Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As an "always overweight" person, I am wondering if others finally decided to pursue WLS for some of the same reasons I have. I'm in the research phase but know I want a Sleeve, and will have one by the end of the year. Why did I not do this before I hit 60?

Well, I did not like the possible side effects from the options that were available (before the VSG). I was functioning "well", could do most of the things I wanted to do, until the past two years when I gained 20 more pounds. That put me over the top...130 lbs overweiight.

Now I can't tolerate gardening for more than 10 minutes I get so fatigued. Used to be able to walk a mile or two but no more...winded and tired. Used to be able to fly without a seatbelt extender...but not any more. Used to easily put on shoes...but it is hard to bend over and reach those feet now. Try doing toenail care when you can hardly reach them! We won't mention personal hygeine challenges!:eek::D

Used to at least be able to find 2x or 3x clothes that were not tight...not any more. If the pickings are sparse in the 2x and 3x range, guess what's available above that?

:angry: Right! Visiting friends, or going to public places, sometimes furniture does not admit my hips! How embarrasing! :blush:

High blood pressure started 10 years ago. Recently legs began to swell a little. Reflux popped up! Gall Stones had to come out! Knees hurt from bearing the burden. Want to know how it feels to be a martian at night? Don a cpap machine!:001_cool: Every trip you take, the cpap has to be lugged along...can't go camping unless there is electricity to keep the lungs aerated! What a drag! Just makes you want to :svengo:

Now that I have gotten my gripes out, I must say how grateful I am to have discovered the VSG option. Even though my insurance won't pay for it, I am going to invest in my future...ensure my future!!!...by getting this done. The reseach is very encouraging, there is minimal risk compared to older methods of WLS, and thanks to this and other forums, I know where I can find an experienced and affordable surgeon in Mexico!

On top of that, the wonderful community here is such a support. i can't wait to see the new me on the other side of the work ahead.

Sooo..what about you?

Hi Cajun! I wanted to pop in and welcome you to our forums. I think it is great that you are getting the VSG. You are still quite young and have a lot of years left ahead of you, even more now! I say go for it, grab life and live it to its fullest.

Ruthi,

Yes, it's a double whammy!

My ticker (once I find one) will look like yours. Starting at 180 and goal is 140-150.

Looks like you are doing great. Keep on keeping on!

oops...I meant to say my ticker will be starting at 280, not 180.

Hi Cajun. I just joined this forum yesterday and it looks like you have been here for a while.

I have fought the weight battle my whole life, literally. I cannot remember a time when weight and food did not control my life. My lowest weight as an adult was 128 (I was underweight for 2 days!!!!) and my highest was 303 (sometime within the last year and a half). I have a cousin who had RNY several years ago, and he is still overweight...I don't know why because we have never really discussed it. I am a registered nurse and have taken care of several patients with complications from RNY and banding, and I knew that would never be a option for me. I am miserable and just supposed that is the way the rest of my life would be with hypertension, knee pain, diabetes (newly diagnosed), c-pap, etc, etc, etc. And my 33-year-old daughter (nurse_ally in the forum) was heading that direction.

Here we go...I guess Allison (nurse_ally) must have been researching this for some time, but one day she told me she was getting sleeved. I had already heard of this from a coworker who was thrilled with the results, but that is as far as it went. I questioned her about the procedure, talked about the expense and that is when she told me she was going to Mexico to have it done. My response...HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!

We spent many hours discussing her research and I went through the process with her of deciding which surgeon, location and so forth. With the feeling that she had done her research well, I jumped on board for her to go ahead. She was sleeved by Dr. Aceves on 7-1-10, is back home and doing well at this point, and I am scheduled to be sleeved by Dr. Aceves on 8-12-10. So there you go!!!

For her my thoughts are that I don't want her to live the life I have lived if there is any possible way to avoid it. My weight has controlled everything I have ever done, and I have missed out on a lot of fun times because I was too big to participate or just flat didn't feel like it. She is a remarkable young woman with the responsibility of two awesome children, and she needs to be released from Fat Prison.

For me my thoughts are if there is even a chance that I may get rid of the extra person I have been carrying around on my back for the last 20 years, I'm there!!!

That's my story in a nutshell. I could go on and on, but those of us in this boat don't need all the details...you have already lived it.

So Cajun and all the rest of you smart, savvy sixty-somethings...LET'S GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD!!

Kathe:thumbup:

I had my surgery 3.5 months ago at 51. Why now? Partly because I was and am sick. and. tired. of letting my weight issues control every waking moment. Partly because I went back to school and stopped making a second job out of dieting and exercise, and promptly put on 20 pounds in 3 months -- so I could see that unless I did something drastic I was going to have to live my live all about diet and exercise, or resign myself to getting fatter and fatter. And partly because I discovered the VSG was available and grabbed it like a drowning person grabs a life preserver.

It's never too late! Welcome aboard!

Hi. I have been reading the board for 4 weeks and just now posting. I wanted weight loss surgery for years but insurance will not pay and didn't have the Money. Finally had the Money and opted for the sleeve due to fewer possible complications than bypass. I'm 62 will be 63 this fall. Luckily only comorbidity is bad osteoartritis but so hard to get around now. Felt like all I could do was work so went ahead with it.

Had surgery June 29 and so far doing great. Dr very pleased. Told me in hospital he had patients 20 years younger who had rougher time. Only rough day really the day of surgery. It gets better so quickly I was amazed.

Edited by Roseib