Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marriage Dictionary

Funny how marriage invents new words & phrases that nobody understands but you. I often take it for granted that we speak in tongues, which makes people look at us like, "Huh, what the heck did you two just say?" So I'll share some of our common household words and phrases that have over the years become part of our daily conversations.

The funniest thing is how these words and phrases have come full circle, and I guess I use them often enough that my whole circle of friends talks like this now. I heard a co-worker telling another co-worker to, "Stop acting so damn nibby." Then another co-worker said, "Let's order pizza, I have a hankerin." Those are both my husband's words. Here's more:

Nibby = Old women act nibby (snippity, nervous, uppity) as does my girl Pitbull when she shoves you off the couch or bed since that's where SHE wants to be.

Hankerin' = strong craving that must be dealt with

Poonage = (short for poonage-4-the-noonage) = Tampons

Be-dotes = Anything can be be-dotes. Hug be-dotes, snack-be-dotes. Be-dotes are your "whiskers on kittens."

Snurf = Successfully stealing the last piece of bacon or food that doesn't belong to you

Pinch & squirt = We take our dogs to the park, where they pinch and squirt

Hootie-Hoo = An oral favor given to a man

Strappin on the Feed Bag = dining out

Fine Dining = midway food like corn dogs & meat-on-stick

The thing we get the most mileage out of is: "rattle rattle?" We say this to each other when we think the other one might be mad. Basically it's like are you rattling like a rattle snake right now -- a warning before the vicious attack? It's alot easier and slightly less confrontational than saying what the hell is your problem!?!?!? There are others, but alot less helpful (body part names --- twink & pom poms) or how we call a steak & cheese sub "meat sandwich" b/c my son HATES steak, but loves "meat sandwich". Alot of them only stick around a few weeks, but rattle rattle? has been here since the start!

hee...not a "marriage" term, but when my oldest was learning to talk, he would try to say little bitty and it would come out "habitty" so now, EVERYONE in my family uses this word to represent something that is very small.

It was really hilarious when my dad and 3 grown brothers along with DH were building deer stands a couple of years ago, and DD crawled up in the tree and was doing to arduous stuff. He became irritated at my brothers for handing him the wrong tools, nails, etc. He asked for the little nail, and my brother handed him a small nail, but obviously not the nail that DD wanted. So VERY angrily, DD shouts "The HABITTY ONE DAMMIT!" He was seriously aggitated, and we all fell to the forest floor laughing our not so habitty butts off!

most of the stuff that dh and i say to each other is not fit to post here. Dh and I are very sarcastic, very playful, and very rude....while being very loving. :) its just how we are. I haven't heard of any of the terms you used delarla, except for hankerin. that is very southern. other than that it is basically "don't be such and *^&hole" and "f*^% you" all the time, but only said with the sweetest of smiles.

we have to call english peas...booties...

DD just turned 4 and calls her boobies...booties. and i told her once that eating her veggies will make her booties bigger, and from then on she calls the peas booties.

she also, when she was 2 almost 3 was in the bathroom while i was taking a shower. She peeks around the shower curtain while i have soap on my face and i hear her say "EWWWWWWWWW" real slow and deliberately. i open my eyes to see her pointing at my midsection. i say what, and she says "eww, you got big ol spider in dere mommy!" so from then on, it isnt a coochie, hoohoo, nunu, or hatch, but a spider, and big sometimes hairy, spider.

I've always heard, read, etc. that most successful couples develop their own language, whether it's just a few words or an entire way of communicating. I love it!

FD - DH and I are the same way - completely - I dig it.

My husband and I use "poot" for the anatomy, but also for anything negative. We've used it that way since before we were married. "Quit being a poot." "I don't want to get up early, it's poot." Poot has also become our blame-all, specifically my poot, of course. An example - if I buy myself something to eat, and DH eats it before I can & knows he shouldn't have, I'll ask him, "Where did <whatever> go?" his answer (if he's eaten it, and knows he shouldn't have) is "It's in your poot!" With his accent it comes out more like "pewt" and it cracks me up every time.

We've also developed a sort of second language, based mostly on the way he would pronounce things when his accent was still heavy (he's sadly lost 99% of it now). He would tend to drop letters, or it would sound like he was saying them in the wrong place, so our little language (that we only speak to each other) would probably sound a lot like baby talk to anyone else who heard it & didn't know it came from English not being his native language. For example, he had a hard time saying "elephant" and it would come out like "ephelant" - so that's what we'll call it. Dropped letters like "fip" for "flip" or "scoo" for "school". One time he said something about "orange juice" but with his accent it sounded like "arm snooze", so now that's what we call it, and all other "snoozes" too... so combine the dropped letters & the mispronounced words and we then get "appa snooze" instead of "apple juice" or "peetz snooze" for "peach juice". We can have entire conversations talking that way.

I had a friend whose little girl called her boobies "She-She's". My husband also calls me boobbala. It's taken from the yiddish "bubby" (grandmother) otherwise a term of endearment. Also, here in the south we say "fixin" a lot. I'm fixin to go to the store and so fourth. LOL

My husband calls......having sex........ poka-poka

In an effort to curb me and my DH's construction mouths

What the Hey-Dog?

I use the word FREAK ALOT

At an early age my son had his own lingo, that we still use almost daily

Shoo-shoo = poop

diary = diarhea

Parted = when you part you pass gas

My husband ratholes stuff. He ratholes wads of play cash, the last candy bar, his favorite Harley shirts so I can't find them, etc. I never know what's ratholed till he whips it out. I rathole fun pain pills and Platinum credit cards that he doesn't know about till I tease him with it!

when ever it is TOM for me DH and I say i am "broken". he calls me dork. i call him ass. WELL HE IS! lol

dork is a huge term of endearment in our household. i find myself calling my friends that and some get offended till i explain.

when dh is feeling frisky he drops the dork and starts calling me chica.

when our son was born my daughter was starting to speak. She could not say Andy let alone Anderson, do she called him dee-dee. we still slip and call him that from time to time. I also call him little butt cause when he is runnin around nekkid he clenches his but and it looks so tiny.

i keep thinking of more, so i will be back with more. lol

We dont have a spoken language.. its all secret touches. I grab his arm and squeeze three times if i want to leave some place. We also have the "pat system". You pat the other person on the leg or back and it means stuff. We have condencending pats, for when you are acting stupid. Love pats when you are in the mood; "look at that over there pats" for when you see someone dressed in something stupid. happy pats, sad pats, pats that say "im mad", pats that say,"WTF".

What can I say? We are odd.

Oh we also have this thing where we do this eyebrow thing then look to the nearest exit when we want to leave and have a little "private time" :)

oh, and dh's hooha is named Thranduil. Mine is called the woodland realm. Not many people will get this...but those that do will understand. :)

I hope that's a LOTR reference, not a World of Warcraft reference. Im a WOW widow.

Stupid online game.