Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery date was July 8th and since I've been home from work all I've been able to do is watch food network......Did anyone else experience this? On a side note I've also seem to be obsessed with the scale...(I use to hate to step on it!) now all I want to do is see weight loss. What kind of rate should I see the weight loss?

Highest: 284 Surgery:256 Current:243

Hi and welcome to our forums! We are glad you found us and joined our new and growing community.

I love the food Network normally, but made a point of avoiding it at all costs while on the post-op diet. I know I couldn't have handled that.

It is normal to be obsessed with the scale, especially right in the beginning. I was weighing myself every day. Now, since we moved and my scale is not as easily accessible, I weigh once a week.

Your rate of loss is hard to predict. It is different with everyone. I lost a pound a day the first month. I had a plateau for several weeks and am now averaging anywhere from 1-3 pounds a week.

Susan;

Funny you should mention food network. I was thinking about that today, about what a consumptive society we are, and how that contributes to the obesity epidemic. It's amazing how much of our culture is centered around food, and there are people who are ADDICTED to the Food Network. I wonder what kind of influence it has on their eating habits.

I enjoy the food network, actually. It's one of the only things I watch on regular basis. Some of it is kind of stupid, but there are some very interesting programs as well.

Ever watch Paula Deen? My family calls her the "heart attack lady". I have never seen someone who puts butter into EVERYTHING the way she does. If I ate like she cooks, I'd be 900 pounds in a month.

HH

I know, Paula's dishes look so yummy, but they also look like a heart attack waiting to happen. I am surprised she doesn't weigh 900 pounds!

Paula Deen ROCKS!!

She is adorable, but she does like her butter!

What can I say, my mom cooked just like that, as a matter of fact a lot of the recipes she has are things I grew up cooking..

Maybe that explains why I need to have surgery now..

I do not watch the food network, it makes me hungry.. my 15 year old loves to watch it, but he does so in his bedroom when I'm at home.

He loves to cook. Takes after my brothers, all 5 of them can outcook us three girls..

I was addicted to food Network during my 2.5 week recovery at home alone. I love, love, love Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, Iron Chef America, all of them, Throwdown with Bobby Flay. I thought it was insane considering I was going to be on clears for 18 days.

My other obsession was (and still is) The Golden Girls.

I still weigh everyday, sometimes twice a day. I am a little obsessed with the scale, and don't see that changing any time soon. I was hospitalized last week and gained 30lbs of Water weight from all the fluids. I was livid, but I was so grateful when I went for a follow up today and had lost all the Water weight.

Your 15 year old sounds like my 18 year old son. He loves to cook as well and you can hardly keep him out of the kitchen. He loves to eat too, but is so skinny a good wind will blow him away.

Thanks.....I've made a decision to try and stop watching it, because I'm starting to think the reason I've been watching it so often is because I'm grieving food (I don't know if you can actually do that), but I refuse to grieve over something that was killing me. And YES Paula Dean is the worst!!! Everything she makes I love, but I just keep reminding myself that her figure is not the one I want anymore.

Oh, absolutely one can grieve/mourn the loss of food. For many of us, it was our main means of self comfort. If we were happy, mad, scared, etc., we turned to food. Now, food is no longer going to be the main focus in our life. We worry there are things we will never be able to eat again. However, I have learned that there is nothing I can't eat with the sleeve, I just have to eat it in smaller quantities than what I used to. At first, I even found myself getting annoyed because something tasted so good and I just wanted more but my new tummy refused to allow me that luxury. Then, I finally realized that is why I got fat to begin with. Now, I just remind myself this isn't like it is the last time I will ever be able to have this food, I can have it again tomorrow if I want. I just can't have anymore of it right now, because I have reached my limit.

I agree we can definitely grieve the loss of our love for food. It is like any addict who grieves over having to give up their fix for their drug of choice. A very normal response and a necessary one for us. I still watch the food network and like all of the same shows that tiffykins does. My daughter is a chef and a very good one so it became a natural thing for us to watch together. Her suggestion is to watch them create their great recipes and try to figure out a way to do the same thing in a healthier way. She is really good at it and I am learning alot from her. She is a natural talent when it comes to cooking. She takes after her grandmothers.

I am currently watching the food Network. And I hate to cook! Nothing has really tempted me, though. I just enjoy watching people do things in the kitchen that I can't do...not because of my surgery, just because cooking stresses me out! HAHAH!

I love watching that dives, drive-thrus and diner show. Some of the stuff that guy eats just amazes me!

I love watching that dives, drive-thrus and diner show. Some of the stuff that guy eats just amazes me!

I like that show.

One day, I would LOVE to buy an old corvette, and drive all over America, visiting Diners and coffee shops all along the way, and Photographing them. I know others have done that, and It just sounds like real fun.

Of course, I wouldn't be able to EAT much at any of them, but it would be fun to visit them and meet the people tat hang out at these places.

There is a section of the old route 66 in Oatman, Arizona, that I've driven, and there is an old diner that is built into an old Gas Station from the 30's or 40's. I love that place. It's an old Mining town, and Wild burros wander through the town. People feed them carrots....the Burros actually go in and out of shops.....quite a place.....!!

HH

I've been to Oatman - it's an interesting place - fun too - wild west show and lots of interesting shops.

It sounds like a pretty cool place. Hubby and I hope when we retire to be able to just take off across America in an RV and explore all the cool little towns and stuff like that.