Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Houston area sleevers?

Hi sleevers!

Are any of you from the Houston area? I am still pre-op and would love to talk to someone from my area who has had the VSG. I was considering the band, but I am now wanting to get the sleeve.

I am 46, BMI 33, type 1 diabetes, HBP, hypothyroid, high cholesterol. OK, I am more than just those things! I am also artsy-fartsy, love beads, cooking, and dogs.

I would appreciate hearing some first-hand experiences!:(

Ren?

I'm not from Houston, but wanted to welcome you to VST. I'm originally from the D/FW area in TX. There are a couple of members from the Houston area Shanda and Alegna are the first 2 that come to mind. You can click on Member list at the top of the forum, and find them in alphabetical order.

I'm a band to sleeve revision, and absolutely love the sleeve. It's been a wonderful journey.

If you have any specific questions or concerns, ask away. We're all here for you ! ! !

Hi sleevers!

Are any of you from the Houston area? I am still pre-op and would love to talk to someone from my area who has had the VSG. I was considering the band, but I am now wanting to get the sleeve.

I am 46, BMI 33, type 1 diabetes, HBP, hypothyroid, high cholesterol. OK, I am more than just those things! I am also artsy-fartsy, love beads, cooking, and dogs.

I would appreciate hearing some first-hand experiences!:(

Ren?

Welcome to the site, as Tiffykins stated I am from Houston and had my sleeve surgery here at home. I was sleeved on 9/15/09 and i've lost about 44 lbs in 2 months. My surgeon is Dr Alanis and he was great, I had a great experience. My post experience was uneventful, it has taken me awhile to get use to surviving off so little. Now I have to get use to people telling me "how skinny" im getting, lol.

If you would like more specific questions or just dont feel comfortable saying things on the public forum, send me a private message on here. I am usually on here at least one time per day.

But I would like to reiterate, getting sleeved was the best decision ever! food does not control my life anymore! Im not hungry all the time, in fact, I have to "remember" to eat! Its a liberating feeling! If you are on the fence about it or nervous, thats okay, those are normal feelings! However, it will be one of the best things that you could ever do for yourself, TRUST ME! Now men are flirting away (on my bad hair days)! Its funny, people that dont know you only see weight, which is sad! I started out in a tight XL/1X scrub set.....now im in a MEDIUM, yes, I said MEDIUM, in only two months! Woo-hoo!

As I stated earlier, dont hesitate to contact me, So many people have helped me on this journey and I would love to "buddy" up with you for support during preop especially since we live so close!

Welcome to VST Rene - and I love your avatar -- I'm guessing since you're artsy-fartsy they are beads - love the colors.

Congrats on your decision to get the sleeve - you'll love all the changes that will be coming into your life (after the initial post-op diet anyway)

Thank you, Tiffy, Shonda, and Vegas. I already feel welcomed! I really appreciate the way you all are willing to share your personal experiences. I think this is the best place to get info and support. I look forward to being an active member! :thumbup1: Ren?

Late to post but yes I am in Houston! Actually, I am real close to Tomball! Shanda and I have the same surgeon, Dr. Alanis. He's great. I was looking into the band originally for about 2 years but decided that wasn't a route I wanted to take for a few reasons. I love cooking as well and if this was a perfect world, I would be making purses and clothes for a living! So, if you have any questions please post or pm, Shanda is on here a bit more then me but I will get back to you! Take Care!

Hello Renebeau,

I live in spring and am just beginning this process. I'm still a little on the fence between the sleeve and the band but it's tipping over towards that sleeve. I wish you nothing but the best in your procedures and results and would love to keep in contact with you. I've had 2 consults w/Dr. Wilkenson and Dr. Spiegel. I may go to Dr Alanis. Again, keep in touch.

Celeste

Hello Renebeau,

I live in spring and am just beginning this process. I'm still a little on the fence between the sleeve and the band but it's tipping over towards that sleeve. I wish you nothing but the best in your procedures and results and would love to keep in contact with you. I've had 2 consults w/Dr. Wilkenson and Dr. Spiegel. I may go to Dr Alanis. Again, keep in touch.

Celeste

Celeste ~

I think I know you! Please consider a meeting with Dr. Alanis you will not be disappointed at all. Keep us posted!

Celeste ~

I think I know you! Please consider a meeting with Dr. Alanis you will not be disappointed at all. Keep us posted!

Good seeing you on here again Alegna, I have been kinda MIA myself-im back in school and it just never seems to be enough time in a day!

Yes to all of those on here that are going to be sleeved, you wont be dissappointed! I am a little over 3 months now and you can look @ my ticker to see how well i've done. I would def. chose this over the band. All I can say is do your research. Dont be afraid of the "stomach removal" part. Our stomachs do not have to be as large as they are for any reason, we can lead normal healthy lives with a tiny stomach!

Im loving my sleeve and the results!

Everyone have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

My goodness....God bless you Shanda and congrats!

Hey Angela, it's me. I got your email, thanks it was the kind of information I'm looking for. I did look up Dr. Alanis, he accepts BCBS but w/my insurance the procedure has to be done at a "bariatric center of excellence" and there are only 3 in the area (Hou NW, Methodist and Memorial Hermann. I called his office to find out for sure but per the BCBS site, he doesn't operate in any those 3 but the person that answered the phone said he will operate out of Memorial SW, but the wife will call me back. Thanks again!!

Edited by warriors_journey

Hey there!

I am thinking about getting the sleeve with Dr. St. Laurant also. I have my surgery date set for January 12th, but would love to talk with more of his patients about what to expect. I got the band a little over 2 years ago and hate it!

I want to make sure that I am doing the right thing this time. Would it be possible to talk with you? I can send you a PM with my info if that works for you.

Appreciate any help I can get!

Sharon