Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slippage..convert to Bypass???

So here is my story....looking for advice, shoulders to cry on, etc...

My band was placed in December of 2004. Since that time, I had a slow weight loss but managed to take off about 50 lbs. I moved to another state last fall and even though I needed a fill, was unable to get anyone to see me since I had my surgery elsewhere...in Seattle. In February of this year, I started getting really bad reflux, PBing, pain etc. I was not able to keep anything down, including Water. Thus began my fight to get seen by someone, anyone, here in Southern CA. I got an emergency appointment with Dr. Billy in Ventura...an hour and a half drive from home, who said that he could revise my band for me after an UGI showed that I have a Slipped Band. Got an unfill, which has made it easier, but still have a bit of restriction/discomfort.

We have a POS insurance plan which means that I have to have a referral for specialty care and they said that I had to first see a general surgeon within their network before going to a Bariatric Surgeon...now this was told to me before I took it upon myself to go to Ventura to take care of the immediate problem of starving to death! In the meantime, the surgeon that they had referred to me had no appointments for me to even see him until May. They also were one of the offices that I had called on my own to be seen emergently...they refused to see me since I did not have my surgery there. So anyway, it is now two months later....I called to get a new referral and saw the surgeon today. He HATES the lapband...will not even touch it except to take it out. He thinks I should convert to a bypass, which I have to say is scary, but some of the things he is saying makes sense since I have seen so many problems with the Band lately from other patients. My first concern was the irreversibility of bypass and some of the nutritional problems I have seen in earlier GBP patients. My starting BMI was 39.6....now it is around 33. I know that it would go back up if I do not do something.

I am really hoping to find someone here that has been there and done that, and would like to share their thoughts and experiences to help me make a decision. I have seen two doctors with two very different oppinions and my head is spinning. :(

I think I got most of the details in here, but let me know if I need to explain anything further....Thanks for your responses!

Lisa Kay

First off, I'm soooo sorry you're having to deal with this. It's not fun - been there, done that. I wish I had had the option of converting. I, personally, would have. Many people here are opposed to bypass so you'll probably get a lot of responses to not do it, but you're going to have to decide what's best for you. It is really hard without the band, but there are a few that have had their bands removed and have maintained their weight loss. So it IS possible. There are a couple of LBT members who have converted to the DS (deudonal switch).

I wish I could be of more help. Good luck with your decisions.

You are the only one that can make the best choice for you.

That being said, if something ever goes wrong with my band, yes, I will definitely convert to another form of weight loss surgery, probably RNY.

I can't choose for you but I think, if I were you, I'd find a doctor who wasn't prejudiced against OR for a particular WLS. Who's to say his reasoning is that he just doesn't want to spend time or money learning a new procedure and by denigrating the band he can keep his practice busy? I'm not against other WLS but I am an advocate for questioning my health caregivers' motives and seeking a second or even a third opinion. JMHO.

I agree with Donna. Get more opinions. It seems awfully extreme to me to refuse to fix a slipped band (if there is no medical reason it cant be fixed) and elect to put you through an even more extreme surgery that has a very high death rate.

As others have said, this will have to be your choice. But don't let one biased Dr make your decision for you. It's your body and your life. Get all of the facts and NEVER let them bully you into something you don't feel right about. Especially something that has the potential to cause you problems for the rest of your life. Band problems are fixable.

I couldn't agree more with Donna & Susan - get another opinion! In my case the slip was repaired with a new band right away. That this doctor is refusing to even consider that possibility is just infuriating to me. You've been through so much, and I know how hard every day is when your band is slipped, but try to find another doctor who is band friendly so that you can get an unbiased opinion. You can always tell them to give you a bypass if they get in there and decide that you can't be rebanded because of excess scar tissue. (((HUGS)))

Thanks for everyone's replies. I already have an appointment scheduled with a different Surgical Center (USC). I was planning on canceling it, but will probably keep the appointment and see what this doc has to say before making any decisions.

Lisa Kay

Smart decision Lisa! Let us know what you learn from the different Dr ok? You've really been in my thoughts!

Hi Lisa - Im hoping we can work together on this ebcause i just read your story and let me tell you a little about my story --

lap band 9/2005

02/06 - slip

03/06 - re band

throught the past 5 years I have STRUGGLED and the ONLY time i lost weight was when the bad was so tight I barely could drink Water. One day I would be able to eat yogurt, the next day it would get stuck -- it was this way constantly and Id never know what i coul or couldnt eat unless i tried - so in teh end I have a band with 1/2 fill so i can eat normally but it defeats the purpose of even having TWO surgeries because here I am weighig in 10lbs les then my 1st surgery and 10 more then my second....

Just went to the Dr. yesterday and he suggested I look into the bypass revision. He made it sound really good but he also didnt leave out the fact that because it is a revision - the risks are automatically higher for compications.

I sit here wondering if my body had this many compications with a simple band who will ti react to a bypass?

Maybe I will do great with bypass and i will finally see results Ive been striving to see forever

what is I am the 15% that thigs go drastically wrong

My job now covers this revision - if I waitr health care might change

I too dont know what to do!

Complications? What kind of complications? Like is its "dumbing" more often.. k I can handle that..

If its leakge... that can cause death.. IDK

I wish I could survey 100 ppl who had this themself!

Help for us both

What ever we decide , we r not alone!

Lisa (yes im lisa as well)

Hi Lisa,

I am really sorry that I am just now seeing your post. I hardly ever check the email that was linked to this forum but just changed it to the one I do use now. Anyways, I was rebanded shortly after my last post....August 2006, I think. I have not lost any weight at all since the revision...slowly putting the weight back on and not sure what I am going to do now. I weigh in at 210...my original starting weight was 235 so 25 lbs down, 25 up from lowest weight. not worth the pain and suffering from two surgeries, that is for sure! I think i am going to go to my doctor here in VA and discuss my options soon. I would really like to just take it out and live my life but I know how unhealthy I am making myself by continuing to carry this extra weight around.

Let me know what you decide. I will definitely keep in touch. I know there are a lot of options out there that were not available a few years ago and I have not done any current research...had my head in the sand, I guess, but the journey continues....

I had my lap-band sgy in 03/07/2008 and I lost 40 and gained almost all of it back. I am thinking about doing the bypass, but not sure if my insurance will allow it. I am not sure what to do.

I slipped and was rebanded. I quite honestly would have a hard time doing the sleeve. I read some message boards and I saw just as many complications.

Can I ask if you had the realize or the Lapband? I know that the realize has a lower incidence of slippage. That may be a good alternative.

I slipped and was rebanded. I quite honestly would have a hard time doing the sleeve. I read some message boards and I saw just as many complications.

Interesting.

Because of a huge hiatal hernia that ruled out the lap-band for me- I even went into the OR for band placement- I researched, and then decided I would try for the sleeve. The sleeve actually has fewer long term complications than the band; its complications are mostly short term like leaks.

But then my insurance denied the sleeve, which leaves me with the option of RNY unless I want to go self-pay. I've done more research, and am pretty OK with the RNY now. It helps to have a top notch experienced surgeon doing it- I had to switch doctors along the way.

Lisa Kay, I'm sorry for all your complications, and I'm glad you're seeking at least another opinion. All of the surgeries have their advantages and their complications. In my case, I think my excess weight is riskier than surgery.

I have realize band and have not had a single problem with my band.