost all of it within 10ish days or so, and I didn't even fret over it.

Don't stress or you're body will just continue to hang onto the weight.

Thank you all for your encouraging words. Sometimes you just need to "hear" it from others that know what you are going through. I feel so much better today. I'm taking your words to heart and promise not to stress about it. In fact I feel good enough to walk this morning. I'll let you know how many days it actually takes for that surgery weight to come off so if someone else ever has this problem they won't react like I did. I am back on track and in the right frame of mind. I cannot thank you all enough.

I've been reading your posts for months and the members here are so wise and very encouraging. I need a little of your wisdom now fellow sleevers. I was sleeved June 22, 2010. On Monday I was officially down 50lbs. I wish I would lose faster but am proud that at least it has been consistent. Then Tuesday I had my gallbladder removed. It was a big mess but even though I'm hurting the one thing I am focused on is the fact that I GAINED 5 pounds from the surgery. I am so distraught over this that I feel like a failure. My doctor says it's just fluids from surgery but I haven't shed the pounds yet. Has this happened to anyone else? My husband is also a doctor (and sleeved) and swears it will go away but I just got over a stall. He hid the scale to help me. I think I just want some assurance from people who have had similar experiences that this is not the end of my weight loss, that I have not been permanently derailed. Again, sorry my first post is so whiney.

IV fluids, trauma and swelling from the surgery WILL make you gain weight. . . but honey it's only Water weight! Once life gets back to normal for you, it's going to fall off. . . your DH did the right thing by hiding the scale. . . those evil things can cause us to go into seizures! Just drink your Water, watch your carbs and calories and STAY away from the evil scale and your going to be ok. . . Good luck. . . by the way, are you feeling better? Gallbladder surgery can be such a pain!!!

Thank you again everyone. Today was a great day. I got out and walked. I'm still bruised and sore but it felt good to move! I didnt even try to find the scale. Plus, I got in all my Protein without extra carbs or stuff I shouldn't have. I feel by monday morning all will be right in my world. I have felt so empowered these past few months of not being a slave to food. I slip sometimes but never for long and I always hold my head high and take responsibility. I think the weight gain freaked me out this time because I didn't stray from the guidlines and it made my pants tight:( I hope you all have a great weekend full of fun and LIFE. Don't you just love your sleeve?!