Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here -- So many questions / concerns

Hi everyone,

First I'd like to say how happy I am to have found this forum. I just turned 50 and for more than 35 years I've been obese. There is not a day that goes by in which I don't think about diet, food and body issues.

I had considered both gastric bypass surgery and the lapband surgery. And I think lapband would be easier in the long run.

I have a lot of fears running rampant in my mind. Death, complications, emotional issues and of all things - hair loss. I've noticed that Hair loss seems to happen to a lot of patients. I'm really not that vain, but of all things I take pride in - my hair is probably the only physical attribute that I like about myself. I hope that doesn't sound too shallow.

How did you all finally make the decision to do the lapband? Are you happy you did it? Do you have any regrets? Would you go back and do anything differently?

I look forward to reading through all of these posts -- and hope I can hear *your* thoughts. Thanks for listening.

Welcome!

hair loss can be an issue after any surgery. It's a nasty side effect of anesthetic. As far as weight loss related Hair loss, it's far less with the Band because there's no malabsorbtion issues like Gastric Bypass has. Your best bet is to eat healthy and get lots of Protein. I get a minimum of 60g Protein daily and take 5000mcg of Biotin daily and have no hair loss issues.

As for my decision to get the Band, I was actually originally scheduled for Gastric Bypass. I weighed over 400 pounds with a BMI of 72. I was told I'd never lose enough with the Band and that Gastric Bypass was my only option. At the last minute, I canceled the surgery. I just couldn't go through with it. I simply couldn't logically justify re-routing my healthy digestive system without trying something far less drastic and reversible first. I also didn't want to deal with dumping or malabsorbtion issues.

I then found a new surgeon and got the Lap Band. In the 19 months since I've had my Band, I've lost 227 pounds and I'm still losing. I couldn't be more thrilled with the band. I have zero regrets. The only thing I'd do differently is getting it a lot sooner.

Best wishes with whichever you decide is best for you.

1. The hair grows back
  2. We all were scared
  3. So happy and never a regret!
  4. You can do it if you want it bad enough.
  5. It is hard work like anything worth having!

I'm actually in the throes of Hair loss right now but like Missy, I've upped my Protein, am taking Biotin and Iron and hoping for a reversal as has been promised to me. While hair loss is not fun, neither is being overweight or obese. I've lost 82 lbs. since the beginning of January and I love that. I'm wearing sizes I haven't worn in over 10 years and I'm experiencing 'normal' again. You know.... fitting into a booth in a restaurant, or a plane seat. All those things we got too heavy to do but can now do again...what a great feeling. good luck!.

I lost weight at a fast pace and had Hair loss. I told my surgeon and he and my nutritionist put me on a Vitamin regime for three months and it stopped falling out and grew back. I am at goal and have no problems. The head hunger is the hardest thing to deal with and learning that your taste buds change, you are no longer on a schedule to eat. You have to learn to only eat when you are truly hungry as now you are eating to fuel your body not your emotions! I was 51 when I was banded and was over weight my entire life. For the first time in my life, I am at a normal weight and BMI and I am now 52. It is exciting and really motivating to go through all of the changes during this journey.

Welcome! I guess hairloss was not a major concern for me. My daughter had a lot of hairloss, and she has "skinny" hair anyway. I think that depending on your style, a good cut is essential. I had long hair, when I 1st started losing, and then had it cut into a bob, above my shoulders, which I have worn for the last 2 1/2 years. Best wishes, and once again, welcome to the site!