Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little LOST! - Any tips

Hi Everyone,

I'm Irene. I'm schedule for my sleeve on Sept. 8th. My pre-op with my doctor was yesterday afternoon. On his way to the office, his wife called and it was time for the new "baby". I wasn't able to ask him my list of questions. I will call his office to get just a couple of things answered by his assistant.

I have two questions for you all. How bad is the pain after surgery after a couple of weeks? I'm not nervous today, but I saw three people yesterday that were four weeks out and they were so complaining about the pain and with little movement. (one seemed like a natural negative person, unfortunately)

Question 2 - How much walking can you do during the first week? I have two babies (shih-tzus) that LOVE walking. Any other tips? I welcome all.

Thanks in advance from little Houston, Texas. :scared0:

Hi There!

I'll be completely honest....I couldn't believe how much pain I was in! I'm 3 weeks post op and doing ok now, still tender, and my left side (which is the side that the stapler went into) is still really sore. I cried the first 2 days and can't tell you how many times I said "they didn't tell me how painful this would be". I read a lot on the boards and people were fine after a few days, but not me. I was hurting. I also had a rare hernia fixed (he's only seen 3 of this type doing the surgery for 15 years), so he thinks a lot of my pain is from that....but be prepared! It hurts. Though, everyone is different, I was just surprised at how bad I was feeling. I'm now 3 weeks out, and I'm walking. I try to get out of the house at least once a day and just take it slow...it's worth it though! (sorry if I scared you! The Dr and nurse kept telling me I'd have little discomfort...and that's NOT what I felt!) Good luck on your journey! :)

My pain was minimum. I took iv pain meds day 1 and part of day 2. After I got home I took 1 dose of liquid loratab and thru it up. Never took anything (not even tylenol) after that. Getting up and down out of bed required assistance for a day or so. But keep in mind my weight was 355lbs on a 5'2"frame So that was a lot of fat to be adjusting at one time. After 5-6 days I was getting around pretty good.

Everyone is different.

I had almost no pain at all. After I went home - the 2nd day- I think I took liquid Lortab 2 times.. I had a little discomfort but not pain. I went back to work after 2 weeks. I could have gone back in a week. I was completely fine.

You may be one of those without the pain or with some.. No one can tell you exactly how YOU will feel.

Good luck. I am praying for you.

Thanks Ladies. I appreciate the input. Less than 24hrs to go until the big day. Take care.

I too am one of the ones who barely had any pain. I stop my morphine drip in the hospital after about 12 hours and used the script pain meds for a day or two when I got home. I was off from work for two weeks, but could have gone back in a week if I had to. I walked the first night at the hospital and been walking ever since. I walk for a half of a hour on my lunch break everyday. I have not been cleared for anything else, but as soon as I am I will be hitting the gym.

I am now 3 weeks post op today and I feel and look great.

Good luck and best wishes on your surgery tomorrow!!!!!:):D

Deb