Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved on may 11th and am on day 6 of the clear liquid phase. I'm not having any problem getting enough fluids or Protein, but i am having severe hunger pangs. They are bad enough to be recognized as real hunger and not "head" hunger, and have kept me awake for the past couple of nights. Med*fast and Atk*ns shakes have seemed to help alleviate hunger when i was doing these diets in the past, but do they qualify as Clear liquids?

Oh, and I've lose 8 lbs since surgery, for a total of 15 since my 10-day pre-op diet.Yeah!!!:thumbup:

I will share my experience - you will have to make your own decision tho : )

I was into the full liquid stage the first week primarily because I didn't feel good on clears, and soft/mushy soon after. I was weak, tired and cranky. I used the Atkins shakes alot before surgery. I also use them post-op and Premier shakes (30 grams protein) that I bought at costco.

Edited by pnw218

I was sleeved on may 11th and am on day 6 of the clear liquid phase. I'm not having any problem getting enough fluids or Protein, but i am having severe hunger pangs. They are bad enough to be recognized as real hunger and not "head" hunger, and have kept me awake for the past couple of nights. Med*fast and Atk*ns shakes have seemed to help alleviate hunger when i was doing these diets in the past, but do they qualify as Clear Liquids?

Oh, and I've lose 8 lbs since surgery, for a total of 15 since my 10-day pre-op diet.Yeah!!!:thumbup:

Please make sure that you're not having acid issues. A LOT of people on here have had "false hunger" triggered by too much acid after surgery (myself included).

Once I got on a PPI, the "hunger" went away and now I NEVER feel hungry (I have to remind myself to eat!)

I am sooo looking forward to mushy foods. Even a glass of milk sounds good right now, but Dr. Aceves is very adamant about following the post-op guidelines, and I'd hate to cause any kind of problems by not following them, but I am having some serious energy level deficiencies (especially with 3 boys under 7) and feeling generally crappy. I sent an e-mail to the dr's office, so i'll post what he says when i get a reply.

Please make sure that you're not having acid issues. A LOT of people on here have had "false hunger" triggered by too much acid after surgery (myself included).

Once I got on a PPI, the "hunger" went away and now I NEVER feel hungry (I have to remind myself to eat!)

I've been taking my daily dose of Nexium that Dr. Aceves sent home with me, so I don't think it's an acid issue.

A glass of milk was and still is very calming to me now and great before I go to bed. Hopefully he will approve it for you : )

I was taking omeprazole before surgery (generic prilosec) and still had the weak and hunger feelings post-op.

coffee, sugar, carbs, can influence your hunger. Also, are you getting all your Protein in, because that reduces your hunger. and of course drinking 64 oz of Water. Best of luck

I've been feeling hungry now and again lately. I think part of it is that I'm PMS'ing.

My doctor told me to EXPECT to feel tired and even fatigued for a few weeks after surgery.

It's quite normal to feel that way. Our bodies are healing and are adjusting to the big change in diet. It's temporary and will pass.

Hi Deb - I hope you can answer my question. My surgery is June 1th. I've gotten some Soup for my clear liquid stage. Does beef broth count as a clear? I can't find it mentioned. Thanks!

While I was on clears I added diet Jello and it saved my life--made all the diff in the world..try it

Hi Deb - I hope you can answer my question. My surgery is June 1th. I've gotten some Soup for my clear liquid stage. Does beef broth count as a clear? I can't find it mentioned. Thanks!

I would consider beef broth a clear.

Also....Pre-op I NEVER drank fruit juice. All that sugar and those carbs !!! Yikes. Post op I felt horrible on clears so added some organic apple juice and organic blueberry juice. The carbs and sugar (no sugar added but the fruit has natural sugar) really helped me feel better. I cut them out again as soon as I was on full liquids.