Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brain Stomach Disconnect?

Here I am three months out and I still have not mentally accepted 100% that most of my stomach has been removed. When I sit down to meals I have to repeatedly remind myself to take it slow and chew. Part of my brain still believes that I can eat like I used to and I have to keep reminding myself that things have dramatically changed.

I am not complaining-I am very happy with the surgery and my weight loss but I am wondering how long it will take before my eyes are not bigger than my stomach?

I can totally relate. Unfortunately, for me at 11 months out, I still have instances where I make myself a fuller plate than what I can consume. It happens far less than it did 5-6 months ago, but it still happens. I have found it happens more when I cook a favorite of mine like chicken/rice casserole.

I still eat off small plates, and out of smaller bowls to help avoid this issue. I find that when I eat out with my family or girlfriends that I still order a full meal thinking "hmm, I can eat that". Nopers, I'm wrong 95% of the time, and bring home leftovers LOL.

I'm with ya, sister. Not only do I still (sometimes) serve up more than I darn well know I can eat, but I have some pretty rough days thinking - ok obsessing - about food. Like yourself, I am delighted with my sleeve but wondering when I'm going to quit thinking like a fat girl...! I posted a few days ago a thread about the same kinda thing titled In Kinda of a Funny Place on the Journey... got some good replies - it's 2 or 3 pages deep if you want to look at it.

Hang in there, we're rockin!!

C

My hubby's to the point where, instead of going for seconds, he waits to see if he has to finish mine first. :ack2:

I was just thinking about this today. I was thinking about what I would order at certain food places (as a way to plan ahead) and kept choosing large meals as if I am going to be able to finish it. Even now when I serve myself the food I can eat for my food phase I serve double portion even if I do not finish it. I think it will take a while to make the connection as you said. Of course I knew before surgery that my stomach would hold very little food but its a lot different when you finally experience it. Its mind blowing.

Tonight, my husband and I went to Denny's. I still have issues with restraurants cause I never know what to order.

Tonight, my husband ordered his dinner and I asked him to include the grilled skewer of shrimp so I could eat it. I kept thinking.....this will never fill me up (6 little shrimp) so I ordered a bowl of chicken noodle Soup too.

Well....6 shrimp DID the trick, and he ended up having to eat the Soup !!!!:001_tongue:

Sleeved 4/7/2010

Dr. Chaisson

Beginning weight: 365

Todays weight: 317:thumbup:

This is so true. My honey refuses to share with me so I have to order my own meal. I have tried to order my own but I continuously get disappointed. I so badly want to go to a buffet...and he just yelled at me and said FOR WHAT!? I just wanted a big variety, but yeah how much of it am I going to eat??

It definitely takes some getting used to! I still look at the portions I put out for myself and think - it's such a small amount, and yet I very rarely manage to finish it all xx