Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why actually is it bad to drink within an hour of eating? Is there a physical danger - ie stomach stretching? Thanks.

Stomach stretching is very unlikely with the sleeve due to the portion of the stomach that remains is very muscular.

If you drink sooner than the prescribed time (I only wait 30 minutes per my surgeon), it can either hurt because the food has taken up all the room, you could actually vomit up the liquid because there isn't any room, or it could go in and liquefy the food essentially pushing through the sleeve faster which may leave you less satisfied, and wanting to eat in between meals.

Also, the food needs to stay in you stomach as long as possible to absorb the Protein and Vitamins, etc. Water flushes the food right through your system. It's very important to NOT drink while you eat, and wait at least 30 minutes minimum.

Sorry, this is misinformation I think. 80% of nutrients are absorbed in the small intestine not the stomach. Did your doctor tell you this?

Sorry, this is misinformation I think. 80% of nutrients are absorbed in the small intestine not the stomach. Did your doctor tell you this?

This is my understanding as well, but the digestion and breaking down of the food definitely starts in the mouth, and is followed through with the stomach, correct?

I thought that it was because liquid would take up space that was needed for food too. I specifically asked my doctor this, and he said no. What he said was that liquid would push food out of the stomach, and I think, but can't remember, it was because that would cause us to eat more.

If this is true and one doesn't eat more, then drinking should be okay. Seems reasonable. But, I haven't been able to find much info about the issue in general. Just that we shouldn't do it.

Tiffykins - yes, chewing begins the process of digestion and stomach acids continue it, but I don't think if a person drinks while eating, that will cause insufficient nutrients to be absorbed. If that was true, I think it would be true whether or not one had surgery.

I thought that it was because liquid would take up space that was needed for food too. I specifically asked my doctor this, and he said no. What he said was that liquid would push food out of the stomach, and I think, but can't remember, it was because that would cause us to eat more.

If this is true and one doesn't eat more, then drinking should be okay. Seems reasonable. But, I haven't been able to find much info about the issue in general. Just that we shouldn't do it.

Tiffykins - yes, chewing begins the process of digestion and stomach acids continue it, but I don't think if a person drinks while eating, that will cause insufficient nutrients to be absorbed. If that was true, I think it would be true whether or not one had surgery.

Pretty much what your doctor said is what my doctor said. I have found that there really isn't room in there for food and liquid. I can take some small sips if I'm eating something spicy, but honestly, it's not like drinking. It's really just a couple of sips essentially just enough liquid to wet my whistle.

I know that I could not drink and eat simultaneously. It's uncomfortable, and I have to get my calories, Protein in so I'll sacrifice the drinking during meals to ensure I get what I need from food.