Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too tight or irritated?

Hi, I had a fill 7/18/13 just .25 and everything was good. I had an upper GI yesterday & now I can't keep anything down. Should I wait to see if I'm just irritated or is the band too tight?

That depends. Can you drink fluids and keep them down? If yes, then maybe wait a day or two and see if it's not just irritation. If no, then you have to go in ASAP because you'd be at great risk for dehydration.

Hi' date=' I had a fill 7/18/13 just .25 and everything was good. I had an upper GI yesterday & now I can't keep anything down. Should I wait to see if I'm just irritated or is the band too tight?[/quote']

Hi, I had my 4th fill Monday 7.22.13 and felt okay at first. The restriction was obvious right away. I could still get liquids down initially but slowly. Tuesday I wasn't keeping anything down. Today I woke up couldn't even get down my chewable Vitamins or crystal light. I made an appointment to get an unfill because I was panicked about dehydration. Then all of a sudden around 10-11 today I started keeping Water down and was able to eat a little. So I guess maybe it just took some time for the swelling from the fill. I've also heard people say they are tight in the mornings. Maybe that's what I am now. I would give you back the advice I received which is take it slow, but if you can't get any liquids down see your doc, you don't want to suffer from dehydration.

With good restriction you will be tight in the mornings. I usually have hot coffee or tea and yogurt. It loosens up as the day goes on. Drink slow and let any swelling go down. Try not to throw up because that will increase your swelling. Small sips until the swelling is gone. If you had a fill under X-ray then you are probably just dealing with swelling.

I had a fill on the 19th and could sip Water slowly, but I felt it. I wondered if I had too much of a fill and it was the weekend so I just rode it out. This continued for the 2 days that I'm required to be on fluids after a fill, and on the 3rd day, I wasn't as tight, but I definitely have more restriction. I think my stomach was irritated by the fill Also, I usually can't eat Breakfast till around 9-10am. As everyone else has suggested, just take it slow.

Justathing, it's weird how every doctor is different. When I get my fills, I stay on liquids for the rest of that day and the next day, everything goes back to regular food. Weird.

I eat two plain biscuits in the morning with my medication, I'm diabetic and have high blood pressure. Then I normally eat at six in the evening, anything else won't stay down.

Spoke too soon, had a horrendous evening tonight and found that I could eat with no problem, suddenly felt sick and it all came back up. Now my band is hurting for the first time since I was banded eleven months ago. I suspect I have caused my band area to swell. I'm going to stay on liquids for a couple of days, is that the right thing to do ?

Yes I only know what my Doc. Says & that is to only do liquids for 2 days then mushies for 1 day then solids & this time it was really hard cause I had to stay away ffrom peple & my son just turned 17 on the 14th so they got to eat cake and I just was able to have liquids cause my Doc did the barium then gave me a fill so this fill sucked lol but I got better aso I let them eat and I drank by myself lol.