Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to get a barium swallow this morning and found that my band had slipped. I have had problems for a year now and couldn't take it any more. My boyfriend wants me to have it completely removed but I'm scared about gaining weight back. I've lost 110 lbs! What do they need to do to correct the slip? The band is completely empty so that isn't the problem. Waiting for the dr to call me back to see what the next step is. I've had the band for 5 years and started having problems last year. I was told I had reflux and to take a medication. I was still having pain though and it was stopping me from being active. I did some research and found out that it could be a slip and that I don't have to live with this for the rest of my life. I just don't know what's next. Any info will help!

First of all ignore anyone that comes in here asking why it slipped. Secondly, you can come back from a slipped band. Whether they can fix it or they have to remove it you have options so just be strong and you'll get through this. If they have to remove the band you will probably have the options of either getting a new band or opting for a different surgery. That's the great thing about the band. If it doesn't work for some reason you can always switch to a different method. This will be a tough time but get support and you will make it. Good luck!

If you feel like you've learned over the last 5 years regarding how to eat nutritious and healthy foods you may do just fine? I sometimes wonder how I would do now that I've fallen in love with veggies and fruits if I had to have my band removed? If you have insurance or the financial means you might look at the sleeve? Seems to be the WLS of choice for revisionists? I usually agree with Guy but not this time? This forum is the place to tell all how you were successful and why you weren't? Most slips are unexplainable but sometimes there are reasons for a slip and if a bandster can educate us all as to why or how it happened, it could prevent someone else from making a mistake? Quite often it's something as simple as a stomach flu where violent vomiting is the culprit. At any rate, sounds like you were once successful so I'm confident you'll succeed with or without your band.

If you feel like you've learned over the last 5 years regarding how to eat nutritious and healthy foods you may do just fine? I sometimes wonder how I would do now that I've fallen in love with veggies and fruits if I had to have my band removed? If you have insurance or the financial means you might look at the sleeve? Seems to be the WLS of choice for revisionists? I usually agree with Guy but not this time? This forum is the place to tell all how you were successful and why you weren't? Most slips are unexplainable but sometimes there are reasons for a slip and if a bandster can educate us all as to why or how it happened, it could prevent someone else from making a mistake? Quite often it's something as simple as a stomach flu where violent vomiting is the culprit. At any rate, sounds like you were once successful so I'm confident you'll succeed with or without your band.

I just meant, ignore the trolls that come in here and want to point fingers at why she 'caused' the slip. Many times people want to comfort themselves by finding fault with the person and not the band. I just wanted to head that off at the pass. While understanding why a band slipped is important, trying to find a way to blame the bandster without consoling them can be very cruel and happens often in my experience.

When my band slipped, it required surgery. There were three possible options, when I went into surgery: The band would have to be removed; the band could be restitched or replaced; and what I really wanted was the band replaced or restitched and plication added. My surgeon couldn't say which it would be until he got in there to see what was going on. I was very lucky and woke up with my band restitched and plication added to help with weight loss and greatly reduce the possibility of another slip!!

what is plication? I just spoke with the dr and he can fix it in one surgery. I have learned a lot and can't wait until I feel better. I know exactly how it happened too.

Plication is similar to the sleeve without the actual removal of stomach tissue. WIth plication they staple or suture part of the stomach over onto itself to make a banana like pouch similar to what you are left with after the sleeve operation. Like the band it is touted as being reversible.

I was also informed that I have to do the diet all over again. The only problem I have is now I am lactose intolerant so it's going to be a little harder for me because I can't do the regular Protein Shakes and yogurt and things like that. Is there a place on this website that has the diet so I can plan before I go to the dr?

I didn't have to do the diet over. Just the normal npo after midnight the day of surgery.

My band slipped and had to be removed 2 weeks ago. I don't know why it slipped and don't really care why. i opted to not have it replaced or convert to another WLS. I have learned soooooooooooo much over my 7 years banded that I am confident I will be successful on my own. Already lost 7 pounds since the band was removed! :)

i can eat again and I can't get enough veggies!

What are the symptoms of a slipped band? I thought mine might have slipped because I couldn't eat anything more than a sip of liquid without feeling stuck for the last 3 days. Today seems to be a little better thou..... I have slowly been gaining lately and I'm really frightened. I couldn't do it at all without the band although unfortunately I can cheat the band which has been my problem lately.

I could never do it without anything so maybe there is another thing I could switch to. Any suggestions?

My symptoms were severe acid reflux and inability to eat solid food. Swallowing was becoming an issue in the days before removal.

I was having a problem eating so I went to have the band checked and I found that it was almost full some how. I had it emptied. I was having reflux issues so I went to a GI Dr. He did an endoscopy and when he did that, he found some swelling so he dilated my stomach. I got sick and threw up a few times and thats when I think it happened. I have lactose intolerance so I got swelling in my stomach and when I had pain that's what I would dismiss it as. Then I was reading other posts where people had reflux and belching and I thought maybe it could be more. Then once I was told that it slipped, I figured out the radiating pain I was experiencing throughout my back must be from that. I can't wait to get it fixed! I go in on July 19 and hopefully it can be fixed and I don't have to have it removed.

as for the Protein Shakes, , most are lactose free. muscle milk I know is.. yogurt is another story but you might research some of the websites on Protein shakes.. I thinnk GNC's lean shake is also lactose free.