Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how do I know if im making the right choice

I have been over weight my whole life and I'm tried,.I'm really to be better ready to not have food take over me ! I'm just very scared my surgery is in Aug and its all i can think about ........what if i fail ?

I think that is something that crosses everyone's mind, but try to think of this.....what if you DON'T fail?? :)

I had the same fear, mostly that the surgery would have complications. I was self-pay because my insurance company does not pay for any type of obesity surgery and that was a lot of money to have saved. The surgery went well, the program didn't and that's because I sabotaged it after losing 40 lbs in 3 months. I then thought I could eat "in spite of the band" and believe me it only cause many problems...throwing up, pain in the stomach, tight bands. I thought I could never find the 'sweet spot" people speak of. I ended up over 3 years having 9cc in my band and still never feeling full. Then, after the flu and taking too much Ibuprophen for body aching , I developed esophageal and stomach ulcers and all the Fluid had to be remove to heal the stomach. Now many months later I 've had one fill 2 1/2 cc, and I'm starting over. I had to really listen to my stomach , not my head hunger. I've joined Overeaters Anonymous and understand where the real reason for the need to eat came from. I'm following my diet, exercising and losing weight. Do exactly what your medical team tells you. The band is only a tool, we have to vigilantly do the leg work. Trying to get a minimum of 20 gm of Protein in at each meal and only eating 1/2 a cup of food is a real challenge for me. The rest is doable and I'm so glad I had it done.

I have been over weight my whole life and I'm tried,.I'm really to be better ready to not have food take over me ! I'm just very scared my surgery is in Aug and its all i can think about ........what if i fail ?

I have failed at every diet and diet drug that has been on the market. When I looked at WLS, the question wasn't what if I failed, but what if I succeeded. But regardless if I failed or succeeded, if I did nothing but what I had done before than I would continue to gain weight and and end up in a wheel chair and an early grave.

WLS wasn't my first choice, and I only came to it after I had given up all hope of ever being normal.

That is my biggest fear - failure! I am guessing the majority of us on this forum fit into that category. That is why I have not told everyone about my WLS. My own daughter just found out and I was banded in December. I didn't want my kids to worry about me but hindsight is 20/20. I should have told my grown children from the beginning. The point being however is my kids have seen me go through every diet known to mankind including OA, wright watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem and the list goes on and on and on. I went to TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) for years and gained 30 lbs. I loved TOPS but I did more yo-yo dieting which was not healthy. I even went to a group called Weigh-In that my cousin lost 50 lbs with and has kept it off for over 30 years. No, I failed at that too. The difference between my cousin and myself was she had never dieted in her life. She went to this weight loss program and it changed her whole life. She is a success story but those are few and far between.

I have never, ever been thin. I was the fat kid growing up and it wasn't because my mother wasn't concerned; she constantly had me on a diet. I even went the pill and injection route but I now realize that I wasn't losing during my teen years. I was starving myself by eating an apple and an orange for lunch and nothing for Breakfast and a low calorie dinner. I never lost weight and now I know what starvation mode means. I wasn't eating enough calories to burn them off. My body was hanging onto every calorie because my body was in shock.

So getting back to the word failure, I know if I follow the rules I will hopefully be a success this time. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and the word success is positive and the word failure is negative so this time I'm going to think positive 24/7.

Good luck on everyone's journey to becoming a success!

I have been over weight my whole life and I'm tried' date='.I'm really to be better ready to not have food take over me ! I'm just very scared my surgery is in Aug and its all i can think about ........what if i fail ?[/quote']

Thanks you all for the encouraging words. I think getting down to the root of the problem about why I overeat is a good thing to do. I go for my nutrition class next week, I'll see what they have to say then