Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery postponed indefinitely

What a time I've had since arriving in Tennessee to be with family for my surgery. First I had pneumonia, then I twisted my knee (it looks like it will need surgery in the near future), and then I went to Vanderbilt to see my surgeon for my pre-op appt. My surgery was supposed to be June 5th.

They found a bruit in my carotid arteries and recommended I have a doppler ultrasound of the carotid arteries, which I did yesterday. Both arteries are almost completely blocked and they are surprised I haven't had a massive stroke. Needless to say I need surgery soon for this problem, and the banding is in the back burner for now. I have to call Vanderbilt on Tues. and make sure it is cancelled so perhaps they can get someone else in.

I'm totally bummed, but I also know that perhaps finding out here with this physical was the best thing that could happen to me. I live alone and if I had a stoke I don't know when anyone would have found me. God truly works in mysterious ways. I don't know why my cardiologist didn't find this in Idaho, but he didn't, so I doubt it would have been diagnosed.

Thank God for the doctors at Vanderbilt who do a very thorough exam for the lap-banding that they found this. I will be seeing a vascular surgeon next week as Mon. is a holiday and so far I've been asymptomatic.

My kids are wonderfully supportive, and I'm hoping that you, my friends here on lap-band, will send me some prayers that all goes well.

Thanks and God Bless,

Dody

Dody,

I'm glad you got the vascular problem diagnosed and will have it taken care of. The band can wait. The nice thing is, when you finally get the band, you probably won't have any more trouble with arteries getting blocked.

Keep us posted on how things are going. I'll keep you in my prayers!

Dody,

I'm truly sorry to hear of these findings, however, I'm really glad that you were able to find them before subjecting yourself to lapband surgery. Hopefully you can get these far more important items taken care of and be on your way to better health soon! I'll definitely send up a prayer on your behalf! Hugs and good luck to you!

I am so sorry to hear of your health problems. You are right about the physical tho. You are better off finding out about this now rather than later. You get this major problem fixed, then you can get the lap band done. You will be as good as, no, better than new. Hang in there. You know that your lap band family will be sendinggood thoughts your way. I'm in the Knoxville area and will be in Nashville next week-end for my granddaughter's 1st birthday.

For everyone who complains about the extensive pre-op testing, READ THIS!! This is exactly why those tests are done. Dody, I'm so glad the found your condition before something serious happened!! Good luck with your treatment and I hope your banding will be back on track soon.

Whew!!!

You've certainly had a lot of health problems and it's good you found this problem before having lapband surgery. That surgery is not for everyone so it might be a good idea to get all the other problems dealt with before opting for an elective procedure. I certainly hope all goes well with the carotid endarderectomies.

For everyone who complains about the extensive pre-op testing, READ THIS!! This is exactly why those tests are done. Dody, I'm so glad the found your condition before something serious happened!! Good luck with your treatment and I hope your banding will be back on track soon.

Whew!!!

That is exactly what I said to Dody, and why I'm astounded when some people here say their doctor doesn't require testing as a prerequisite to Banding. We wish you well Dody!!

Roberta

I appreciate all of you. You are one great group of people and awesome support. I haven't lost my enthusiasm for getting the band. I just have to resolve some serious issues first. I am very glad they found this problem so that I can have surgery on it before getting the band. Thank you all for the prayers and kind words.

Wow...The band has already potentially saved your life, and you don't have it yet!!!! It's wonderful that this was caught and you can have it corrected. Take care of yourself. Shawn

Yay for you Dody! Well, you were looking for a way to make yourself more healthy and you definitely found it! It just wasn't in the way you had originally planned! Seriously, I'm glad you found out about the problem before it presented itself to you with possibly catastrophic results. I agree with CCBSTX - the lapband probably saved your life and you haven't even had it placed yet!

Good luck with your near-future surgeries and with the lap band when you finally get to get it! Keep in touch so we'll all know how you're doing.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Thank God they did all the pre-surgery testing is all I can say.

Please keep us posted, I can't wait to welcome you to bandland, you certainly deserve it!

(((((HUGS))))

Dody, Sending prayers and best wishes your way. Thankfully you have great family support with you as you go through all these problems.

Hope