Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dating and atheism

Well.... I guess this thread goes either here or in the singles section.

So...... the one thing I really envy religious people is their social networking. They form great communities and have lots of opportunities to meet people. I'm single and would like to meet someone but where?

There is an athiest group in my community called freethinkers of colorado springs. It looks like they do cool stuff, they have sunday hikes and lectures and pot luck etc....

I'm a little worried though. I really don't want to preach the gosple of athiesm or listen to militant athiest doctrin. I may just be stereotyping.... maybe the group is full of people just like me, jsut looking for social outlets. I guess I won't know till I try.

Have you guys had experiences with these types of groups?

Where do athiests meet people (besides online)?

Thanks

Stacey

I think you are sterotyping a bit. I go to a Unitarian Universalist Church where we do a lot of the same things. We have potlucks, hikes, and do lots and LOTS of volunteering/social action. We have ppl from all faiths but most are Athiest. We started going for a place to get that community feeling and get active in our community. You can see if there is a UU church in your community. I think vounteering regardless of if you go to church or not is a great way to meet people. Best of luck!

Your dating doesn't have to center around religion (or lack thereof). Go to poetry readings, book signings, and concerts. Go to wine tastings and museum openings. Go to the beach and play pick-up volleyball.

There are so many things you can do where you'll meet other singles, that you don't ever have to focus on the religious aspect.

Uh, last I heard there was no such thing as "militant atheist doctrine." I'd bet anything the people in the freethinkers group are just like you -- people who want to meet others who don't need or want religion in their lives. Give it a try -- if you don't like it, you don't have to go back!

Perhaps you have an art walk in your town? We have a second saturday thing here with LOTs of people milling around... you might even see some good art! Meetup.com lists lots of activities in your area.

http://www.meetup.com/

I agree, ouroborous, there are places to meet peeps other than online and church conventions...i like the farmers markets for fantastic people watching. Im not currently dating, but if/when I do, bookstores, health food places, hiking trails, beach clean-ups, and political functions are the places im gonna hit up...

I'm an atheist who lives in a very religious area. I was tired of guys who (sweetly) assumed that I just needed to get back in touch with Jesus or something. It ended a few relationships. I finally started dating online and in my profile I said I would date someone of any religion but I was firm in my own atheist beliefs. I met my husband that way.

Uh, last I heard there was no such thing as "militant atheist doctrine." I'd bet anything the people in the freethinkers group are just like you -- people who want to meet others who don't need or want religion in their lives. Give it a try -- if you don't like it, you don't have to go back!

I think "militant atheist doctrine" is like "antitheism" ie. Christopher Hitchens ... As much of a Hitchens fan as I am ..I dont think id want to spend my social time with 30 Hitchens. .. lol

I'm an atheist who lives in a very religious area. I was tired of guys who (sweetly) assumed that I just needed to get back in touch with Jesus or something. It ended a few relationships. I finally started dating online and in my profile I said I would date someone of any religion but I was firm in my own atheist beliefs. I met my husband that way.

Cool good for you! Gives me hope, I would really love to date another free thinker/realist/humanist/atheist/agnostic lol or somewhere in there.. or a theologian!? just someone I can have an intelligent convo with about religion, history, humanity, science..most religious ppl dont know the books they live by well enough to have a decent discussion about religion ...

Cool good for you! Gives me hope, I would really love to date another free thinker/realist/humanist/atheist/agnostic lol or somewhere in there.. or a theologian!? just someone I can have an intelligent convo with about religion, history, humanity, science..most religious ppl dont know the books they live by well enough to have a decent discussion about religion ...

I just posted a quiz on this forum and yes, a couple of us agnostics did know more about religions than did some of the followers.