Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's been over a year (5/2012) and I'm "only" 40lbs down... And still have a way to go! I would like to lose a minimum of 70lbs more however I'm not seeing that scale move! I get an adjustment like clockwork every 4wks and the scale will go down about 3-5lbs and either stay steady or regain about that much by the time the nxt adj comes around. I feel restricted and my diet primarily consists of salads, Soups, yogurt, Protein Shakes, chili, fresh fish and veggies...every once in awhile I will have some wine or ice cream (again...periodically).. I exercise 3-4x a week for 30-45 min intense tabata, kickboxing, strength training type regimens buuuut collectively it's NOT WORKING.. I'm really scared and desperate bc I keep thinking I didn't go through this journey of Lapband to only succeed 1/4 of the way! My MD and staff just keep saying workout harder, eat differently and I don't know how to do anymore of both.. My body is clearly stubborn (always has been in weightless w PCOS) and it seems to have adjusted to the band and this is it!! Pleeeease if someone can share if they've had a similar issue and eventually had a breakthrough I would appreciate some ideas and stories of hope!!

Sorry to hear that you're having such a difficult time. I know how frustrating it can be :(

Just curious..... Are you keeping track of your food; calories and Protein?

Are you being mindful of your carbs? Protein Shakes and yogurts have alot of carbs and sometimes too much of a good thing can be a disaster. Good luck, hope it gets better.

Sounds like you're eating a lot of things that slip right through the band, allowing you to eat more than you should. Stay away anything that's eaten with a spoon and focus more on dense items that'll keep you fuller longer, like a sandwich.

I am a fellow Soul Cyster (PCOS that is.)I am 9 months out and just hit 40 lb mark. I feel the same as you girl. As though I am losing the same 5 lbs. I feel restriction. I can go hours without hunger and I am NOT a snacker! As a matter of fact today I had a one egg omelet with low fat cheese and got stuck for 30 mins eventually threw up. I measure my meals.. Stay away from sugar, sodas, carbs etc. 40lbs sounds great mind you my 1st 20lbs came off in the first 2 months after surgery. I have had 4 fills and I am going for my next fill next week. I know myself and I know how severely I have improved my eating habits. I just feel like maybe I could have done this without the band. I was hoping to lose 80 lbs and wish I would have had the sleeve.

I just read soo many good reviews about PCOS being reversed with this surgery. So far I am still on 1000 mg of metformin daily.

Please do not be discouraged. Many, many slow losers on this forum did not reach goal until 2 or even 3 years out. Although band loss is slower than RNY or sleeve, many studies show that 5 year loss reports show the results to be about equal. Keep plugging on, and the suggestions about limiting carbs and eating solid Proteins are worthy of your consideration. I personally, started strength training instead of cardio and I believe it is increasing my metabolism while tightening me up into smaller sizes while the scale remains the same!

If you haven't kept a food journal I would TRY and keep one for a month... then try and review it with a nutritionist or your clinic. I would try to focus more on your sold Proteins.... they are better for your metabolism.

While I was losing (and still do) I kept cubes of cold turkey in the fridge as a snack and ate them with a VERY tiny amount of low cal dip that I make (I've posted the recipe here several times).

I only used Protein shakes for the 2 weeks following my surgery.

Hang in there... you can get back on track. I definitely think a nutritionist could help. Do you have access to a support group?

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

My body is clearly stubborn (always has been in weightless w PCOS) and it seems to have adjusted to the band and this is it!! Pleeeease if someone can share if they've had a similar issue and eventually had a breakthrough I would appreciate some ideas and stories of hope!!

Hi!!!

I also have PCOS and one thing that you should especially monitor is your sugar intake !! The PCOS messes with our hormone levels and makes our insulin levels spike. Definitely try to keep the daily sugar intake to under 25 g a day.

Some foods that I always associated with diets and being good were recently pointed out to me by my surgeon as being bad because of very high sugar content. Namely BANANAS AND YOGURT and frequent fruit. Even Greek yogurt (besides plain) has between 12-24 of sugar In a serving!! Just wanted to let you know as I was regularly eating both of these things! When I cut them back I immediately lost 13 lbs on 2 weeks, which is very rare for me as I am almost 4 years post op!!

Everyone is so awesome!!! Thank you for taking the time to read and respond...really means a lot! To answer some questions:

I do consult with a nutritionist once a quarter and do track my food online through WW and mostly stay within points, though Im sure with this plateau I'm probably not tracking EVERYTHING...

As far as food, good point about the bananas and yogurt..I do eat Greek yogurt mostly plain w fresh fruit and almonds and I also eat bananas bc I feel those are the only foods that i can get down without throwing up..oh and hummus too..I can eat small amounts of Protein like chicken, turkey, shrimp etc but most of the time I wind up throwing up bc it gets stuck... You would think after a yr I would be used to taking smaller bites..hahaaa... But bc I can only take about 2 oz of Protein at a time I wind up getting hungry quickly... So on average I need to eat every 3-4 hours.. I can't eat sandwiches for two reasons: if I were to eat any bread the only kind I can get down is flatbread but I don't eat it often bc it will get stuck.. But also a no go bc I can't eat things in layers.. Take a sandwich for ex.. I have to pull it apart eat the meat/protein first, one veggie at a time after that.. Same goes for all my meals, can only one thing at a time bc mixing foods = face in toilet time..

Thanks for the strength training tip.. Will focus on that for a month and see how that goes..

Finally, PCOS is a b***h! Gives me a hard time all around including infertility so right now my body is a big jerk and I hope with some additional nutritional guidance, your support, lots o' patience and even more prayer, hope and faith the needle will move and babies eventually!

Are you sure you're not too tight? I've read more than once on this forum that when you're too tight you might not lose weight. Maybe do a search for threads on being tight. See if it applies to you.

Best of luck!

So I told my doc that I was doing WW meals for Portion Control and on the go with my hectic work schedule since I refuse to do fast food. He got mad at me and said woman who do WW fail!

I am not liking my surgeon anymore!

He gave me my 4th fill an said lets hope its the last! What?

Im only down 40 in 9 months. I am tight know this! So if I go back and tell him to remove some Fluid will I gain it all back?

I feel like a failure!!!!!!

So I told my doc that I was doing WW meals for Portion Control and on the go with my hectic work schedule since I refuse to do fast food. He got mad at me and said woman who do WW fail!

I am not liking my surgeon anymore!

He gave me my 4th fill an said lets hope its the last! What?

Im only down 40 in 9 months. I am tight know this! So if I go back and tell him to remove some Fluid will I gain it all back?

I feel like a failure!!!!!!

Can you consult with another surgeon? He doesn't sound supportive with your situation!

Actually you sound just like me. It took me two and a half years to lose 81 pounds and reach my goal weight. What I did was stopped working out for a few days, watched my caloric intake and then started my workout again. I think our bodies just get tired sometimes. I also would incorporate a day of liquids as well to give my band and stoma a break. Then sure enough, the scale would move again. Hope this helps. Good luck.

My aunt is a nurse and said that if your weight plateaus you should eat 500 more calories a day for a week then drop it back down to your normal calorie intake the next. It tricks your body and kicks your metabolism back in gear. I've lost 57 lbs since last November and part of it is from doing that whenever my weight steadied. I get my first fill in September, so I'm hoping to drop even more! I fight with PCOS as well, so I can definitely understand your pain and frustration. Keep heart and don't give up!

Hi, I have been banded for 5 years and am at the point where I do not require fills. However, I still get yearly checkups. Loosing 40 pounds in one year is not a bad thing, everybody's body responds differently to the band. It took me about two years to loose 100 pounds, but I have kept it off and have completely changed my eating habits. I decided to go Vegan about a year ago and have noticed a huge change in my skin, hair and ENERGY. Give yourself time, it will be worth it :)