Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG colonoscopy question

Hello All, I'm new here. Am considering VSG but am wondering if anyone can tell me about having other procedures after VSG like colonoscopy. We have a family history of colon cancer so routine colonoscopies are not optional...so...how do you drink down all the "stuff" you need to drink in order to have a colonoscopy? The taste is bad enough, but I do have a very full feeling in my stomach with an entire stomach...just trying to imagine how this can be done (drinking 2 liters) with a stomach that holds just a few ounces?

the VSG only effects the stomach, therefore there will not be any problem having a colonoscopy in the future. with a colonoscopy they take a camera and look at your colon. think about your anatomy esophagus... stomach... small intestine... colon... rectum. if in the future you need an EGD.... esophagus/gastric/duodenal(first portion of the small intestine) then your gastric doctor would just need your medical history so that he could determine if the test was needed and then the proper equipment to use. hope this helps. kelly

:smile1:What I'm really wanting to know is how people with such small stomachs can hold the amount of drink required before colonoscopy. Sorry I wasn't more clear in my first attempt.

Possomtrot,

I am interested in this question also. I had a polop removed that "showed change" with my colonoscopy 6 years ago.

I know there are pills you can take if you cannot tolerate the stuff most people are told to drink.

I took those pills prior to colon surgery, and they do work. For me they were not as effective. Maybe I should have taken them earlier and drank more liquid? ?

I didn't know that pills were an option. That has to be better than drinking liters of that stuff that tasted like what I imagine liquid Pledge would taste like!

I am also curious about the pre-colonoscopy prep. We can't exactly hold the amount of liquid average people can .... I have been avoiding making my appt. for the colonoscopy in fear they will still expect me to drink a couple liters of stuff.

When I had my colonoscopy I drank the nasty "stuff" :thumbup1:. It is very, very salty tasting, so they have you mix it in juice or other things. I mixed up some Country Time lemonade or you can use Kool Aid. You're just not suppose to drink anything with red or purple dye in it.

Honestly it's some nasty stuff to get down.

With the pills the only draw back is you have to take alot of them. I think I had to take 6 pills at four or five different times. You are suppose to drink alot with those. Still it was better than the nasty "stuff" :scared0:!

You'll be able to do it, it will just be a far more time consuming endeavor. If you let your Gastroenterologist know the situation they may have more/different options for you. Your ability to drink really improves over time. (Thank goodness cuz those first few weeks were SOOOOOOO annoying to me!) Its great that you stay on top of this though. Best of luck!