Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kathy goes under the knife!

I was banded in September 2008 and have lost about 240 pounds since then, from 433 to 190. I'm finally serious about getting cosmetic surgery. I met with my plastic surgeon yesterday, and I am scheduled for my first of two surgeries on July 24! I am going to have a Tummy Tuck with anchor (vertical) incision, breast lift with augmentation, arm lift, and Lipo on the thighs. The second surgery (date TBD) will include the backside to make it a full lower body lift and a medial thigh lift. I am so excited! I know it's a lot of surgical procedures all at once, so I'm sure the recovery will be tough. But I want to get this done and out of the way!

To give you an idea of what my surgeon is dealing with, I've attached my "before" picture. That is, before plastic surgery but after 240+ pounds gone.

I will keep you all posted here with progress updates and pictures too. Any pre-surgery advice from those of you who have been down this road before?

Kathy

post-240233-13813141884774_thumb.jpg

I have no advice seeing as I haven't even gotten my band yet but I just want to say CONGRATS. The fact that you've lost SO much weight is an inspiration and a huge accomplishment. I would love to hear YOUR advice! That weight loss is really incredible congratulations I wish you the best on this next chapter in your life !

I'm thrilled to see that you've lost so much weight! Congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing your before and after pictures! Good luck!

Wow Congratulations!!!

Best wishes on your upcoming surgeries.

Way to go!!! that's awesome! I was just banded so I don't have any advice, but I wanted to tell you congratulations on your success!!!

Just be prepared for the recovery. I had a TT on may 22 followed by a breast reduction and lift on June 5. I guess I wasn't expecting to feel so drained and I'm getting a little restless sleeping in the recliner. But I'm feeling better today than I have in the last week so maybe I'm turning a corner.

The only other thing I would suggest is if you are in a relationship, make sure you prepare your man for what the girls are going to look like. I think my husband was a little overwhelmed with their appearance.

Good luck!

Hello Kathy congratulations in your amazing weight loss and kudos to you for having made a decision on reconstructive surgery.

I was banded 8/2010, weighed 300 lbs in a dress size 26...today am 164 and a size 8.

I am 12 weeks post op abdominalplasty and breast reduction.. I had 7lbs of fat/flesh removed... The best advice i can give is to get a "lift chair". I lived in it for 3 weeks... It is incredible how much help it was for me when having to get up, if even just to use the bathroom. I was not too proud to use a walker n shower chair either... best thing I did for myself.. My sister recently had surgery (hysterectomy) 3 weeks post-op and did not plan ahead she is still suffered because of it... It is incredible how much we use our ab region just to sit and stand, with the tt it is painful, and a tough recovery but I would do it again in a heart beat!! Gonna get my legs n arms done next!! But probably not for another year. Also be prepared to feel exhausted it takes alot out of you... I'm finally back to routine schedule with gym n work out, took me exactly 3 months to have energy to go back! Oh n crunches still hurt but I'm glad to be able to finally feel a bit normal again...

Good luck to you, you'll do great!! Hardest part is mentally preparing yourself! You've done that already!

CONGRATULATIONS. I had my "wings" removed for several reasons. Pain was way less than I expected, hardly any at all. Healing started very quickly, slowed down, and now is going quickly again. I look at my arms and can not believe how great they look. Very proud of your accomplishment.

Does insurance cover these skin removal surgeries?

I have no advice seeing as I haven't even gotten my band yet but I just want to say CONGRATS. The fact that you've lost SO much weight is an inspiration and a huge accomplishment. I would love to hear YOUR advice! That weight loss is really incredible congratulations I wish you the best on this next chapter in your life !

My story is posted on my profile, feel free to read it. In short, my best advice is to actively manage your band. Being either too loose or too tight (really!) will slow down your progress. Keep the faith, make good food choices, and find some kind of exercise that you enjoy. :-)

Just be prepared for the recovery. I had a TT on may 22 followed by a breast reduction and lift on June 5. I guess I wasn't expecting to feel so drained and I'm getting a little restless sleeping in the recliner. But I'm feeling better today than I have in the last week so maybe I'm turning a corner.

The only other thing I would suggest is if you are in a relationship' date=' make sure you prepare your man for what the girls are going to look like. I think my husband was a little overwhelmed with their appearance.

Good luck![/quote']

Can you explain what you mean by "overwhelmed" by the appearance of the girls? Was he not pleased?

Hello Kathy congratulations in your amazing weight loss and kudos to you for having made a decision on reconstructive surgery.

I was banded 8/2010' date=' weighed 300 lbs in a dress size 26...today am 164 and a size 8.

I am 12 weeks post op abdominalplasty and breast reduction.. I had 7lbs of fat/flesh removed... The best advice i can give is to get a "lift chair". I lived in it for 3 weeks... It is incredible how much help it was for me when having to get up, if even just to use the bathroom. I was not too proud to use a walker n shower chair either... best thing I did for myself.. My sister recently had surgery (hysterectomy) 3 weeks post-op and did not plan ahead she is still suffered because of it... It is incredible how much we use our ab region just to sit and stand, with the tt it is painful, and a tough recovery but I would do it again in a heart beat!! Gonna get my legs n arms done next!! But probably not for another year. Also be prepared to feel exhausted it takes alot out of you... I'm finally back to routine schedule with gym n work out, took me exactly 3 months to have energy to go back! Oh n crunches still hurt but I'm glad to be able to finally feel a bit normal again...

Good luck to you, you'll do great!! Hardest part is mentally preparing yourself! You've done that already![/quote']

Regarding the lift chair, did you rent this from someplace? My parents have a recliner I'm planning on borrowing but it's not a lift chair. Good idea about the walker and shower chair. I think I can borrow a walker and a shower chair shouldn't be too expensive.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Does insurance cover these skin removal surgeries?

Not in my case this time. I actually had a panniculectomy after I had lost about 80 pounds due to severe and worsening rashes. (See my full story in my profile.) Insurance covered that. The rest of this is cosmetic so I have to pay out of pocket.

Yes I rented the lift chair from a local rent to own agency and it only cost $14 a week... Well worth it. A recliner will help you sleep but you will still struggle with pressure from getting up. This may only be painful fur the first week it two. I was sleeping in my bed by week three however restricted to a prop-up position by pillows for a other week or two.

Can you explain what you mean by "overwhelmed" by the appearance of the girls? Was he not pleased?

I guess since the incision lines for the abdominalplasty were so clean and I had very little bruising and since it was considered the more serious of the two surgeries, we were just surprised how black and blue the girls were. They were so swollen and mis-shaped. Now (almost two weeks outs) they are much better. However I did have. Complication of escemea (sorry thats spelled incorrectly) meaning I had poor circulation to the incision and I have had some tissue loss to that breast. Because of that I won't have a neat scar. But he said when it heals, he will go back in and revise the scare. It won't be prefect, but he said it should be fine.