Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I thought I would give an update on my progress .. my surgery was three months ago today. All I can say is that it was a complete life-changing experience.

I am not someone who suffered any pain or acid reflex post-op and with what I have read here, I am a rarity to some degree. To me, my weight has literally fallen off so far (82 pounds today) and with that loss comes zero desire to eat any junk (sugar/carbs were my downfall) and eating healthy is so easy. I love it.

I have lost 5 sizes and my wardrobe (which was very impressive at the start of this *lol*) has diminished to almost nothing. I was sure I would have gotten about 6 months out of it but come September, it's time for new clothes. I have my three-month post-surgical appt in a couple of weeks so I am excited about seeing the surgeon again.

I am eating about 5-6 times a day and it's very small portions .. maximum about 2/3 cup at any time. My day typically looks like this:

Fibre One Cereal with a few berries & milk

Greek yogurt for a snack

Soup, tuna salad, chicken or some other high Protein lunch

Protein Drink

More high Protein and veggies for dinner

High fibre snack in the evening

That's it pretty much every day. I am not bored and I do mix it up once in awhile but food isn't my focus but rather a necessity. I take all of my Vitamins every day as well about 8 glasses of Water. It's a struggle some days because I may be tired or just simply not hungry but I focus on protein (60-70 grams), Water and fibre. I calculate an approximate intake of about 800 calories, of average. Sometimes a bit more .. but never over 900 calories. I tend to gravitate towards Soups and 'easy' foods because as soon as protein hits my stomach, it's like a dam and I eat very little after that. I want to chew, you know? *lol*

Physically, I can do quite a bit more yet I still struggle with tiredness. I have had no sugar or caffeine since March so maybe this it the 'true' me in terms of my energy level. I realize little food and rapid weight loss plays a big part but exercise remains a bit of a chore. I need to work at it more. I sleep more now than when I did as a teenager.

I am looking to lose another 100 pounds however I am feeling pretty good even now. I told no one except family. Friends and co-workers are noticing now. I am not someone who really lacked confidence but talk about a boost!

Since my surgery, I have had two very stressful events happen to me .. the end of a personal relationship and also the unexpected death of one of my siblings. Healing was a challenge at first but I learned that my emotions are front and centre when it comes to dealing with myself. I have read a lot about people's emotional eating and how they handle it post-op and for me, I didn't feel compelled to race to the kitchen. I cried and let it out. Talk to people .. it works.

I have had very little hair loss ... a little .. but not much. I have a lot of hair to begin with so perhaps I had 'spare' to lose but so far, so good.

I 'fit' differently into chairs, my car, my shoes .. there are differences all around me. It's been exciting to see and feel these changes and I know the best is yet to come. Socially, I have been out a few times as I am in the 'let's do lunch' environment and I am constantly amazed how much people eat vs. what I now eat. I can't imagine my life prior to surgery anymore .. my capacity to fill myself is so little. My desire is even less. I have had no alcohol to date and plan to stay away from it for at least 6 months. Again, no desire or pressure to even have it so it's not an issue for me. I am razzed a bit by dinner companions who wonder how I can 'get by' with just a bowl of Soup but I find that soup is the easiest thing for me to order and consume without getting immediately stuffed by a chicken breast or salmon, etc.

Anyway, that is my two cents. Thanks for reading and I wish continued success to the other sleevers :thumbup1:

Congratulations! You are doing great....82 pounds in 3 months is awesome! I appreciate you sharing your experience. I am getting close to getting a date for surgery and sometimes I wonder what the hell I am doing.....then I read a story like yours and remember. Thanks for sharing.

That is great news. You have had great success. I am sorry to hear of the emotional struggles you have had to face but so proud of how you handled them. It is very encouraging to me personally to know that yes, there are other ways to handle such situations. thanks for sharing, best of luck to you.

OMG. 82 pounds in 3 months!!! That's EXCELLENT. Keep up that hard work. Your story is inspiring to those of us who use food to cover our emotions. Yes thanks for sharing. I and I'm sure others appreciate it too. Please keep us updated with your continued success. Best wishes.

Deb

I hope I inspired you in some way to continue your journey. I had read a number of stories when I first had my surgery and I remember thinking that I hoped to have similar success. You will .. this surgery is a gift of change.

Congratulations! You are doing great....82 pounds in 3 months is awesome! I appreciate you sharing your experience. I am getting close to getting a date for surgery and sometimes I wonder what the hell I am doing.....then I read a story like yours and remember. Thanks for sharing.

That's amazing! Congrats!!

That's exactly it, Maddie .. learning to make changes from old ways that were harmful, damaging and repetitive. Thanks for your words .. I appreciate them.

That is great news. You have had great success. I am sorry to hear of the emotional struggles you have had to face but so proud of how you handled them. It is very encouraging to me personally to know that yes, there are other ways to handle such situations. thanks for sharing, best of luck to you.

Thanks, Deb .. I have enjoyed every moment of this change and while it was a huge adjustment at first, I am cruising now :thumbup1: I will stay in touch.

OMG. 82 pounds in 3 months!!! That's EXCELLENT. Keep up that hard work. Your story is inspiring to those of us who use food to cover our emotions. Yes thanks for sharing. I and I'm sure others appreciate it too. Please keep us updated with your continued success. Best wishes.

Deb

I'm sorry for your loss and glad for your loss (of pounds)! Life has a way of throwing us curveballs and looks like you did a fabulous job. Healing from your sibling's death will take time, the relationship too, but you are on a life changing course... there's no turning back! Continued success on the weight loss!

great post, I enjoy reading what everyone has to say. I love the fact that through all your trials that you have stayed your course, and learned new things about yourself and how to deal with challenges. It goes to show that this surgry will not only change our body but our mind if we let it.

Thanks so much and well said :) Life does throw us curve balls and these were two I was not expecting however I am doing the best I can. I suspect my tiredness is related to both issues .. healing takes awhile. Thanks again.

I'm sorry for your loss and glad for your loss (of pounds)! Life has a way of throwing us curveballs and looks like you did a fabulous job. Healing from your sibling's death will take time, the relationship too, but you are on a life changing course... there's no turning back! Continued success on the weight loss!

When I went for the pre-op assessment, the psychologist and I spoke about life's tribulations and I left there thinking I can handle anything .. not realizing what was about to hit me. So yes, I was very challenged but the weird thing is that food wasn't tempting at all. This surgery seemingly removed my desire to eat or even have hunger pangs so being challenged yet getting through it as best I could is where I feel my success .. not just on the scale. Thanks for your words.

great post, I enjoy reading what everyone has to say. I love the fact that through all your trials that you have stayed your course, and learned new things about yourself and how to deal with challenges. It goes to show that this surgry will not only change our body but our mind if we let it.

You're doing fabulously! I'm sorry for what you've been through but I"m happy you were able to deal with it ok.

Has all of that 82 lbs been since surgery or did you lose any of that on a pre-op diet?

I had surgery one day before you and I'm not doing that darned good! LOL

Congrats on your amazing loss, we have the same surgey date, I have a sleeve sister! yay! I hope you continue to do well and sorry for all you've had to deal with.