Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

popcorn

I'm concerned after reading a post on another forum about eating popcorn post-op. I'm 6.5 weeks out & I've had popcorn on several occassions (including yesterday). I honestly never thought about it not being good for me or possibly getting stuck in my staple line.

Should I be concerned at this point? Would I be having trouble if something was wrong. Now I'm worrying about it! :)

It's my understanding that once you start on solid foods you are supposed to be able to eat anything you would have before, just less of it -- that we have a fully functional stomach, just a smaller one than before. So seems to me that you should be allowed to eat popcorn at 6.5 weeks as you are on solids. I am not an expert or a doctor, but it also seems to me that if you were going to have problems, you would have had them by now.

Quit worrying - quit borrowing trouble - worrying is just wasted energy - worrying changes nothing -- spend your energy on something positive!

:) I confess...I'm a chronic worrier! I can't help myself. My dh says I search for things to worry about. Perhaps he is right.

Vegas, thanks. I thought the same thing...once on solids I should be able to eat whatever I can tolerate. That's why I didn't give it a second thought. I've emailed Gaby to be sure, though. :)

Okay, now what can I worry about? :lol0:

so you emailed Gaby to be sure - but you didn't give it a second thought huh? :)

Seriously Jenn - what good does worrying do - does it change anything? It only makes you miserable from the worry - and those around you suffer as well. The best piece of advice I was given, years ago - and I remember this when I start to regress is: "DON'T WORRY ABOUT THOSE THINGS WHICH YOU CAN NOT CONTROL" (Yes, you can control eating popcorn; however, you worry about things that you can't control or change - so why worry about them?)

Vegas, you sound very much like my dh. He is a person that never worries and he can't understand why I worry so much about anything & everything. Then again, I don't understand why I do either! I struggle everyday with giving my cares to the Lord. I have gotten better through the years, but it is still a part of my Christian life that I struggle with.

As far as emailing Gaby, I emailed her after I read the thread about popcorn. I never thought about it before or while eating it. I emailed her today asking if it was to be avoided. :) I'll let you all know her response.

I've atleast let the popcorn worry pass. :) Right now I'm worrying about taking all of the kids to the library this afternoon! I'm mainly worried about my 2 year old. He's always loud in there! :lol0:

It's easy for someone to tell you not to worry. When you have been raised by someone who taught you to worry, it's not an easy habit to break. I have to work on it all the time. When I catch myself worrying, I try to put my mind somewhere else.

Update: Gaby emailed back & said I should not worry about it. It's not true that it can get stuck in the staple line & cause problems. So, I guess I can officially stop worrying about it now! :)

Good to know. I eat popcorn. I am glad when I am at the movies, the sleeve won't let me eat as much as I used to.

POPCORN!!

I went to a movie the other day, HAD popcorn. Could not eat much however a 'childs' bag was perfect splitting it with my grandson (4). Passed with NO worries....

WHAT would a movie be without popcorn.

Glad it is ok to eat----LOL

I'm glad it's okay to eat, too. We keep it in the house b/c I think it's a prefect snack for the kids. And it smells so good popping that it's hard to resist!

Have you guys tried Jolly Time 100 Calorie Healthy Pop Kettle Corn? It is my absolute favorite, and guilt free! It's endorsed by Weight Watchers and is only 1 point for an entire bag. They come in slightly smaller bags than regular microwave popcorn. Also, it's kettle corn, so it has just a touch of Splenda sweetness.

Vegas, you sound very much like my dh. He is a person that never worries and he can't understand why I worry so much about anything & everything. Then again, I don't understand why I do either! I struggle everyday with giving my cares to the Lord. I have gotten better through the years, but it is still a part of my Christian life that I struggle with.

As far as emailing Gaby, I emailed her after I read the thread about popcorn. I never thought about it before or while eating it. I emailed her today asking if it was to be avoided. :001_rolleyes: I'll let you all know her response.

I've atleast let the popcorn worry pass. :biggrin2: Right now I'm worrying about taking all of the kids to the library this afternoon! I'm mainly worried about my 2 year old. He's always loud in there! :tongue2:

Now - taking several youngsters to the library is something I would worry about -- especially a 2 year old ... and it's not that DON'T ever worry -- I just don't worry about every little thing -- don't sweat the small stuff!

It's easy for someone to tell you not to worry. When you have been raised by someone who taught you to worry, it's not an easy habit to break. I have to work on it all the time. When I catch myself worrying, I try to put my mind somewhere else.

It's a habit that takes years to break Daisy -- I used to worry about everything - would I wake up in the morning, would I make it to work without having an accident, etc., etc., etc. I was raised in a "worrying" environment, so I don't say it lightly when I say "Don't worry." It took years to break the habit and that is all it is a habit ... you can break it if you choose too. It's good that you are becoming more aware of it and trying to change ... life is just too damn short to be a chronic worrier.

I have a quote I found that I believe to be so true -- and it is:

I believe that our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are; however, WE are responsible for the person we become.

Trust me, my childhood was not all that great and I could blame everything on my childhood; however, I have chosen to become responsible for the type of person I am today.

I'm a compulsive worrier and I hate it! I agree with VA that it just does you no good at all but if you are that way then what can you do? I worry about everything and cannot relax until it is resolved which in some ways good in that I take action immediately as I know that I will only sit fretting otherwise and making myself ill. I get it from my parents and it is truly a burden. My husband is the complete opposite and if he was anymore laid back he would be dead...and it irritates me to Hell that he can sit and not worry about anything. So I do it for him lol! For a lot of things though it just does you no good and it's best to just try to chill out. Most things resolve themselves eventually...

Have you guys tried Jolly Time 100 Calorie Healthy Pop Kettle Corn? It is my absolute favorite, and guilt free! It's endorsed by Weight Watchers and is only 1 point for an entire bag. They come in slightly smaller bags than regular microwave popcorn. Also, it's kettle corn, so it has just a touch of Splenda sweetness.
I love this stuff. I'd forgotten about it (at it all the time pre-op) and now that I'm 6 weeks out, I'm going to pack some in my lunch bag tomorrow!!!

I am sure it's some kind of chemical imbalance in my brain. When I was on Paxil

for general anxiety disorder, it really helped. The only problem is one of the side effects was it can make you sweat. I couldn't take it anymore. I was dripping wet all the time. My face was dripping like I was standing in the shower and it was way too annoying.

All those SSRI's give me some weird side effect.