Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lettuce rejoice!

LOL okay okay I know it's corny...Let us rejoice...Lettuce rejoice...

Anyhoo, I wanted to know how many of us can handle lettuce?

I had a Greek salad today and I felt like I should have ordered like this, Can I have a Greek salad minus the lettuce? Cause I got really choked up and was very near a pb I could feel the golf ball but it finally went down.

I can eat lettuce.I have tried only romaine lettuce and spinach as addtions to my salads. If I make it at home I shredd the lettuce like for a hoagie or coleslaw and than chop it into small pieces as well as the meat ,cheese and eggs etc.It's kinda mushie in a way but easier to chew and digest for me.

I'm unfilled and can eat ANYTHING. Sigh! I am hoping that changes next Thursday when I FINALLY get my first fill.

I can do lettuce also. Makes it nice when I have to go out to lunch for work. I always suggest mexican and then order taco salad/tostada, etc.

I had raw celery last night for the first time in a year. I was never a big fan of celery, but OMG was it ever good.

I do better if the lettuce is really crunchy, because it's easier to chew that down, but you might do better if you order a chopped salad. Then it already starts pretty small and then you chew it up even smaller. :)

I have a hard time with lettuce sometimes I tolerate it sometime its awful. I wish I could tolerate easier because it is low in calories and I could mix it with the Proteins go figure what i lived on pre band to lose weight now I can't even have it.

I avoided lettuce since moving to the solid food stage because I read lots of people having problems with it.

I went to Olive Garden with my family and then couldn't resist trying the salad. I was careful for the first few bites and when it went down with no problem I was SSOOOOOOO happy. I didn't realize how much I was missing salad.

I've had salad several times since then and I never have a problem with it.

I hope I can still eat it after getting a fill.

I had salad for the first time since banding last week at the airport. I stuk to the crunchier pieces - didn't want to end up PBing and missing my flight! I had no problems, and I really missed salads. Pre-op I'd eat a salad every day at lunch, and usually at dinner too. I've also tried spinach - cooked - no problems.

Lettuce was one of the things I figured I'd have to give up. It seems like THE most likely thing to get stuck.

salad is a very easy food for me and I love, love, love it! I just went to Ruby Tuesday's on Monday and had the salad bar. Filled my plate with crunchy yummy fresh veggies, pickles, hot peppers, and then tiny sprinkles of bacon bits, sesame sticks, raisins, three bean salad (I mean, teeny tiny 1/4 teaspoons of these high calorie things adding up to maybe a teaspoon all together; just for flavor) and topped it all off with low-fat dressing, salt and pepper. YUMMMMMM!!! SOOO good and so healthful! It's one of my favorite foods.

Hello All,

I am so excited to read about salad! My husband got on me so bad the other night because I put a piece of lettuce on my plate and I have only been banded for 2 months. My doctor suggested no salad for the first 6 months, but I did have a small salad yesterday and it went down just fine!! My problem is that EVERYTHING is going down fine and I have gained and relost the same 3lbs over the past 3 weeks. I started out doing well until I got to eat real food. Salad is my ultimate favorite lunch meal and without being allowed to eat it, I have been eating other things that arn't so good for me. I do work out 4 times a week (1 hour cardio) so I am hoping that I have created muscle weight. :) It just worries me that I have had no problem eating. Nothing makes me sick, nothing gets caught, it all goes down well. I don't have my first fill until June 13th. Is this normal?? Normal...meaning to be able to eat more than 2-4 oz of food. My starting weight was 282 and I am now at 241. I did loose 17 of those pounds before surgery.

Thanks for reading!! Oh.......how is everyone with straws?? Are you allowed to drink from them? What has your doctor said about it???

Jen:faint:

Jenn,

Don't worry about what you *can* eat right now. With an unfilled band, it's likely to be darn near everything. You should be able to get a fill in a few weeks right?

My doctor said no straws while I was on liquids after surgery. After that, it was basically, "if it works, go for it".

Some people swallow extra air when they drink with a straw, which can cause issues, but personally, I find I gulp less air when I use a straw, so I use one all the time. :)

Sarah....

Thanks for the info!! This was my first response and I really like the fact that I can talk to others about this surgery. I only know 1 person who has had and she I am sure is sick of me asking so many questions, so I am so excited to have found out about this website!!