Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much hair did you lose?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. How much hair did you lose?

• none/very little
    • mild-more than usual, but it wasnt obvious
    • moderate-hair looked thinner in the mirror
    • severe-bald spots, needed a wig or pony tail

I am just curious to see what the Hair loss was like for everyone!

I'm not far enough out to give a real vote, because I may continue losing. At 3.5 months, my hair is already a lot thinner. I can see hair on my hands when I wash it, and there are hairs on my bathroom counter and wall where it comes out when i blow dry it.

I am 1 and 1/2 years out from surgery and had thick hair. My hair is thinner, but almost everyone except my hairdresser says they do not notice. I would lose lots of hair when I shampooed, and asked my surgeon when I would stop losing hair. He said, "when you stop losing weight." So everytime I would see lots of hair in my hands in I would say to myself "I'm still losing weight, I'm still losing weight." My Hair loss has stopped. I cannot say it is as thick as before, but like I said, most people do not notice. I do take Biotin. I cannot say it has helped regain hair, I only notice I do not lose anymore. I figure it cannot hurt any. To me it has not been a big issue. A friend who had the sleeve before me did not lose hair at all. Some don't I guess.

I am about 2 1/2 months out and I definitely notice a bit more Hair loss. My hair is very long so when you see strands on the floor that are 2-3 feet long, you pay attention! The same thing happened to me when my son was born (c-section) .. surgery in itself, for me, causes hair loss. My previous experience wasn't drastic so I am not expecting to worry about this too much .. my hair grows pretty quickly anyway.

I literally lost half of my hair in volume. No bald spots, but at the crown of my head my hair was extremely thin. I did have to tease, and manipulate my hair to make it not as obvious. People noticed I was losing hair because it was all over the place. My husband, and myself noticed the most. My hair is still considerably thinner than it was pre-op, and I'm fairly sure it'll take a good 1-2 years for my hair to completely recover.

I'm losing TONS of hair, if you look at what winds up all over me and my hands and over the drain in the shower (thank god for the drain trap)... but by percentage, it's not that bad and not noticeable at all. This is one time in my life where I'm actually thankful for super-thick hair ('cause otherwise it's a hot pain in the ass!).

I really worried about this part of the journey, my hair is super fine (even though is doesn't look it) and tons is already falling out now that I'm older yikes :-(

Well I agree its a fair trade-getting a thinner body along with thinner hair:) Esp since it will grow back. Has anyone tried womens rogaine or prenatal Vitamins (or asked their doctors about it)

Well I agree its a fair trade-getting a thinner body along with thinner hair:) Esp since it will grow back. Has anyone tried womens rogaine or prenatal Vitamins (or asked their doctors about it)

I've heard the women's nioxin shampoos do nothing but dry out the hair. I did use a Shampoo called Folicure that you can find at beauty supply stores, or online at amazon.com

I only used it every other day, and on the other day, I used Nexxus Dualiste anti-breakage shampoo/conditioner.

You can also take Biotin, or any other hair/nail/skin supplement. Pre-natals always made me sick before so I didn't want to take them just for the hair benefit. I stuck with my normal multi, which had a small amount of Biotin in it already, and just used the shampoo stuff.

Well maybe I will get lucky and not lose as much... I've had three surgeries this past year and havent lost a whole lot of hair (that I have noticed)

And I will def stock up on these shampoos and supplements.

I think the reason its so scary for those of us who havent had surgery yet is that as a large person, the only things that you can really do to make yourself look really good (like if your going out or dressing up) is by taking extra time to do your hair and makeup. And to think that one of the only things about myself I really wouldnt want to change is going to change is pretty scary! But most of you who have already had the surgery dont seem too broken up about it, and I'm trying to remind myself of all the cute clothes I'll get to buy:)

Well maybe I will get lucky and not lose as much... I've had three surgeries this past year and havent lost a whole lot of hair (that I have noticed)

And I will def stock up on these shampoos and supplements.

I think the reason its so scary for those of us who havent had surgery yet is that as a large person, the only things that you can really do to make yourself look really good (like if your going out or dressing up) is by taking extra time to do your hair and makeup. And to think that one of the only things about myself I really wouldnt want to change is going to change is pretty scary! But most of you who have already had the surgery dont seem too broken up about it, and I'm trying to remind myself of all the cute clothes I'll get to buy:)

I'm probably one of the most vain people you will encounter. Seriously, I am supposed to wear glasses, and can't do contacts. I'm so vain that I'd rather be blind than wear glasses that I "feel" make me look old. Even as a fat chick, I was vain. I loved, loved, my hair, and when I started losing it, I was umm pissed to say the least. I had 2 knee surgeries, a c-section, and lapband and never lost an extra strand.

I had gorgeous hair pre-op. But, I will say the first time you slide on a tiny size of true skinny jeans, and your a$$ looks awesome in them, the Hair loss thing is a distant memory :confused1:

tiffy-I just noticed that you are 28lbs *below* target weight! That has got to be an amazing feeling-actually out doing what you were hoping to achieve:) And yeah, I def have a love affair with my hair- I have these big cheeks that only look normal when my hair is down. But I can do pony tails and root lifter if it means that I can leave these size 22's behind forever!

I lost half my hair. it's growing back in , but the thing that bothers me is that I am still losing it. I am wondering if having gall bladder surgery started the Hair loss over again.

I lost half my hair. it's growing back in , but the thing that bothers me is that I am still losing it. I am wondering if having gall bladder surgery started the Hair loss over again.

It did for me too ;( Dr. M told me it's because there for those 2-3 months, I had to cut most fat out of my diet because it made me sick.

It's not as bad as it was with VSG, but I'm shedding more than I normally do this time of year.