Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All Sleevers

Can you post when you had your surgery, how much you wanted to lose and how much you have lost so far. I will move all the stats into this post.

This is my own crude form of research and I think it will help my motivations to see how much people have lost.

Also I read the research that says 5 years out sleevers have lost 45 - 50% of their exccess weight and kept it off. I would love to see a scatter chart on this because does that mean half gained it all back and the rest kept is off, or are the majority in the middle deeping of half the weight they lost, or is ir pretty much all over the place.

This may not answer my questions since I don't think there are too many people 5 years out on the forum, but I still would like to see where everyone is at.

User Name/Date of surgery/Goal Weight Loss/Current Weight Loss:

Tiffykins 6-3-2009 113 122

Thinoneday 12-29-2009 162 32

Deedee 8-4-2009 90 89.5

Judyjudyjudy 12-1-2009 100 37

Edited by txaggiemom
Add Deedee's weight loss

I don't think you could gain back 50% of your lost weight when you have had the vertical sleeve gast and still be getting in your Protein.< /p>

I am 6 days out and down 37 pounds since day started preop diet, and down 14 pounds since surgery 6 days ago. Not good for long term research however. I think after a few years most people don't come to these forums any more. Longest person I know, is 3 years out, not really gained any back, just bouncing around a few pounds on where she is. The sleeve of the past was the first 1/2 of a duodenal switch and they would leave more stomach due to the malabsorption of the re-routing of the duodenal. So if the person never went back and got the second half of the surgery they could eat more than someone having the sleeve.

Good info Loser. This could be why the stats look like they do. Also, congratulations on the 37 pounds since starting your preop diet. That is awesome!

I am just very analytical, but even if you think that 50% of patients with the sleeve gain back their weight it would still be worth it to try when you consider over 90% of dieters gain all their weight back within a year (and 100% of the time that I diet I gain it back within a year).

I'm just hoping I can figure out if people did gain their weight back then why and how can you prevent that. I know you if watch what you eat and exersize you won't gain it back, but if I was very successful at that in the past, I wouldn't be here in the first place.

I schedule my sleeve on Monday and I am very excited about that but I guess I am just looking for more proof that I made the right decision.

Edited by txaggiemom

Sleeve revision on June 3, 2009

Starting weight was - 263lbs

Todays weight - 141lbs

Goal weight was set at 150

I lost 115lbs in about 6.5 months. The last 7-8lbs have come off in the last month and a half to 2 months even though I haven't been trying to lose weight.

Slide 25 in this presentation shows the EWL broken down by BMI. With lower BMI patients (BMI< 55) having the best results 5years out.

http://www.ssat.com/video/2008/SSAT%2049th%20Annual%20Meeting(3)-Cirangle.htm

Hi I was sleeved on Dec 29, 2009 . . . I didn't need to do a pre op diet and after 1 1/2 week out had lost 32 lbs. . . haven't weighed since. . i go to my doctor on Feb 16 for my 1st 1 1/2 month out checkup. . . will post how much i've lost at that time. . . I can tell you right now i don't regret getting this done at all . . . and i feel i picked the right time to do it as well. . . good luck with your surgery, and remember to do alot of walking

Thanks Thinoneday. I am going to post your stats because you have already done amazing. I will update them when you post after your weigh in.

My doctor didn't require a preop diet either. He said it depended on your comorbidities, and I didn't have any. He said a could do low carb if I wanted to so I am going to start that tomorrow.

Thanks Tiifykins and thanks for the video. On that slide broken down by BMI, do you think that was at 4 years out?

In the beginning of the slide show, Dr. Cirangle states it's a study of 1000 patients over a 5 year post-op period. So, I'm assuming the results are for 5 year post-op results.

Well those numbers are very encouraging then because my BMI is 44.5%. You don't know how much better that makes me feel. I am really getting excited that this is actually going to happen and I am going to be able to do this.:biggrin2:

I have lost this weight so many times just to gain it all back and more. I have been dieting since I was 14 and I am now 46. I had pretty much given up.

Hi,

I had my sleeve surgery on 8/4/09, weighing in at 222 lbs. (I did a month long pre-op diet during July losing 16 pounds before surgery).

I never really set a goal initially, just wanted a normal bmi, and fluctuated between wanting to lose 90-100 pounds. In the end I set my goal for a 90 pound loss, which would put me at 148 pounds. As of today I am 0.5 pounds away from this goal, taking me from a bmi of 39.6 to 24.7 today.

Good luck on your research!

JudyJudyJudy

Surgery date Dec. 1st, 2009

Starting weight 235, no preop diet.

Currant weight 198 lbs. I've lost 37 lbs in 68 days. (9 weeks & 5 days)

Thats about 3.5 lbs per week, although I have had stalls.

My goal weight 135 lbs. I hope to make goal in 8 months.