Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Year Old Gets Bariatric Surgery

I'm sorry, but this is absolutely insane. I cannot believe anyone would think it's ok to perform bariatric surgery on what is essentially still a baby. My heart breaks for this little boy. He's had 80% of his stomach removed by no choice of his own and now he will have to live with the consequences forever.

--------------------------------------

A MORBIDLY obese two-year-old has become the youngest person in the world to undergo bariatric surgery.

The parents of the toddler from Saudi Arabia who weighed 33kg and had a sleep apnoea that caused him to stop breathing while asleep.

Two attempts to control his weight by dieting failed said the medics who carried out the food intake, leaving a sleeve of stomach, roughly the size and shape of a banana.< /span>

Unlike a lap band, the surgery is not reversible.

"To our knowledge LSG has never been tried in very young age children," the surgeons say in their report. "We present here probably the first case report of the successful management of a two year old morbidly obese boy."

Within two months the boy lost 15 per cent of his body weight and two years after the 2010 surgery his weight had fallen from 33kg to 24kg and his BMI of 24 was within the normal range.

Obesity expert adjunct professor Paul Zimmett from the Vitamin deficiencies."

In Australia bariatric surgery is not recommended in children aged under 14.

Professor Zimmet said there was definitely a place for the surgery in older age groups.

"There is a lot of evidence now it is almost a better treatment for type 2 diabetes than some drugs," he said. "We should not let this episode prejudice our views on bariatric surgery."

In a separate case, Indian doctors are reporting that they performed bariatric surgery on a four-year-old boy.

The child, who weighed 44.5kg, was consuming 1,400 calories a day as a result of a rare genetic disorder - Prader Willi Syndrome - that made him hungry.

original article: http://www.news.com....r-1226723023662

This is my favorite quote: "The doctors from Prince Sultan Military Medical City at Riyadh were unable to ascertain whether the child's parents stuck to the diet."

So let's see here... child goes on diet. Child gains weight. Noone cares to investigate if extrinsic factors like the actual diet the child is receiving is the issue. So let's just cut em up lol. And let's carry this logic forward, if the parents were indeed noncompliant, what convinced the surgeons they'd be compliant with an even more intensive diet?

This is why child obesity is being labeled abusive. I'm not talking baby fat and extra pounds, but down right morbid obesity in young children.

I can understand if the procedure is to save his life (for example the kid with the Prader Willi Syndrome) but this doesn't appear to be the case. Parents make medical decisions starting with neonates. The goal is to save their lives and give them the best quality of life. But when the parent is the cause of their medical issues, it's just time to remove the child period.

yeah i real that earlier on daily mail uk..unreal

totally unreal.....i cant comment on my true thoughts

on whom i feel is 100% responsible...

as i am totally disgusted

This is my favorite quote: "The doctors from Prince Sultan Military Medical City at Riyadh were unable to ascertain whether the child's parents stuck to the diet."

So let's see here... child goes on diet. Child gains weight. Noone cares to investigate if extrinsic factors like the actual diet the child is receiving is the issue. So let's just cut em up lol. And let's carry this logic forward, if the parents were indeed noncompliant, what convinced the surgeons they'd be compliant with an even more intensive diet?

This is why child obesity is being labeled abusive. I'm not talking baby fat and extra pounds, but down right morbid obesity in young children.

I can understand if the procedure is to save his life (for example the kid with the Prader Willi Syndrome) but this doesn't appear to be the case. Parents make medical decisions starting with neonates. The goal is to save their lives and give them the best quality of life. But when the parent is the cause of their medical issues, it's just time to remove the child period.

See and that is what blows my mind. He's a 2 year old. What and how much this child eats is 100% up to the parents. It's not like this is a 10 year old capable of sneaking food or getting their own Snacks. This is a toddler who completely relies on his parents' care. There is ZERO reason putting the child on a healthy diet shouldn't have worked- it's the parents who have failed this child miserably.

No. Words. =(

​Being the mother of a son who was obese since he was very young, I feel for the parents. My son learned to climb the counters at 2 years old and sneak. We did every diet, went to a top child obesity doctor etc. Nothing helped. When he went to college at 17 he was over 400 lbs.(Went to school for cooking) He now at age 35 dieting on his own. He is a cook/caterer.

My 38 year old son was always under weight, same parents, same house.

No, I would never do surgery on anyone under 18-25.

I have seen on the Maury show obese toddlers taken from the parents.

Very sad.

The child probably got to a point where a reduction of food just left him hungrier why he gained17 lbs , sad and scary, that in the future this is whats going to happen to the kids here in the USA, and who's going to pay for surgeries?