Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill Intolerance

Been silent for a while so I thought I would share what's up. I've been having unusual symptoms since I started getting fills in January of last year, mainly consisting of pain with the first bite, sip, nibble, whatever. I would be in pain when I put anything into my mouth. Once the pain would subside I was able to eat almost anything without restriction. At first I thought it was normal, or at least looked at it as a penance of sorts for bad eating habits. Surgeon was convinced it was first bite syndrome, so who was I to argue. My weight loss stopped dead, thankfully I didn't gain at all during this period, but because of the plateau, I was told to keep filling.

Fast forward to January of this year, my spirits were defeated. There were times I just wanted the band out, but I didn't want to give up on that. Surgeon had started believing that this wasn't my doing, that perhaps there was something else going on causing pain. After a few tests came back normal, we decided that perhaps I was one of the lucky few that just wouldn't tolerate the band. I asked what my options were and was basically told revision is my only recourse. I asked if we could try removing all the Fluid and see what happens (this option was always taken off the table quickly by the surgeon or his PA because of the huge risk of gain).

I'm happy to say that once the fluid was removed, I'm back to where I was after initial placement, no pain, also no hunger, no feelings at all from my stomach. Now I have to adjust to not having mechanical restriction, I can eat anything and almost any quantity. It's the first time the surgeon has seen this, the intolerance to any fluid without there being restriction, and he's still willing to do a revision if I want, but I have concerns about any revision since I'm not tolerating any fills whatsoever.

I'm not dogging the band in any way, I think it's a great tool. It's done wonders for my wife and my mother, but just want to put out my story and my complication. After all the more information that's out there the more informed someone can be when deciding which way to go.

I'll try to keep this updated as I continue this journey, but I'm horrible about remembering to update.

--Josh

I found this very interesting. Ive been concerned a bit myself. I was talking to a friend the other day and told them that i have yet to feel any restrictions on the amount I can eat. I get stuck if i take too big a bite. And I get stuck if I don't chew enough. However I can still pretty much eat as much as I wanted. I've had some fills. I've had the band since Feb.2012. I've lost about 60 lbs. But am still nervous because I can sit and eat as much as i want. For dinner the other night I had 2 slices of pizza, and could have easily had a third. Poor food choice, I know. But its there in front of me and , well if I could have said no before band I probably wouldn't have needed one. When I asked my doctor about this the answer I got was that the band will not limit the amount you eat, but will makle you feel full longer between meals. Has any one else experienced this?

@Josh- Perhaps it's not a matter of "fill intolerance" but rather the band is simply tight enough all on it's own without any Fluid. Some people never need a fill- you may be one.

@Draven- you have to remember the band isn't supposed to physically stop you from eating. You say "However I can still pretty much eat as much as I wanted". That may always be the case and this exactly why it's so important to stick to band sized portions. The band isn't supposed to force you to eat less and if you're striving for it to do that you could very easily end up too tight by accident.

The band is supposed to keep satisfied on less food for longer periods of time, not physically stop you from eating anything.

Have a look at this link, it's by Dr. Simpson and I think you'll get a lot out of it: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Interesting story, but don't give up hope. I know folks who have lost over 100 pounds with no fill, just by following the portion sizes and eating healthier stuff.

Thank yo Mis and Chez. That is how i've been handeling this whole journey. When I go to eat more, or got to snack during the night I always say to myself- I had surgery so I wouldn't do this anymore. On most days that usually stops me. Mis, I'm going to follow up on that site today. Thank you for that. I think I was concerned because a good friend told me that they, as well as any one else with band could never physically eat that much. That than it would only just be another diet. I became nervous because I know I can physically eat that much, I'm just choosing not to.

Thank you all for the support.

Yeah I have a friend on here who has had no fills and has lost over 60 lbs since December. She can eat more things then I can and she can eat more but is very careful. She also exercises a lot. Mis is right there are people who never need fills. There was a lady at my first group who had lost over 150 with no fills. Keep us posted!! Dont forget most of us can eat more then we should but we chose to stop. The band will not stop this for most.

Mis, I just read that site. THANK YOU SO MUCH. It was an eye opener.

Josh...are your fills done with flourocospy? Maybe you can ask your surgeon if that is an option.

Draven....I am like you. I had my first fill and I can eat more than a cup and don't feel any restriction. I just have to keep in mind that I shouldn't eat more just because I can.

Good luck guys.....we can do this!!!

Josh, if you're not feeling hunger, that is restriction. When a fill is given without considering satiety there is a risk of causing damage. It's better to be a bit cautious with fills, fully understand how the band works with your body. Many people are too aggressive with fills because they think restriction is the band stopping them from overeating or eating the wrong foods. When I go to my band doctor they ask me the following questions:

How much can you comfortably eat? (1/2 to 1 cup)

How long are you taking to finish your meal? (20-30 min, stop at 30 even if there is food left)

How long after eating do you feel hunger?(4-5 hours)

Do you find yourself looking for food? (Head Hunger)

Are you drinking at least 64 oz Water per day? (I drink about 90 oz Water per day)

This is how my doctor determines the need for a fill, along with weight loss. If I'm losing a pound per week, no fill is needed. I don't exercise and due to band complications, all my fill was removed last June. I still eat band friendly foods to the extent my motility disorder allows and per my GI doctor's instructions and I'm still losing slowly.

First bite syndrome has nothing to do with the band itself. It's an irritated LES that spasms the lower part of the esophagus closed. When it relaxes, you can eat. My doctors are finding a correlation between first bite syndrome and later esophageal issues. The first bite is retained in the esophagus, feeling a lot like food isn't passing thru the band...it hasn't even reached the band. Just my $.02

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and support.

I'm ok with where things are now, I don't think I'm one of those that doesn't need a fill as right now I can eat whatever I want and in whatever quantity I choose. My lack of hunger with no fill is eternal, I feel nothing from my stomach, no hunger, no fullness, no aching when I have the flu, it's like the nerve has been switched off around my stomach. This is how it was for the 6 months after my surgery right up until I had my first fill.

I have had fills both blind and under scope, don't think anything was done incorrectly, just think that my body doesn't tolerate the added pressure from a fill. Even when I was at 8cc, I could eat pretty much unlimited once things settled from the first few bites.

Surgeon and I believe that it's an issue of regulating gas pressure in the upper pouch. I've never, even before surgery, been able to belch and vomiting is nearly unheard of, so the theory is that once I started filling, the opening was small enough that food would prevent the air in the upper pouch from moving into the lower as it was being displaced. That was the cause of pain, once it pushed it's way into the lower stomach where the displacement was less, everything was fine and I could resume eating. Not sure if that's the case, but it's the theory we came up with based on the symptoms and my history. Don't know if this is still the issue after the Fluid was removed as I have absolutely no feeling from my stomach.

Also I was told first bite syndrome was the tendency to take too large of bite or eating too quickly when starting a meal.

Like I've said, I'm not anti band in anyway, shape or form, I would strongly encourage anyone looking into WLS to look at the band. Just pointing out my struggles with it.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and support.

I'm ok with where things are now, I don't think I'm one of those that doesn't need a fill as right now I can eat whatever I want and in whatever quantity I choose. My lack of hunger with no fill is eternal, I feel nothing from my stomach, no hunger, no fullness, no aching when I have the flu, it's like the nerve has been switched off around my stomach. This is how it was for the 6 months after my surgery right up until I had my first fill.

Actually, that is exactly what the band is supposed to do. You're not hungry all the time. That means the band is working, and in your case, it's working without a fill.

Again, as stated above, the fact you can eat whatever you at whatever quantity you want has nothing to do with needing a fill. The band is not supposed to physically stop you from eating. It will always be your job to monitor your portions, not the band's job. This is why it's so important to stick to band sized portions.

Have a look at the link I originally posted for Draven, it will help you too: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Well said Mis!

While I appreciate the link and all the help, I don't understand the need to make everything fall under the "see, the band is doing exactly what it's supposed to" header. I didn't mean I'm never hungry as a figurative statement, it is literal, I could go days without eating and not have hunger, I can overeat and not feel full or stuffed, I had the flu which used to cause severe stomach pains and yet I have nothing. There is absolutely no sensation coming from my stomach. That isn't normal for the band. Not per any doctor I've talked to, not per the manufacturer. I'm not here to dog the band, I've said nothing negative about it.

I'm putting it out there in case someone else is having similar problems, so they know they aren't alone and as a place for them to start to stop the incredible pain that was occurring.

Sorry if this is coming off harsh or as an attack, that isn't it's intent.

Mis' date=' I just read that site. THANK YOU SO MUCH. It was an eye opener.[/quote']

I love that site too and also send to others. It is exactly as my doctors say as well.

Sorry you are having such a difficult time Josh. Please keep us posted and sending you good thoughts.