Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

God is testing me big time

I came to Tennessee to be with my daughter to get my lapband surgery at Vanderbilt. The first two weeks here I had pneumonia, but fortunately before it hit I went to the seminar and also saw a PA with all my paperwork done. They said it would be a couple weeks before I heard back.

Well, here goes, Sunday I tore the medial meniscus in my right knee and ended up in the ER. I can't walk at all. I was at the orthopedists today who shot me full of steroids in hopes of getting a grasp on this but I have to go back next week and may need surgery to fix it.

Meanwhile Vanderbilt is ready for me to proceed. They want me to see the surgeon and get my surgery date. I can't do it right now....walking is something I have to be able to do...so although I'm all approved and ready to go I can't.

If you guys could throw a couple prayers my way that my let heals I would appreciate it. With God all things are possible. This is just one more test I think, but oh what a bummer.

I will definitely keep you in my prayers.As you said " With God all things are possible"...........let his will be done and in his time. Remember if he closes one door he will open another.I trust God will heal your injuries.Feel better soon.

Oh Doty, that is just unbelievable!! I was wondering where you had been. I will pray for the Lord's will in your life. I can't imagine the frustration you must be feeling, but I know you have a strong faith the get you through....not to mention a wonderful family. I got an e-mail yesterday and it said in part....."Faith doesn't get you around trouble, it gets you through it".

Does Vanderbilt know what happened? Maybe there is a way to have your knee surgery and your band surgery. I know they want you to walk b/c of blood clots and such, but you can't do that after knee surgery anyway, right?

You are definitely in my prayers!! Keep you chin up and please keep us informed. God Bless You!!

You also know that God doesn't give us anything we can't handle, and you will find the right answer to this. I am sorry you were delayed. There are reasons for everything, and I will pray for you that the path is clear. Keep your chin up!! And I am so sorry that you had this happen.

People have dual surgeries all the time and if they did combine your surgeries or did the banding you can still wear things called scd's they are little sleeves we put on your legs and it compresses and decompresses and keeps the blood flowin to reduce the chance of blood clots. Or if they do your knee surgery first u have to do rehab which will entail walking.......you can take blood thinners also to reduce the chance of blood clots. There is so many options but the best one is to let the ALL

People have dual surgeries all the time and if they did combine your surgeries or did the banding you can still wear things called scd's they are little sleeves we put on your legs and it compresses and decompresses and keeps the blood flowin to reduce the chance of blood clots. Or if they do your knee surgery first u have to do rehab which will entail walking.......you can take blood thinners also to reduce the chance of blood clots. There is so many options but the best one is to let the ALL MIGHTY PHYSICIAN HANDLE IT ALL. Everything is done by his time and not ours anyways. Sometimes we dont understand it but....we just work through it one day at a time. BEST OF LUCK

vanderbilt has no idea I've injured my knee. Having a dual surgery there would be a really tough job. It is so very hard to ever get to see anyone anyway. If I can get pain free with my knee I want to have the lap-band done and then worry about the knee, but I realize I have to be pain free first. I don't think my cardiologist would ever give me clearance for a dual surgery because of the time I would be out, and I would prefer having me knee done under a block if possible. I have a good orthopedist here. Tennessee has some fine hospitals and he is known as a very good orthopedist.

I'm just going to keep on praying and hoping, and I thank you all so much for those prayers. Please keep them coming.

If anything, the lapband surgery will allow you to have a swifter recovery from the knee surgery. I need a total knee replacement and the orthopedic surgeon told me to go ahead with the lapband first. I can't do the exercising that others do but I'm losing weight and decreasing pressure on weight bearing joints. Get some physical therapy for your knee so you can move ahead with the lapband surgery. Feel better soon.

Dody I think you should at least call Vandy and let them know what is up. They might have an option you haven't thought of. I have faith it will all work out.

Dody,

Definately call Vanderbilt and tell them whats been going on. I send you luck and love.

just for the record:

James 1:13 When under trial, let no one say: “I am being tried by God.” For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone.

Right on BiggestLoser! God is on Dody's side and so are we! Dody, Ill be praying for that knee, and you take it easy on yourself. no one is going to stop you from the band, its just a little delay really, it actually will help your knees in the future. the timing thing stinks tough. take care!

I called Vanderbilt this morning, but this is a huge facility where you always get an answering maching with a promise to return your call within 24 hours....they are on the phones all day there. This hospital is a teaching hospital and is blocks long including the University. I've never seen anything quite like it, and I have to say I'm impressed. They are ready for the surgery consult, and I have to meet with the anesthesiologist (that's a requirement I've never had in surgery but it is theres), also a nutritionist. I think their program with the nutritionist is about 3 weeks. I will get a surgery date when I see the surgeon. One thing though, they require you attend two lap band support groups before surgery and they are a mo. apart here....but I'm going to do everything within my power to get this done.

Things are at least begun. My knee is feeling good with the steroid shot. Now, to see if it lasts or not. I think I'm going ahead with the lap banding and I will walk, walk walk on my walker if I have too. I think it will be a good idea to take weight off the knee and that may make it better without surgery.

You are very right. With God all things are possible. My plate is full right now, but I've been there before and things have worked out. My kids have been great about all my setbacks and very encouraging that I follow though as planned.

Now I just have to hear from Vanderbilt and tell them the whole story, although I won't have a dual surgery if taking weight off helps. I'll deal with the knee afterwards.

Thanks everyone for all your support and prayers.

You are on the right track. :thumb: Who knows, perhaps Vanderbilt has a physical therapy program you could benefit from while doing all the other requirements for the band. The good thing about the band support groups is that we're getting toward the end of May and you can attend another one at the beginning of June. I was able to attend 3 groups within 2 mos b/c of timing like this.

I just pray your not in too much pain. :phanvan You haven't said much about the pain. Does the steroid shot take care of most of that? I'm so glad your able to be with your family. Keep in touch!!